• Forum membership has its advantages....

★ Dakar 2019 - Stage 7: San Juan de Marcona > San Juan de Marcona

BoothPacific Films

Our culture in the US is rules are meant to be broken and rules are for the other guys. Most of the cultures in Europe takes rules pretty seriously. I know the French and the Italians are that way. Don’t even think about getting on a train, even just a little local one in Italy without getting your ticket stamped before boarding. It’s like a quadruple felony.
Those guys started all this "rules" mumbo jumbo. I think part of being American is running from those who want to enforce a bunch of "rules" on you.

michael_loomis

Not to mention they’d probably go insane listening to the GPS alarm going off non stop lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hendricus

A little interview time from Robby would be cool. I'd ask:
(1) So what's been the struggle?
(2) I'm thinking the struggles have more-so been with mechanical failures, and less-so about getting stuck in fesh-fesh and witches-eyes. If this is true, what items are on the top of the list that you want to improve on these cars?
(3) Are you even thinking about improvements and/or "the next race," and/or the next Dakar?
(4) Will we see you racing Textron's in other races in 2019? Or, will you leave that for other's, and maybe the next time we see you in a Textron is Dakar 2020?
(5) How committed is Textron to winning something in 2019?
(6) Why is finishing this Dakar important to you? It's obvious by now that this is important to you. Is it a matter of you, Blade, and Cole, just wanting to not quit and see this through?
(7) Or is it more so about race craft development, and beating the living dogdodo out of these cars? Or both?

A lot of this has already been discussed in round-about ways in the RDC forum, but it would still be fun to discuss it with Roby.

michael_loomis

Speaking of ASO, does anyone else have a sinking feeling that they’re going to mess with Brabec and sabotage his imminent win? Or is it just me.
IMO.. they mess with the bikes a little less than the cars. Still a long couple days to go. Let’s see if he can hold it down.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hendricus

Speaking of ASO, does anyone else have a sinking feeling that they’re going to mess with Brabec and sabotage his imminent win? Or is it just me.
Imminent win I like that!
Stick with the feeling of the imminent win and that sinking feeling won't feel so heavy.

bajaxp

Baja Bobsled Team
Our culture in the US is rules are meant to be broken and rules are for the other guys. Most of the cultures in Europe takes rules pretty seriously. I know the French and the Italians are that way. Don’t even think about getting on a train, even just a little local one in Italy without getting your ticket stamped before boarding. It’s like a quadruple felony.
Mike, that is funny. The Italians might take their trains seriously, but Italians 'do not like rules.' Been there a zillion times and a bunch of friends that live there. In my experience Italians are just like 'well dressed Americans.'

fishd00d

What A Joke
I would be shocked if they didn't lol. The last thing they want is an American winning overall!!

randy s

i'm not sure how they could..it's no secret that he's fast and the organizers would be screwing with honda as well if they tried to jack him ..they don't want that

nimrod

KOOK!
Mike, that is funny. The Italians might take their trains seriously, but Italians 'do not like rules.' Been there a zillion times and a bunch of friends that live there. In my experience Italians are just like 'well dressed Americans.'
I’ve only been for about a month but holy cow they went gonzo on the dude next to us on the train and I know the food production rules are very strict but that’s all I know. We’re going back for a month this summer and I’m looking forward to breaking some rules! ;)

Ps. I’d like to become one of your friends that lives there! I love that country.

Bricoop

When I lived in Italy my buddy forgot to validate his ticket on a regional train. He got a fine. Something like 100 or 200 Euros. I also agree with you on their adherence to rules. If our bus driver was late, stop lights became a suggestion.

havahockey

Flipper
A little interview time from Robby would be cool. I'd ask:
(1) So what's been the struggle?
(2) I'm thinking the struggles have more-so been with mechanical failures, and less-so about getting stuck in fesh-fesh and witches-eyes. If this is true, what items are on the top of the list that you want to improve on these cars?
(3) Are you even thinking about improvements and/or "the next race," and/or the next Dakar?
(4) Will we see you racing Textron's in other races in 2019? Or, will you leave that for other's, and maybe the next time we see you in a Textron is Dakar 2020?
(5) How committed is Textron to winning something in 2019?
(6) Why is finishing this Dakar important to you? It's obvious by now that this is important to you. Is it a matter of you, Blade, and Cole, just wanting to not quit and see this through?
(7) Or is it more so about race craft development, and beating the living dogdodo out of these cars? Or both?

A lot of this has already been discussed in round-about ways in the RDC forum, but it would still be fun to discuss it with Roby.
We've tried to get Robby to answer questions for an RDC article for the past two years lol

Bricoop

Re: mapmen

If I was running a factory team, I’d just take scan the books and email them back to my mapping team, back in the home office, where they can coordinate and work off their computers. Then the next morning have a meeting with your navigators to go over the most advantageous short cuts. I’d actually be surprised to learn if big teams did not do something this.

Formula 1 teams have many people back home every race to analyze what the teams are capturing. Teams bring dozens of photographers and even sound equipment. They know what engine mode a specific competitor is in just by the engine notes (which the human ear can’t detect)

fishd00d

What A Joke

If I was running a factory team, I’d just take scan the books and email them back to my mapping team, back in the home office, where they can coordinate and work off their computers. Then the next morning have a meeting with your navigators to go over the most advantageous short cuts. I’d actually be surprised to learn if big teams did not do something this.

Formula 1 teams have many people back home every race to analyze what the teams are capturing. Teams bring dozens of photographers and even sound equipment. They know what engine mode a specific competitor is in just by the engine notes (which the human ear can’t detect)
They have been doing this since the invention of google earth lol

Hendricus

We've tried to get Robby to answer questions for an RDC article for the past two years lol
Robby is a busy guy and a celebrity. Dakar, SST, Textron, Baja, his son Max, need I say more?

Also, I get that celebrities - aka rockstars - always feel pulled on by their fans. They feel that the fans can never get enough of them. This is a typical feeling of a rockstar to his world of fans. Not all of them, but it's common.

Perhaps - I say perhaps - perhaps Robby does not understand that continual frequent conversations with those interested in what you are doing, builds credibility. Tell us about the journey of developing the Textron/Speed race cars. This approach will result in better cars, and it will inturn increase the interest (and sales) of the cars. That's my theory and I'm stick'n to it!

Two years and you can't grab a conversation with Robby? There must be more to this story.

Hendricus

If you are in South America and Hog is in Venice Beach, you take pictures of each page of the road book and you send him the photos with your phone. Hog and his team of two dozen cartographers stay up all night and create quick view summaries, and sends them back to the phones of the teams. I'm thinking that's about it. To check additional info while in the race is illegal, but there is also no time for a navigator to look at much else than his road book. That's what I'm thinking....