Dakar 2017 Stage 4 - SAN SALVADOR DE JUJUY - TUPIZA

Short Bus

RDC Crypto
Loeb:

“It was very complicated. For me, everything went well with the navigation everywhere. It was ok, but we had trouble with the engine which stopped during the stage. We lost about thirty minutes, I think. Then we found a solution to fix it and we could push again, so I pushed really hard. All the stage we tried to catch up some time and now we are here, so that's the most important thing. I expected much worse in the standings, so it's not so bad; much better than I expected during the stage! We're still in the fight for the win, that's good news".

Peterhansel:

“For us it was a really bad day. On the last note for the navigation, we got completely lost. It was necessary to stop, open the map and check the position, then try to find a solution. After, I was completely off-track to try to find the way point. I went into a big hole in a river and got stuck for twenty minutes. I damaged the steering a little bit and we broke a wheel. So, it's not really a good day, but compared to Carlos, maybe it's a little bit better”.

Despres:

“It's pretty amazing to win a stage after only three Dakars. It was not expected some years ago. It was a long day; it was a tough day. We started in some small dunes at high altitude and the car had maybe 20, 30 or 40% less power. It wasn't easy to avoid getting stuck. The sand was really soft. There were already one, two or three that we had overtaken, even four or five cars and then we knew that we had a good rhythm. After the beginning we were leading, then Carlos overtook us after 60 km and we followed him for the whole day. But unfortunately on a twisty track he made a mistake and he rolled the car, but I hope he will get here in a few minutes. They were ok and they were out of the car. It was great to follow him, or try to follow him the whole day: it's Carlos Sainz – he's not just anybody”.

Matthias Walkner (He actually caught Barreda by the end of the stage and got the win):

“If we are fair, we have to say that the others started first and I started eleventh. I had it much easier because I could see more tracks. Actually, at the beginning I didn't feel so good because the navigation was still tricky, many riders got lost and there were tracks everywhere. After 100 km, I felt pretty good on the bike, but I didn't think it was enough for victory. It's not so bad, but the bad thing is that Toby crashed. I hope he is more or less ok. I stopped with him and then they showed me that it was over for him. Health is the most important thing and I hope that he's ok. Of course, I'm happy to finish first, but I hope he's ok. We're not even half way there and the finish is so far away. After ten days more maybe we can speak about victory, because with the three minute gap it changes so fast, like yesterday when Joan was ten minutes in front of everybody. There's a really long way to go”.

WillG

RDC Crypto
Nice video on the Peugeot facebook page of their engineers in action. I reckon they can get Sainz to the start line tomorrow and the car will probably look brand new (or he'll retire!)

Peugeot Sport | Facebook

Chase 2

RDC Crypto
He's got cameras on board that Eurosport displays in the evenings as a bit of a Dakar diary. He's uber excited in all the clips and looks to be having a good time. Hope he's all OK - wouldn't be surprised if he was show boating for the crowds a little :)
Lyndon has been featured in the "Dakar Heroes" vids. His attitude for the most part is one of the things about Lyndon that make him a great guy. Here is today's "Dakar Heroes" vid with lots of "F"bombs from Lyndon:

Short Bus

RDC Crypto
Sainz crash. Sketchy video but it looks like he hooked a rock on the inside of the corner, rolled, and kept rolling right off the edge of a shelf road.

Short Bus

RDC Crypto
@1:35 in the stage 4 summary they show a pug making a pass on a Mini ( I think the red one is Hirvonen). It is a straight up drag race off a dune and the Peugeot walks the Mini pretty easily.

kaw500

RDC Crypto
Do you think another competitor would do this? I have total respect for Laia and her abilities, sucks if it this was on purpose. I just have a hard time believing it.

Laia Sanz; "I am very angry about how things went in stage 4. I was doing a correct navigation, but at one point I hesitated and asked a rider who deceived me. I lost half an hour for this action. I am upset with myself for believing him and with the rider for deceiving me. These kind of attitudes are wrong in Dakar Rally."

SteveRacer

RDC Crypto
Do you think another competitor would do this? I have total respect for Laia and her abilities, sucks if it this was on purpose. I just have a hard time believing it.

Laia Sanz; "I am very angry about how things went in stage 4. I was doing a correct navigation, but at one point I hesitated and asked a rider who deceived me. I lost half an hour for this action. I am upset with myself for believing him and with the rider for deceiving me. These kind of attitudes are wrong in Dakar Rally."

Not surprised, its racing. People will do anything for an edge. I have been wondering if other racers have taking issue with the amount of coverage she has recieved in years past.

kaw500

RDC Crypto
Wow, what a day.
Did GDV finish ? And how many minutes down is he.
Hit by lighting and finished the day. That dude is a bad a$$. Go Ivan.

GDV started 14th finished 7th 24 mins down. Pretty sure is 7th o/a 43 mins back

Silverstone

RDC Crypto
dakar-dakar-2017-damaged-304-peugeot-sport-peugeot-3008-dkr-carlos-sainz-lucas-cruz.jpg

dakar-dakar-2017-damaged-304-peugeot-sport-peugeot-3008-dkr-carlos-sainz-lucas-cruz.jpg

dakar-dakar-2017-318-peugeot-romain-dumas-alain-guehennec-tows-the-damaged-304-peugeot-spo.jpg

dakar-dakar-2017-318-peugeot-romain-dumas-alain-guehennec-tows-the-damaged-304-peugeot-spo.jpg

Short Bus

RDC Crypto

kaw500

RDC Crypto