★ Dakar 2019 - Stage 9: Pisco > Pisco

GBRACER

RDC Crypto
Loeb starting to show some comfort driving the "long" rally style race getting better by the day and a privater as well, running with the big dogs.

bajaxp

Baja Bobsled Team
RDC Crypto
From the RDC front page race report, 1/14/19. The Dakar demands it all, but there's always room for romance.

"Ø Reportedly, Laia Sanz (#17) and teammate Price had waged a bet at the 2019 Dakar Rally. If Toby finishes in the top five, he will receive a five-second kiss from Laia. While Laia can cut Toby’s “ungainly” mullet if she ends in the top 15."

Looks like a 'cut and a kiss.' Toby is sitting in 1st OA and Laia in 11th.

DG_BTI

RDC Crypto
WOW, some serious drama in the bikes. Those penalties are for major cheating by a couple top riders. They are throwing out some serious smack on Instagram! these guys are under major pressure to win. One quote I saw, "Toby Price is the son of a thousand whores!!!" Not sure what is going on but definitely poop is going down.

Hendricus

RDC Crypto
Fish, were able to get any more scoop regarding details of the mechanical issues with the SpeedCat's? Our sense of things is that it's a fairly long list, spanning all three cars. We're a nosey bunch. We gots ta know!

Have you been asked to zip it, either by team Textron/Speed, and/or by Klaus, as he continues to write is novel?

Hendricus

RDC Crypto
The XX have eaten up diffs, axles, clutches, driveshafts every single day. They are carrying spares of them all and just keep changing which ever car breaks.
Thanks Fish. You beat me to it. While I was typing my previous post, you were posting.

Hendricus

RDC Crypto
WOW, some serious drama in the bikes. Those penalties are for major cheating by a couple top riders. They are throwing out some serious smack on Instagram! these guys are under major pressure to win. One quote I saw, "Toby Price is the son of a thousand whores!!!" Not sure what is going on but definitely **** is going down.
Sounds like RDC forum chat.

Hendricus

RDC Crypto
The XX have eaten up diffs, axles, clutches, driveshafts every single day. They are carrying spares of them all and just keep changing which ever car breaks.
What's NOT in your list is the Yamaha engine with added turbo. Looks like this engine is strong enough to accept the turbo punch. I hope this is true. We've heard about manifold cracking. Manifolds can by improved by the next race. So can all the diff housing issues, if they cut the new beefed up versions from billet, and save the casting development for later.

Bricoop

RDC Crypto
What's NOT in your list is the Yamaha engine with added turbo. Looks like this engine is strong enough to accept the turbo punch. I hope this is true. We've heard about manifold cracking. Manifolds can by improved by the next race. So can all the diff housing issues, if they cut the new beefed up versions from billet, and save the casting development for later.
Arctic Cat sells this same engine with a turbo on its sleds. I think the Yamaha turbos are the same engine.

michael_loomis

RDC Crypto
Can we stop building RG’s cars for him in the threads? I know I’m guilty.. but let’s talk about other things like how friggin gnarly these dunes have been.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hendricus

RDC Crypto
IF the three Yamaha engines are in fact running without problems, WITH turbos, this is a success report for the SpeedCat program. Developing high performance cars is not cheap. To have this item checked off the list is worth a million bucks right there.

Hendricus

RDC Crypto
Can we stop building RG’s cars for him in the threads? I know I’m guilty.. but let’s talk about other things like how friggin gnarly these dunes have been.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Haha okay I'll stop. But it's these gnarly dunes that get us the cars and bikes we love!

Short Bus

RDC Crypto
Vanagas is now in at 5th, then Prokop and then Yazeed.

Vanagas is doing very well this race. He has definitely improved in the last couple of years. It seems he is a real privateer too - no big sponsors or big professional team supporting him.

The same things can be said for Prokop. Maybe those 2 should form their own team.

450grl

RDC Crypto
Website
www.wellerracing.com
IF the three Yamaha engines are in fact running without problems, WITH turbos, this is a success report for the SpeedCat program. Developing high performance cars is not cheap. To have this item checked off the list is worth a million bucks right there.

The Textron uses the Yamaha YXZ engine with a slightly different head on it. We have been running low boost Turbo's on those YXZ motors with no issues for years - 6PSI with stock internals pretty much doubles the HP to the rear wheels, and does it reliably. Any more boost than that on any YXZ pre-2019, and we suggest stronger internals as well, but we are also very conservative when it comes to that stuff. The 2019 YXZ has stronger rods, it seems that Yamaha is making that motor a bit more accepting of turbo kits without having to break the seal. GYTR now has a turbo kit for it, and I believe they have been selling that motor in the Viper snowmobiles already turbo'd from the factory as well for quite some time.

Can Am seems to be dominating just about everything they are racing in these days.....not surprising to see them doing so well in the Dakar. The wheelbase is a nice advantage - even in the two-seater, when it comes to screaming across the desert and the dunes. And yes, factory support is great to have - so is excellent prep and planning.