• Forum membership has its advantages....

★ Dakar 2020 - Stage 10: Haradh > Shubaytah

Fourstroker

Garrett Poucher (US biker) had a BAD crash today...he is out of the race and in a Saudi hospital. Broken back, pelvis and more.
Wondered what happened to him. Didnt see him in the results. Wonder if this will affect Skyler Howes support crew since they are teammates

spalind

Wondered what happened to him. Didnt see him in the results. Wonder if this will affect Skyler Howes support crew since they are teammates
Evidently he is "OK", he was messaging from his hospital bed but is trying to get back to the US as I guess all the breaks are unstable and need surgery

MX304

Oh my gosh that is bad!!!! They really need to make sure they have cautions so things like this don't happen. It would not be surprising if these two didn't have broken back from that.
At least one of them does. There are pics floating around of one or both of them getting helicoptered out.

GEO_DXB

Oh my gosh that is bad!!!! They really need to make sure they have cautions so things like this don't happen. It would not be surprising if these two didn't have broken back from that.
there's a crowd standing and staring at smth... just be careful then. the jump was 5km from start and marked in roadbook (without triple caution though).

Bert Heskes, the co-driver of the yellow Toyota will be having a surgery on his spine tomorrow morning. Driver seems to be OK.
They werent the only ones. Serradori in CR6 rolled as well, but landed on his wheels and kept going.

Hendricus

Just watched the bikes stage 10 summary. Looks like they are crossing vast expanses with long straight sections. Dunes have different shapes and characteristics, and are deceptive and tricky. But overall, the race looks like it's high speed, not overly technical as far as what bikes are capable of, not enduro-ish, not hare and hound-ish.

Maybe there are some crappy rocky climbs and descents. Maybe the video producers think that folks want to see the flat-out areas. For as cool as this race is, the video content is minimal. Yes, it's more professionally done than BITD and Score races, but for the 4-5 hr specials all they produce is a 3 minute summary. They could show a lot more of the course, and I'd find it interesting. Well, that's if it is more interesting than riding high speed for the entire special. We already know that the transitions are boring, and only serve to produce mechanical and mental fatigue.

Hendricus

Although it does not come out the day after race day, I think we get better helo shots of the 1000, then they are getting of the Dakar. The video helo in the Dakar looks like he's moving pretty fast the entire day. These are production goal decisions. I still enjoy the race. No point in complaining too much.