• Forum membership has its advantages....

★ Dakar 2019 - Stage 8: San Juan de Marcona > Pisco

michael_loomis

You can say that but as we just found out with RB, it ain't over till it's over..
You don’t see anyone sabotaging Nassers suspension settings.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hendricus

Their #1 rider retired from the race but I think the rules are very tight and their is a lot of oversight. I ask Johnny what they’re allowed to change but I haven’t heard back from reading the rules it sounds like you can’t touch the engine at all but I’m a Nimrod
Thanks for asking The Man. We have great connections in this forum.

Hendricus

Hummm. I wonder what the plan is for the new Honda Talon SxS?
I really hope they give J.C. a shot at it.
As much as I respect your idea, I'm not voting for this. To me it's more of the infantile dreamer stuff. If Honda and JC want to race a Talon in the Dakar, they need to start by racing year round in the US races. It takes years of dead set commitment to get beyond what the SpeedCat's are going through.

My vote is that Johnny and team stay committed to the bikes, continue to race year round, and get back here next year. Only the highly refined teams have a shot at winning.

fishd00d

What A Joke
A Honda talon in Dakar would be more of a dumpster fire than RG and the Textrons!!! At least not for 4-5 years lol

nimrod

KOOK!
As much as I respect your idea, I'm not voting for this. To me it's more of the infantile dreamer stuff. If Honda and JC want to race a Talon in the Dakar, they need to start by racing year round in the US races. It takes years of dead set commitment to get beyond what the SpeedCat's are going through.

My vote is that Johnny and team stay committed to the bikes, continue to race year round, and get back here next year. Only the highly refined teams have a shot at winning.
Cause HRC is not highly refined or a major factory effort?
You better strap your helmet on tight because Honda races, it’s what they do. From Formua 1, Indy car, IMSA, to Dakar and everything inbetween. Don’t be askeered.

Offspring

ARTICLE T1 GROUP 1 – A.S.O. ELITE
1) Engine
The standard engine cases will be marked at Scrutineering. All loss of markings will result in penalties up to Disqualification.
The preparation of the engine is free, with the exception of the main engine cases which must be strictly standard.
Repairs to the engine’s ’top-end’ are free during the Event. All interventions to the ‘bottom-end’ (insidethe main engine cases) will be considered as a change of engine.
Once removed and replaced by engine B, the refitting of engine A into the Machine will be considered as a change of engine, in the same way as replacement by engine C.
The change of engine will incur a penalty:
  • the first change :
  • the second change :
  • all following changes :
15 minutes,
45 minutes
2 hours for each change.
The change of engine between Riders is allowed during Marathon Stages. The penalties will be applied to both Riders.

This is all well and good but 50'ish km into a stage it might as well be a 50 hour penalty

Hendricus

A Honda talon in Dakar would be more of a dumpster fire than RG and the Textrons!!! At least not for 4-5 years lol
Your analogy makes me laugh. Could not have said it better my self. And 4-5 years is not an exaggeration. Think what 1-2 year gets you. If Honda themselves sunk HUGE money into it, then MAYBE they could do something similar to what Peugeot did. Recall that Peugeot completely redesigned their car after the first year. Do they still call it the 2008?

Hendricus

Cause HRC is not highly refined or a major factory effort?
You better strap your helmet on tight because Honda races, it’s what they do. From Formua 1, Indy car, IMSA, to Dakar and everything inbetween. Don’t be askeered.
You make a good point. If Honda threw a full factory effort at it, it would be one heck of a story to follow. That's for sure!

Are we getting a "full factory effort" from Robby and the SpeedCat's? This feels quite a bit less than. I know talk of the SpeedCat's can be found from early 2018. What US races did they debut in?

michael_loomis

I disagree if the actual factory gets involved.

Vehicle manufacturers take it way more seriously than some guy who’s big in off road.

fishd00d

What A Joke
I disagree if the actual factory gets involved.

Vehicle manufacturers take it way more seriously than some guy who’s big in off road.

That’s a big IF. And even still for them to be competitive they are going to have to put a couple years min into development and trial races. You aren’t just going to show up to the Dakar as your first race and think you’re going to win even if Honda factory is behind it. Hell they can’t even keep a dirt bike engine together for their top riders! (Cheap shot but it seems to be true). Such a bummer.

Hendricus

That’s a big IF. And even still for them to be competitive they are going to have to put a couple years min into development and trial races. You aren’t just going to show up to the Dakar as your first race and think you’re going to win even if Honda factory is behind it. Hell they can’t even keep a dirt bike engine together for their top riders! (Cheap shot but it seems to be true). Such a bummer.
Such a cheap shot! No wonder Robby won't talk to you! :)