• Forum membership has its advantages....

Dakar 2017 Stage 8 UYUNI - SALTA

Desert Dog

Dakar Finisher
I bet there were some serious spannering last night - this was the over-nighter where you could not have your assistance team with you. Even the press crew were kept away from the area in case they gave (or brought) assistance. There may be a few tears along the way today if stuff hasn't been finished / repaired last night!

mrlentle

I bet there were some serious spannering last night - this was the over-nighter where you could not have your assistance team with you. Even the press crew were kept away from the area in case they gave (or brought) assistance. There may be a few tears along the way today if stuff hasn't been finished / repaired last night!
Those with the most to lose may have been taking it a little gentler yesterday. I heard Loeb was under instruction to take it easy (Eurosport) so safe to say a few others did too.

Desert Dog

Dakar Finisher
Fair comment if you are a top team and have a 'new' car. But if you're a privateer and already having issues, it can be a nightmare! I remember one of the guys in 2015 running around trying to beg, steal or borrow stuff for his brakes until the early hours of the morning. He ended up blocking the hoses and running on the rear only.

Desert Dog

Dakar Finisher
Stage 08 Modification!!!

The consequences of the rain over the last few days has forced the race officials to change the route of stage 8. Rising water levels in a river bed due to be crossed by the competitors has led to the neutralisation of the day's special at CP1 after 174 km. The competitors will then head to the second part of the special at the border between Bolivia and Argentina via a 176-km link section.

Following these changes, the length of the special has been reduced by 73 km. After an initial 49-km link section, the competitors will tackle 171 km on the first part of the special, before the 176-km neutralised section.

The second part is unchanged, and when the competitors have finished it, they will have to travel 350 km to reach the bivouac in Salta. For the trucks, the day's special will finish at CP1. All the competitors will then head to Salta via a link section. The classification at CP1 will be used for the starting order for stage 9, the so-called "Super Belén" stage.

ZequeArgentina

Todays looks to be another day por Peugeot, the 3 of them are fighting, with all the 4wd vehicles don 3 or moe minutes just in the first WP.
Unless somethign happens (accident, mechanical or navigational failure) it is clear that performance wise the Toyota´s will not catch them.

Short Bus

Pugs are rolling - top 3 through CP1. Loeb in 1st by 2:57. I think that puts him in 1st overall.

st8.JPG

Short Bus

It sounds like they may end up further shortening todays stage and tomorrows as well do to flooding.

Brain171

Has it been extra wet the last few years or is the flooding an annual deal? I wonder if moving the race to a different month would help with flooding while keeping temps warm enough. Im sure ASO knows weather patterns better than I do, just seems like lots of stages have been shortened over the last two years.

Dirty Harry

Has it been extra wet the last few years or is the flooding an annual deal? I wonder if moving the race to a different month would help with flooding while keeping temps warm enough. Im sure ASO knows weather patterns better than I do, just seems like lots of stages have been shortened over the last two years.
They used to go across the Andes to the Atacama Desert, the driest place on earth. Since Chile and Peru pulled out of the race though they have stayed on the east side of the continent and it seems to be much wetter.

Sent from the RDC Mobile App. Get it for your IOS device today

mrlentle

I believe tradition is that the Dakar starts January 1st hence why it's remained so close to that date. The weather does indeed often have a major impact on the event.

Chase 2

Race_addict

Apparently there's an alternate route to the bivouac, but it's the long way around and the competitors won't be arriving until sometime after 22:00.

Tomorrow's stage may require modification as well.

E. Araiza

Looks like they are cancelling tomorrow's stage 9... I'll wait for official confirmation
15895008_10211362509322840_9104414145580766832_n.jpg

It basically says that they will use tomorrow to regroup the whole Dakar caravan, they will have to take a longer route for next bivouac increasing the stage distance more than 200km...

Dirty Harry

Last year Ernesto and Klaus and I slept in the 4Runner on a washed out road that we were waiting to open back up. That was the longest day of the event for us, it was already going to be a long day since we were coming back from Bolivia into Argentina. Fortunately last year that happened right before the rest day!

E. Araiza

Last year Ernesto and Klaus and I slept in the 4Runner on a washed out road that we were waiting to open back up. That was the longest day of the event for us, it was already going to be a long day since we were coming back from Bolivia into Argentina. Fortunately last year that happened right before the rest day!
good times...