• Forum membership has its advantages....

Dakar 2017 Stage 3 - SAN MIGUEL DE TUCUMÁN - SAN SALVADOR DE JUJUY

Chris Tobin

What is the dashed section between the two "CH" markers? Is that still a timed race section or one of the neutralized sections???

Chris Tobin

View attachment 176803
Appears to be neutral.
Must be some gnarly and/or tight roads. Looking forward to tomorrow's videos and how the altitude affects engines and competitors.
That's a bummer that they would take out about 25% of the special... Maybe they don't want the Pugs and Minis to run too far ahead of the Toyota's this early in the rally with the high altitude... but why bother having difficult high altitude sections if it is just neutralized anyhow???

Bricoop

Noticing total distance on SB's map is 512K, with about 25% untimed gives you 384km, which approximates the 364KM stated.

Here's the same area from last year, which makes me believe organizers are worried about the dramatic elevation changes and don't want guys racing during this time. Over 3k elevation gain in such short time distance will cause some issues and I'm sure they'll be looking for signs of disorientation at CP2.

upload_2017-1-3_18-18-36.png
upload_2017-1-3_18-18-1.png

upload_2017-1-3_18-17-13.png

Attachments

Short Bus

If you look at the elevation map for the neutralized section, it is steadily climbing. I imagine there is a single road leading up a valley to a pass. The first part of the stage will be lower elevations and the end will be on a high plateau. Perusing a map, my money is on the neutralized section being Ruta 40 through the Abra del Acay. I think this is a gravel road, but is relatively well maintained and not really appropriate for off road racing. They can't really "off road" either due to canyon walls or cliffs.
Screenshot_2017-01-03-20-54-59.png

JDDurfey

If the competitors are going to have issue with the altitude tomorrow they are in for a rough rally. It is only going to get higher all the way through the rest day and won't go down until back in to Argentina

Bricoop

If the competitors are going to have issue with the altitude tomorrow they are in for a rough rally. It is only going to get higher all the way through the rest day and won't go down until back in to Argentina
It will stay high(3-4K), but nothing shows as high as stage 3 through the rest day. They also say altitude sickness has a lagging effect and they are screwed through the rest day if they are sick on day1. Do factory teams helo their guys down the mountain?

Last edited:

mrlentle

upload_2017-1-4_18-35-33.png

Eurosport displays it a little different though still with 364km SS. Looks like it's planned that way rather than neutralized after planning of the stage perhaps? Looks like it's still 364KM SS :)

klajunas

164 km road distance to SS start
240 km First part of Super Special
148 km neutralisation - road section with tight time shedule
124 km Second part of SS
103 km - road distance after SS finish to bivouac

mattj112

View attachment 176817
Eurosport displays it a little different though still with 364km SS. Looks like it's planned that way rather than neutralized after planning of the stage perhaps? Looks like it's still 364KM SS :)
that second yellow section of the map is planned neutralized zone between the two time sections of the stage

Short Bus

Bikes are out early.
Bang bang is killing it today. He is up 5 minutes on 2nd place Ricky Brabec at WP1. Price is down 19 minutes at Wp1.

ZequeArgentina

I expect big movement today.
In bikes and quads, overall is being shaken up.
Big time gaps, and looks like navigation is more than an issue.
Still not reach neutralization, and after that big clim up the high altitudes, so a lot can happen today!!

SteveRacer

The section to the first WP sure looked tough for the bikes based on the time differences. Wonder if the cars will have the same struggle.

ZequeArgentina

Nasser overtook Loeb physically, and is now leading stage by 3m 35secs!!! Again navigation dis not Loeb´s and Elena masterpiece

mattj112

Xavier de Soultrait is at end first part of time section and lost 21m 20s from Barreda but has failed to validate a number of waypoints.