• Forum membership has its advantages....

★ Dakar 2019 - Stage3: San Juan de Marcona > Arequipa

Klaus

Administrator
Screen Shot 2019-01-08 at 17.39.02.png

Category: Bikes - Quads - Cars - SxS - Trucks
Liaison: 798 km / 495 miles
Stage: 331 km / 206 miles

Schedule: *All times local time GMT-5 (3 hours ahead of PST)
January 9th, 2019
Bikes: 05:45
Quads: 05:45
Cars: 07:44
SxS: 07:44
Trucks: 07:44

Quantity of participants:
Start of Rally: 137 - 26 - 100 - 30 - 41 - (336)
Start of Stage 2: 135 - 25 - 97 - 30 - 38 - (325)
Start of Stage 3: 133 - 24 - 94 - 30 - 30 - (311)

Timing and tracking:
Dakar.com
TrackingDakar.com

Last edited:

michael_loomis

No.. they will not remove the limiter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

michael_loomis

I believe its to make it "fair" again, since they are allowed big travel and big tires with 4WD
Probably a little of that and safety. Everyone has I speed limit iirc but I know they cars are much higher. Seems more dangerous having an 80mph being passed by a 120mph vehicle.

michael_loomis

Did we hear any more on Potts axle issue?

Could go two ways... he’s the slowest one of the three.. but also possibly harder on his equipment.

michael_loomis

I didn’t know that’s what it was. I’ve heard of a few people having CV issues on their XXs already though.

Sent from my iPhone using race-deZert mobile app
These are custom plunging axles I believe? From just looking at it, it seems they don’t have a lot of down travel, almost as if they strapped it up to make them more durable.

mrlentle

Probably a little of that and safety. Everyone has I speed limit iirc but I know they cars are much higher. Seems more dangerous having an 80mph being passed by a 120mph vehicle.

Safety was certainly the initial concern. Much like the Garbage trucks. After they killed few competitors, it was reined in from the crazy HP that they used to be. Remember the push me pull you twin engine jobby:

Attachments

michael_loomis

Safety was certainly the initial concern. Much like the Garbage trucks. After they killed few competitors, it was reined in from the crazy HP that they used to be. Remember the push me pull you twin engine jobby:
Oh yes.. I remember..

Total Loss

Oh yes.. I remember..

Oh you sucker...you beat me to it.
One of my favorites Dakar moments.
I think he wadded it up soon after that vid.

Back in 1988 Dakar veteran Jan de Rooy constructed a monster.

Back in the days these trucks were unlimited and he made the most of it. The statistics are mindboggling. The Daf X1 (and X2) was powered by two 11,2 liter engines, each equiped with a triple turbo!! The engines produced 1200 Hp.... each! Combined the torque figure is an earth shattering 7000 lb-ft!

This power could propell this monster to 150 miles an hour. And to prove I don't lie, here's some footage of this truck in the desert. What you see is a modified Peugeot 405 driven by rallye legend Ari Vatanen.... being overtaken by 11 tons of truck!!

arqangel67

That's all back when Dakar was a much better race for sure.

mrlentle

Oh you sucker...you beat me to it.
One of my favorites Dakar moments.
I think he wadded it up soon after that vid.

Back in 1988 Dakar veteran Jan de Rooy constructed a monster.

Back in the days these trucks were unlimited and he made the most of it. The statistics are mindboggling. The Daf X1 (and X2) was powered by two 11,2 liter engines, each equiped with a triple turbo!! The engines produced 1200 Hp.... each! Combined the torque figure is an earth shattering 7000 lb-ft!

This power could propell this monster to 150 miles an hour. And to prove I don't lie, here's some footage of this truck in the desert. What you see is a modified Peugeot 405 driven by rallye legend Ari Vatanen.... being overtaken by 11 tons of truck!!
And you talk about getting passed in a UTV doing 80MPH. I bet Ari damn near shat himself when de Rooy came through!

michael_loomis

And you talk about getting passed in a UTV doing 80MPH. I bet Ari damn near shat himself when de Rooy came through!
I’m sure it feels about the same. Lol.

Having been in a limited car when a TT comes raging by... its sketch.

The difference is, RG scenario is happening pretty easily. I doubt this truck of De Rooy caught Ari somewhere not so flat.