★ Dakar 2019 - Stage 8: San Juan de Marcona > Pisco

Hendricus

A few days ago, someone over at ADVRider, said rb's motor had some visible smoke out of the exhaust.
Interesting. Then he would have - or should have - received a complete top end that night. But I don't know the rules for the bike engines. There's a limit. I know you can't swap out a complete engine. Is it the engine case? I wonder if you can split the case and change out crank, bearings and gears, but you have to reuse the original case? What about the piston, cylinder and head?

In Ricky's situation now, it would start with a tow in, or bring parts to him.

But Honda/Brabec don't need to go from first to last and still finish. On the other hand, there's value to this objective for the SpeedCat's. A near last place, full 10 stage Dakar finish is the only Dakar the SpeedCat's can hope for, from about day three.

michael_loomis

Dammit Pat! You mushed him!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BajaFand

Thanks for the ride Ricky and Johnny! It was a blast while it lasted. Huge accomplishment to be the first American to lead overall this far into the rally. You have to be proud of that, although I’m sure no one down there is happy about now. Thanks for the amazing run guys!

For now, Let’s go Shorty!! Anyone remember a few years ago when Short didn’t have a ride in Supercross so he went and bought a stock bike off the showroom floor and came out and smoked everyone in the heats and went on to podium in the main? He had a sponsored ride within the next 2 races. I’ve been a fan of his since then. He’ll be great to watch next year hopefully contending for some stage wins.

Go Casey Currie! Norco represent! Horsetown USA!

Go team Speed!

Sent from my iPhone using race-deZert

michael_loomis

Damn.. very tough day. Just read RG’s SST semi had a bad wreck heading to Mexico City for the Race Of Champions.

fishd00d

What A Joke
Just saw an interview with Ricky. He said the bike was perfect and it just blew up. Within a 100meters it was over. No sign of anything just done. He said he hopes Toby can take the win.

nimrod

KOOK!
I just traded some text with Johnny he’s glad and focused on the fact that Ricky had a safe race. I told him we all send our support and he sounds OK but to say that Johnny is very driven and highly competitive would be in it self an understatement. Dezert endurance racing can be such a rollercoaster ride.
So very bummed for Ricky and Johnny.

partybarge_pilot

Didn't Honda have a rider that retired all ready? Couldn't they have just accidentally swapped number plates while servicing then to get a fresher motor?

It's not like they've never swapped bikes before.

nimrod

KOOK!
Hummm. I wonder what the plan is for the new Honda Talon SxS?
I really hope they give J.C. a shot at it.

nimrod

KOOK!
Didn't Honda have a rider that retired all ready? Couldn't they have just accidentally swapped number plates while servicing then to get a fresher motor?

It's not like they've never swapped bikes before.
Their #1 rider retired from the race but I think the rules are very tight and their is a lot of oversight. I ask Johnny what they’re allowed to change but I haven’t heard back from reading the rules it sounds like you can’t touch the engine at all but I’m a Nimrod

ace_photo

GET SOME
Their #1 rider retired from the race but I think the rules are very tight and their is a lot of oversight. I ask Johnny what they’re allowed to change but I haven’t heard back from reading the rules it sounds like you can’t touch the engine at all but I’m a Nimrod
If I recall correctly its a pretty good time penalty for an engine swap in the bikes. When I went in 2015 all the top guys swapped their engines out on the break.

michael_loomis

Hummm. I wonder what the plan is for the new Honda Talon SxS?
I really hope they give J.C. a shot at it.
Me too! Dude can wheel!