• Forum membership has its advantages....

★ Dakar 2019 - Stage 7: San Juan de Marcona > San Juan de Marcona

Nessy

Fish, have they broken more than one header/exhaust manifold? If yes, I wonder if it's because it's got a turbo hanging on it?

I wonder if Textron/Speed are not going to share the list of mechanical failures with John Q Public? Thinking that this will be bad for the brand image.

We are lucky to get the Fish scoop that we get.
I saw a pic and it looked like the turbo bolts directly to the manifold. Textron doesn't make a turbo model so I would guess it is all prototype stuff. They spent a couple of years testing the XX before introducing it to the public so hopefully a turbo model is on the way.

fishd00d

What A Joke
Fish, have they broken more than one header/exhaust manifold? If yes, I wonder if it's because it's got a turbo hanging on it?

I wonder if Textron/Speed are not going to share the list of mechanical failures with John Q Public? Thinking that this will be bad for the brand image.

Pretty sure the headers have cracked on all 3 cars at least once.

_

Fish, I noticed in several of the videos and photos of the Textrons posted over the last few days, it appears they were without the Helmet Blower Systems. Do you know anything about this? Is this a temporary thing or have they done away with the blowers for the remainder of the rally?

fishd00d

What A Joke
Fish, I noticed in several of the videos and photos of the Textrons posted over the last few days, it appears they were without the Helmet Blower Systems. Do you know anything about this? Is this a temporary thing or have they done away with the blowers for the remainder of the rally?
I’ll ask! I know one day they had an alternator issue but that was a pulley that came off I believe. But maybe trying to save draw.

H-rider

After watching the videos of cars going through fesh-fesh, I can't imagine not having a "Darker" pumper!

BMW21

Question: Is RG and the rest of the team racing anymore or are they taking it easy to finish? Three + hours down to the leaders seems like a lot of time to concede especially when they have lots of tracks to follow.

fishd00d

What A Joke
Question: Is RG and the rest of the team racing anymore or are they taking it easy to finish? Three + hours down to the leaders seems like a lot of time to concede especially when they have lots of tracks to follow.
I’m sure they are in finish mode at this point. There is nothing left to prove besides they never gave up and finished.

blue dog

How much time did they spend in the dunes last night with only 2 factory headlights ?

michael_loomis

The turbo isn’t hanging on it.. I’m sure it has its own mount besides the intake and exhaust.. but the way it’s built, especially with that brittle stainless flexi tube, does not handle the harmonics let alone mixed with off road. Either the short head pipes or flexi will crack. I’ve seen this hundreds of times on yachts and they have less harmonic movement that these UTV’s I would venture to say.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

michael_loomis

I’m sure they are in finish mode at this point. There is nothing left to prove besides they never gave up and finished.
The thing is though... that is not typical RG. Usually when he knows he’s out, he goes guns blazing to show that he “could” have been a contender.

Definitely a different Mantra on this one. Maybe a little tail between the legs plus wanting to show Textron a finish.

BMW21

That's what I am feeling also. Three hours seems huge in comparison to the 40 minutes or so the first day.

fishd00d

What A Joke
The thing is though... that is not typical RG. Usually when he knows he’s out, he goes guns blazing to show that he “could” have been a contender.

Definitely a different Mantra on this one. Maybe a little tail between the legs plus wanting to show Textron a finish.

Ya I think he realizes that he has nothing for the other cars in the category so he cant prove anything this time. Driving hard will just get a DNF. Simple as that.

EMS702

Rescue 1
It is a nice headline. "Textron finishes 2019 Dakar in Car class"......

CFreeLV

Maybe this has already been discussed but what would aso do if RG decided to take the limiter off? Is it a penalty or disqualification? If it's a penalty I see no downside being as far down as they are in the standings to take it off and see what she's got.

michael_loomis

Maybe this has already been discussed but what would aso do if RG decided to take the limiter off? Is it a penalty or disqualification? If it's a penalty I see no downside being as far down as they are in the standings to take it off and see what she's got.
This is the ASO we are talking about here. DQ probably for the blatant disregard. Possible future ban.

Hog Wild

Maybe this has already been discussed but what would aso do if RG decided to take the limiter off?
There is no physical "limiter" device. There is a speed limit, and they are supposed to adhere to it on their own. As was posted above, if they abuse it too much ASO may throw them out.

nimrod

KOOK!
Our culture in the US is rules are meant to be broken and rules are for the other guys. Most of the cultures in Europe takes rules pretty seriously. I know the French and the Italians are that way. Don’t even think about getting on a train, even just a little local one in Italy without getting your ticket stamped before boarding. It’s like a quadruple felony.