Dakar 2011 Stage 3 - San Miguel de Tucuman > San Salvador de Jujuy

Tipracer

Reaction
Ok, this is bugging me....We all know Robby can drive but one hour and change behind this early....are the vw's / bmw's just that much better in this area than the hummer? Just for speculation sake say robby switches the hummer to 4wd and the limitations imposed by the ASO...does the US even have the resources to build such a beast? What are they gonna do take a Jeep Rubicon/KOH car and make it to the finish??? We have seen that RG CAN stick with the leaders...but to best them overall is gonna take a different program and a little help from the ASO...these wrc stages are killing RG

Chris Tobin

Reaction
Remember he also lost an hour getting stuck on a rock yesterday so he would be a half hour or so behind not and hour and a half if he had stayed on the road... He made a driver/navigator error and that hurt him more than 2WD so far...

Hog Wild

Reaction
Website
www.SonoraRally.com
...these wrc stages are killing RG
If Kellon had stage notes like they use in WRC, i.e. the sharpness of EVERY turn was in his roadbook, would that help enough to get him through those WRC stages 10 minutes quicker? It could definately help save him from mis-judging a turn and going off into a big rock, but could he carry enough extra speed into and through each turn if he knew ahead of time how sharp it was? Could he and Kellon learn to work together, WRC style, to benifit from that? How much $$$ would such detailed stage notes be worth?

wessen

Reaction
RG is used to driving HARD in straight lines... (baja's)
this is diffrent
he will make good times when they hit the dunes tomorrow.
there the long travel does make a difference!!!

Chris Tobin

Reaction
If Kellon had stage notes like they use in WRC, i.e. the sharpness of EVERY turn was in his roadbook, would that help enough to get him through those WRC stages 10 minutes quicker? It could definately help save him from mis-judging a turn and going off into a big rock, but could he carry enough extra speed into and through each turn if he knew ahead of time how sharp it was? Could he and Kellon learn to work together, WRC style, to benifit from that? How much $$$ would such detailed stage notes be worth?

So are you saying that you could have helped the team save 10 minutes a stage, but withheld that info even though you already did the homework, because you couldn't work out a deal to sell them the info? Thats what it seams like to me...

And, if that is the case, I think it was a bad business model on your part... If you already put in the effort to create the master map, maybe you should have given the team (or teams that you were trying to sell to) the first stage and if they liked it and wanted more then they would buy from you, but just saying I can map better than your guys if you pay me, probably wouldn't get many teams to pay you would it?!?!?!

For years now Robby has said that they study google earth the night before to help in navigating, why do you think you could do better than the teams and navigators that are doing it already?

I'm not trying to attack you Hog Wild, I'm just wondering why if you have something that you already put the work into, why you would hold onto it rather than give it away... What is there to loose? You won't get paid either way, but wouldn't it be cooler to not get paid while helping than to not get paid while saying if they used my stuff they would be much faster and still be in contention for the overall??? And after that free trial, if it really was that good I bet the teams would pay nearly anything to use it the next day and so on...

my 2 cents...

Ferrari333SP

Reaction
Remember he also lost an hour getting stuck on a rock yesterday so he would be a half hour or so behind not and hour and a half if he had stayed on the road... He made a driver/navigator error and that hurt him more than 2WD so far...

Some people seem to have forgotten this.

michael_loomis

Reaction

I thought I read that RG said they were only stuck there for 10 mins? The rest was something else? Was he limping that trans axle in?

RG is used to driving HARD in straight lines... (baja's)
this is diffrent
he will make good times when they hit the dunes tomorrow.
there the long travel does make a difference!!!

jajaja.. you apparently have NEVER been to Baja!

bufeo

Reaction
..jajaja.. you apparently have NEVER been to Baja!

You might want to clarify that for Wessen as Baja California, since there are other 'bajas' in Spain and Portugal...and perhaps in other places where Spanish has influence.

Allen R

Chris Tobin

Reaction
I thought I read that RG said they were only stuck there for 10 mins? The rest was something else? Was he limping that trans axle in?

No I think the press release said he was stuck for over an hour and that he lost reverse in the transaxle while he was trying to get it unstuck...

michael_loomis

Reaction
You might want to clarify that for Wessen as Baja California, since there are other 'bajas' in Spain and Portugal...and perhaps in other places where Spanish has influence.

Allen R

I didnt think a clarification was needed since it was him that brought up Baja.

No I think the press release said he was stuck for over an hour and that he lost reverse in the transaxle while he was trying to get it unstuck...

Ya, reverse is an easy gear to blow... but that usually means its cracked or stripped and the pieces are in there bouncing around taking out out gears/ r&p, etc.

Chris Tobin

Reaction
Ya, reverse is an easy gear to blow... but that usually means its cracked or stripped and the pieces are in there bouncing around taking out out gears/ r&p, etc.

Yup, he is lucky it held together to finish the stage... I'm sure they put a new transaxle in that night and rebuilt that one if it was rebuildable as a spare...

Chris Tobin

Reaction

Scott explained where this comment was coming from to me and I misunderstood his comments... He did some cool Google Earth stuff that we saw but is back to his regular job now...

CT

01_el_tiburon

Bait Fish
Reaction
a lot of cars didnt finish or dont apear on the overall or stage list as finishers ? what happened ? cant see the chevy, skilton ford or my two mexicans.....

JasonHutter

Reaction
Website
www.facebook.com
There was a video of Robby getting towed to the bivouc because of his transmission on the road after the special....

Jason