• Forum membership has its advantages....

★ Dakar 2019 - Stage 7: San Juan de Marcona > San Juan de Marcona

havahockey

Flipper
Casey has finished the stage in 8th, sitting 4th overall in the SXS class, 1 Hour and 52 Minutes back. If he had fans like Robby we'd be hearing "He can do this, only three stages left but he'll make up the time!"

Hog Wild

You are like a Marvel superhero...'MAP MAN'
You're giving me way more credit than I deserve.

Do the rules allow for teams to share the road book info with others, as soon as they receive the road books?
There is no rule against the mapmen. There is a rule against having "unauthorized notes" with you on the race course, so you need to have a good photographic memory if you're going to make use of this information for shortcuts or other advantages.

There are two main reasons I'm sharing some of this cool information. First is that it's fun and everyone loves it. Second, and more importantly is that I want the whole mapmen thing to go away. The more I expose it, the more pressure there is on ASO to put an end to it. Even though I have been involved, I don't like the idea of competitors seeing what the course is like before they are on it in the race. For me, a key element of Rally is that you're not supposed to know where you are, where you are going, or what is around the next bend. Mapping spoils that.

havahockey

Flipper
Team Speed through WP4, Potts tracker doesn't say he went through WP4 but none of the trackers registered for that group, so safe to assume they are still together.

El-Todd

Casey has finished the stage in 8th, sitting 4th overall in the SXS class, 1 Hour and 52 Minutes back. If he had fans like Robby we'd be hearing "He can do this, only three stages left but he'll make up the time!"
I’m cheering for him. I’m cheering for all our boys (USA) down there. He might be able to pull off a podium which would be rad

Sent from my iPhone using race-deZert mobile app

nimrod

KOOK!
You're giving me way more credit than I deserve.

There is no rule against the mapmen. There is a rule against having "unauthorized notes" with you on the race course, so you need to have a good photographic memory if you're going to make use of this information for shortcuts or other advantages.

There are two main reasons I'm sharing some of this cool information. First is that it's fun and everyone loves it. Second, and more importantly is that I want the whole mapmen thing to go away. The more I expose it, the more pressure there is on ASO to put an end to it. Even though I have been involved, I don't like the idea of competitors seeing what the course is like before they are on it in the race. For me, a key element of Rally is that you're not supposed to know where you are, where you are going, or what is around the next bend. Mapping spoils that.
There’s been lots of rumors about the top teams having guys who work all night on maps. I’m just a keyboard guy so I have no clue but I’d imagine with all the money the factory car teams spend that there would be some shenanigans going on. I don’t mean guys who go over the road book and then tutor the racer. I mean more like what you’ve been posting.

nimrod

KOOK!
Sometimes Peterhansels abilities seem other worldly but he’s been at this a looong time.

BajaFand

Go Casey Currie! Would love to see a kid from Norco finish on the podium in a world class event like this!

Sent from my iPhone using race-deZert

randy68

#1 Enemy of Google
So how's RG doin? He finish this stage?

Hendricus

Fish, have they broken more than one header/exhaust manifold? If yes, I wonder if it's because it's got a turbo hanging on it?

I wonder if Textron/Speed are not going to share the list of mechanical failures with John Q Public? Thinking that this will be bad for the brand image.

We are lucky to get the Fish scoop that we get.

Hendricus

I know from following pro supercross and motocross, absolutely NOTHING leaks when there's a mechanical failure. The fan gets what they observed from trackside.

djdrew8

If anyone is really interested in the Bikes, check out advrider.com. There is a lady name Egle' /@EvergreenE, that is "chasing" Dakar on her bike. She has access to the bivouacs and is writing some cool stories and posting some really up close pics too. Believe she has 16 reports now from all the way to pre-race ceremonies. Dakar Diary 19 #16: The Edge of the Dakar www.advrider.com

Last edited:

CFreeLV

On Dakar site it states: "The best 10 bikes, 10 cars and 5 trucks will start in the order of the scratch time of Stage 7."

Anybody know if they will be mixing the bikes and cars based on today's times so the top 5 would be 1. Sunderland, 2. Ignacio, 3. Brabec, 4. Peterhansel and 5. Van Beveren. Or is it top 10 bikes then top 10 cars?

havahockey

Flipper
On Dakar site it states: "The best 10 bikes, 10 cars and 5 trucks will start in the order of the scratch time of Stage 7."

Anybody know if they will be mixing the bikes and cars based on today's times so the top 5 would be 1. Sunderland, 2. Ignacio, 3. Brabec, 4. Peterhansel and 5. Van Beveren. Or is it top 10 bikes then top 10 cars?
I'm pretty sure they will all be mixed in with each other.