• Forum membership has its advantages....

Dakar 2016 - Stage ?? - Damn > Its over

John Bitting

Administrator
I had to make one of these one last time, I dont want it to be over already.

Stage Summary

Long boring year without Dakar. Hurry up the next 11 1/2 months.

Yumaoffroad

it will suck even more if RG does not do 2017

PathfinderCS

Well, to be fair, there is more to Rally Raid than the Dakar Rally and Africa Eco Race. ;)

What's in store for the 2016 season? Well, there is the FIA World Cup for Cross Country Rallies; as well as the FIM Cross Country Rallies World Championship and FIM Bajas World Cup! There's also at least two or three separate rally raids being run under the "Dakar Series" label, and let's not forget the revival of the Silk Way Rally which will start in Moscow and end in Beijing. I'm thinking the Silk Way Rally will be a two-week event like the Dakar and AER.

Trust me fellas; the season has only started. :)

SteveRacer

The rally this year was less than ideal but I am really glad they persevered and kept the show going. After having 2 of the 3 countries pull out and some severe weather, it turned out to be an exciting rally. People also like to comment that the SA Dakar is not a true Dakar. I disagree. African Dakars are dune after dune. SA offers so much more with rally stages, dunes, fesh fesh, salt flats, flooding, extreme hot condition extreme cold conditions, rain and possible snow. It is a much more dynamic rally than the real Dakar ever was.

trophygoat

He'll be back, 100% no question
Why do you think so? Only reason I ask is because we saw the video of him mid way through the rally say "I'm going to really have to rethink my Dakar program... I doubt you'll see me back"
Maybe he will start a buy to drive the Gordini program? After all he has been talking up the escalation of his supercar Gordini idea

kaw500

It over but oh what fun. I love the challenge of finding, reading and watching all things DAKAR. For the last 12 years RDC has been my 1st log on each day to start the new year and I do so appreciate all the effort the RDC staff puts in, THANK YOU. All the posters? Well we are like family, we may not all agree and some have stronger opinions than others but in the end we all have one thing in common, a love of this event. This is not like football (american or the other kind known worldwide) where everyone is an expert, this is an acquired taste.

Thank you to everyone who posted and I will see you all back in 2017.

Petepecas

Come on out to Sonora Rally in April and get a little of that Dakar thrill right here in your back yard! Race, spectate, volunteer to help, whatever you're looking for we've got it. No internet needed, come and experience it in person!

Hat off to the organizers of this event.
It takes a lot of courage, determination and personal expense to make an event like this happen. Also, it's a perfect way to bring the Stage Rally culture to our region. It's a real challenge to navigate and drive these events, it takes more than raw speed and power... Teamwork between the right and left seat is a make or break element. It's like chess and racing... Way to go guys, this is event has great future... Should be marketed in mainland Mexico if not already. Don't disregard the Mexican Rally Clubs, theres a huge audience there.

Sent from the RDC Mobile App. Get it for your IOS device today

Dirty Harry

Come on out to Sonora Rally in April and get a little of that Dakar thrill right here in your back yard! Race, spectate, volunteer to help, whatever you're looking for we've got it. No internet needed, come and experience it in person!
Scott I cannot fathom how much time and effort it takes to put on a race like this. I hope that everyone in the Rally Raid section takes the opportunity to go the Sonora Rally, even if just to spectate. The feel is very different than your typical desert race.

Yumaoffroad

sonoran desert is huge plenty of room to NASSER the Gordini i know el martillo swaped an engine during one of these events

GelandeVentures

We'll see you at the Sonora Rally!!! We're total newbies to racing so we won't be surprised if we get our asses whipped! Be assured we are preparing the best we know how and won't go down without a good fight.

I've enjoyed every post on this forum during this Dakar. I have high hopes that the Sonora takes off and can be the American version of Rally Raid. That could easily happen with support from this community. This year's rally is longer and tougher with more competitors (40 max). With support next year it could get even better. With our American and Mexican raid fanatics getting on the band wagen in the coming years it could become a hardcore 5000 mile race.

Screw the French whiner ASO organization. Do it American style. Simple, fair and succinct rules. Look at the King of the Hammers rules - very open. Every year North American offroad races get better and faster. Why not do it with the Sonora Rally?

Again, this is just a newbie post. FWIW I'm psyched to have the opportunity to be doing this year's Sonora. We'll be running a stripped down low horse power G Wagen with a kick ass suspension. We'll see...

William

BoothPacific Films

I'd like to see another manufacturer jump in and give Peugeot a run for their money. It just seems as if the manufacturers take turns at the top in DAKAR and never really compete against each other. I'll give credit to Peugeot on an excellent program to win the DAKAR, but besides themselves did they have any real competition?

blue dog

My favorite participants were the Coronel brothers from Holland, they posted excellent recap videos daily, they are privateers, they were always happy no matter what the situation, and they seem like great salt of the earth brothers.
And they had a funky buggy with a motorcycle engine in it. what was not to like ?

blue dog

/\ and the Tim Coronel would answer any questions on his Facebook page daily, he was very open about anything asked to him regarding anything. It was very nice to see.

mrlentle

Blue - I'm on the same wavelength as you re the Coronel brothers. Did you check out their other racing video's on their YouTube channel? Pretty cool.

blue dog

Blue - I'm on the same wavelength as you re the Coronel brothers. Did you check out their other racing video's on their YouTube channel? Pretty cool.

I did, they race v8 super cars all over the world.
Where do they get there $$$$$ to play all year, every year.

Top notch dudes in my book.