• Forum membership has its advantages....

Dakar 2013 - Stage 11: La Rioja, Argentina -> Fiambala, Argentina

ctadarts

Looks like Robby is going to get the stage win!!

Even though they have passed CP1, the point at which the car/truck special has been called to a halt, the leaders of the car special have been stopped by the race organisers on the last section of the route, namely, Robby Gordon, Stéphane Peterhansel, Nani Roma and Giniel de Villiers.

mexgamer

Kurt Caselli wins in bikes, Robby Gordon leads the cars and then.... THE STAGE IS CANCELLED.... all the Mini drivers are so freaking happy right now (I'm watching it live on Fox Sports Latin America). So I guess there are a few rules in the Dakar that nobody knows of:
1) If more than one american drivers/riders win the in the same stage there is something wrong. The stage must be canceled and a BS reason should be attributed to the cancellation.
2) If a French national does bad on a stage that stage must be canceled. If the weather makes it impossible to run the stage it will only be canceled if a French national who is leading in the standings is not leading in the stage (Specially if the driver is named Peterhansel).
3) French nationals are exempt of all penalizations.

I hope they give both Gordon and Caselli the win and do the same thing they did when that other stage was cancelled, but since they are both from the US, I HIGHLY DOUBT IT! I seriously don't understand why the French dislike so much the Americans (I'm Mexican and from an outside point of view it is really evident and stupid).

Also, correct me if I'm wrong, is the Dakar a lot shorter in South America than in Africa? (Counting only the timed stages and not the connections). They should handle the weather and the rivers, that's part of the challenge... I bet 80% of the Dakar drivers would not make it to finish line in a Baja 1000 peninsula run driving those T1 trucks.

Ferrari333SP

Facebook.com/Dakar

Paul Smith wins after Sebastian Husseini goes AWOL! Cars & Trucks race have been stopped, due to torrential flood, times of CP1 will be kept.

TRUKTOR

Well, a couple of things- but I don't want to get in the way of a good ASO conspiracy theory.

A. Peterhansel does not have to push at all. In fact, he'd be a fool to takes risks; he isn't a fool, so all he has to Do is keep it on the course, and he'll extend his record setting run to 11 victories. I thought it was interesting that He stated that keeping a good pace was safer than slowing down too much, since the level of concentration is higher, And you're less likely to make mistakes ( paraphrasing here ). So I expect him to maintain a good clip, but not An all-out pace to the end. Nobody will catch him, unless the Mini has a problem, which seems unlikely. Even more Unlikely is that SPH will screw up. Not impossible, but almost, I think.

B.RG surely wants a stage win or two before this wraps up. The terrain is better for the Hummer,and he only has a Few more chances, so I'd expect him to be pushing. You can't really even mention " RG beating SPH " by x amount Of time with a straight face - they are literally running two different races at this point. When it mattered, SPH pulled Time on RG after stage four. (edit- hmmm- I guess it didn't really matter after
Stage 4...anyway, SPH was faster than RG on the majority of stages ).

C. The Anti - French stuff is easy to play with, and their decisions and structure are open to criticism at times... But IF they call this stage, and leave the times stand with RG leading , I don't see how that is prejudicial against Robby. The French are not all crazy American haters, and I don't think that the ASO has a built-in anti American Bias
Necessarily, although I don't back up a lot of their decisions...I was very much anti- ASO with what I felt was their Unjustified witch hunting of Lance Armstrong. In retrospect, well, who does it look like was acting dishonorably Now ? Not that I agree with the ASO across the board- they have been as suspect as any organization , probably much More so.

Whatever faults we tend to automatically assign to the French ( military performance, lack of gratitude, and on and On ), we Americans can be just as silly - remember when Congress decided to make a point of changing the name Of French Fries to " Freedom fries" ? Of all the world's issues, Congress was all over that one, at least.
Anyway, the French make some really great Helicopters, just among the best....and maybe they called the stage Because of flooding, not because of where RG was running.

OK back to the Rally/raid, rant off.

Ferrari333SP

RG interviewed on Eurosport

"For us, it was a good special. It could have been a better special for us. Obviously, they canceled it. We had caught Roma, Terranova, and De Villiers. We passed all them."

TRUKTOR

SPH -

It hasn't turned out too badly at all for us

On every day that brings us closer to the finish, it's important to finish them without making any bib mistakes, so it gets us nearer to the podium. It hasn't turned out too badly at all for us today. But we were driving calmly. We were being careful where we put the wheels, trying to avoid going too deep into the river beds. It's better to lose a few seconds trying to find the right place to pass than losing several minutes stuck in the mud or water. We did see some water, but when we went through it wasn't catastrophic. But it's like what happened a few days ago, the water level can rise quickly and it can get quite deep within a matter of minutes.

TRUKTOR

KC-

The beginning was really tough. Due to the rain there was a bunch of ruts everywhere, so the first few guys had to go really slowly. I think I started fifth, so I was able to catch up. Then I passed Cyril at maybe after 60 km back and just followed on from there. Today was good, it was perfect. The dirt was wet so you could see fine and the weather was good, so it was a nice day. Save for a few drop-offs, the road-book was good today and I think everyone should be fine. I feel good and the bike feels good. I'm starting to get more comfortable with the road-book, so I'm just riding around. Before I really had a lot of trouble and missed some way points. Today was better, because I got to find my own way and didn't miss anything, so it was good. I'm taking it day by day every day.

TRUKTOR

Despres-

The stage in Fiambala always holds surprises in store. I'm more tired today after 190 km than I was for the day before yesterday over more than 800 km. There was a storm in the dunes and it started raining. It wasn't easy to navigate. We came across some streams full of mud and water, which brought back bad memories from last year. I don't know what today means in terms of results, but I'm just happy to be here without too many problems. Fiambala really is a sh**-hole. We spent time in the water walking alongside the bike. Today, everyone was a little bit calmer, but I knew it would be complicated. I'm surprised that I haven't seen more riders finish behind me, because at one point, there were 6 or 8 of us riding together. The pace went up a lot after Kurt overtook me. Perhaps that's why I'm a bit tired!

TRUKTOR

Barreda BORT -

We'll have to see if I can carry on

We went through plenty of dry river beds, so by the end, my goggles were dirty. There was a point where it was a little bit deeper and I fell. It was 50 kilometres from the end of the special, around the 180-km point. I banged my shoulder. I'll have a look at it at the bivouac this evening but it's really painful. We'll have to see if I can carry on. I fell because of the mud and my dirty goggles. I don't know what's wrong with my shoulder but it's really painful.
¡Ay, caramba!**

bufeo

Well, a couple of things- but I don't want to get in the way of a good ASO conspiracy theory....OK back to the Rally/raid, rant off.
Great comment!

Allen R

broncobaha

Well, a couple of things- but I don't want to get in the way of a good ASO conspiracy theory.

A. Peterhansel does not have to push at all. In fact, he'd be a fool to takes risks; he isn't a fool, so all he has to Do is keep it on the course, and he'll extend his record setting run to 11 victories. I thought it was interesting that He stated that keeping a good pace was safer than slowing down too much, since the level of concentration is higher, And you're less likely to make mistakes ( paraphrasing here ). So I expect him to maintain a good clip, but not An all-out pace to the end. Nobody will catch him, unless the Mini has a problem, which seems unlikely. Even more Unlikely is that SPH will screw up. Not impossible, but almost, I think.
None of this matters anyhow because In three years Stephan Peterhansel will have all 10, looking like 11 titles stripped from him when the ASO finds him guilty of doping!!
Lance+Armstrong+is+interviewed+by+Oprah+Winfrey+in+Austin,+Texas.jpg