Dakar 2003 On Speed Channel!

fishd00d

What A Joke
Reaction
The coverage of the Dakar 2003 started today.

Its on Speed Channel EVERYDAY at 4PM PST.....should be on for a few weeks daily.....

Go Big Or Go Home
United Jumping Truck Society

BlueCoyote

Reaction
Just checked, DirecTv lists it as being on again a 9pm PST.
Looks like time for TeVo

Who are you calling Coyote ugly?
84 Toyota p/u Rokrawlr
86 4rnr
80 Toyota MDR Project

fishd00d

What A Joke
Reaction
It might be on later in the night also....I know its on at 4PM PST also because I just watched it....

Go Big Or Go Home

hammer

Reaction
This year there are 3 VW Jimco's entered into the dakar.
#203 Kleinschmidt currently 64th overall
#215 Henrard Currently 15th overall
#247 Depping currently 13th overall

Attachments

• 5-40922-buggy_rot_d.jpg
    5-40922-buggy_rot_d.jpg
    19.2 KB · Views: 125

jeff

Reaction
It was on again at 9:pm. I liked the coverage of the big apartment sized trucks. At 5:am on Friday they are showing another hour of Dakar Highlights. Then at 4:30pm they have 1/2 hour of highlights and then a repeat at 9:30pm.

Aloha

JrSyko

Jerry Maguire
Reaction
Is that Heida Kleinscmidt (SP?) the female driver who drove for mitsubishi and always does pretty well?

See ya in the dirt!

Electrons_Rule

Reaction
Does anyone know if there is a Protruck running this year? Bruno Saby has in the past but I didn't see him in the entry list....

Desert racers should be proud - much of their technology comes from American desert racing - including shocks, drivetrains, tires, etc.

I'm waiting for the day someone takes enters a Trophy Truck....

martininsocal

Reaction
If it is her, wasn't she the one who was involved with the obvious blocking of the schlesser buggy a couple years ago, so Mitsubishi could maintain a lead, then when a schlesser team car did the same thing to her, they hammered them with a time penalty, handing the win to Mitsu?

Hammer, who did the bodies on those Jimco's? very cool, Street Legal anyone?

Martin

If your gonna go, go BIG

Rory

Crayola Killer
Reaction
......And what web site did you find those pic's. I'd like to see more of those cars....PLEASE!

Racers Only

JrSyko

Jerry Maguire
Reaction
I looked it up, and it is not her. She is still driving for Mitsubishi. Bruno Saby is still racing a Protruck, however he did not finish. His number was 209, and if you go to the website, you can look him up. The Schlissenger buggies did not finish also, but I don't know why. Its weird as they usually do pretty well.

See ya in the dirt!

fishd00d

What A Joke
Reaction
<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.dakar.com>http://www.dakar.com</A>

Go Big Or Go Home

Mark_Miller

Reaction
It is Jutta and she is driving a VW now. She is a really good driver, myself or Larry Ragland can attest to that. Bruno lost his pro truck ride and ford is trying to sell his truck, if anyone interested ford europe guy has been bugging me. You'll notice Schlesser has a Ford now so no need for bruno's antics. Also as for pro trucks there is one entered and it is Eric Vigouroux. It's his second attempt, last year he made it about as far as bruno, maybe day 6 or 7. I met him on the boat last year and he's a pretty nice guy but he's just learning and won't be in contention. I'll check back daily if anyone has questions ask away.

Mark_Miller

Reaction
And to the question of Jutta Blocking, No it wasn't her, that was Servia who is Schlesser's water boy. And he was blocking Masuoka who was leading on the 2nd to last stage by less than 2 minutes. When Masuoka got frustrated he went to pass and hit a stump and tore of a rear corner. The whole penalty came because Servia and Schlesser were supposed to start behind Masuoka but instead took the start ahead of him, knowing they'd get a time penalty but expecting Masuoka to freak.... which he did and lost the rally over, but the FIA jury decided on taking the win from Schlesser for this act. And Jutta was in third pretty far back and got the win. Last year's second to last stage was basically the same stage between Tichit, Kiffa and Dakar.

MikeLeung

Reaction
Those VW Jimcos look pretty awesome from the pictures. On there website they have one pic of the car with no body...looks like all desert racing tech. Fox triple bypass shocks, BFG projects, JIMCO frame..etc.

So when are these guys gonna bring there Dakar cars to Baja??

martininsocal

Reaction
Mark-before the schlesser team pulled the early start to block Matsuoka, The Mitsus ran a block party on schlesser, it was on tape and was played on TV. She claims tohave never seen him behind her, but he gave her the chrome horn several times, she just didn't move and held him up. That is why he decided to run the team block a couple days later. It was pure sponsor politics, privateers be damned, let a factory ride win!

Martin

If your gonna go, go BIG

Mark_Miller

Reaction
I remember that also, and it was questionable, because you are not allowed to bump a car there like we do, I just didn't think it was a race tactic like the last deal. It's one thing to say I didn't move over when someone caught me, it's a whole different deal when you take the start in the wrong order, knowing your going to get a time penalty but expecting masuoka to take himself out of the race in desperation. Also Schlesser is an FIA jury member, so for them to dq him was a big deal, not political at all. If it was political he would have just got the time penalty and he'd have won that Dakar. Over there Schlesser is treated as a Factory backed guy just like the Herbst are here.