★ Dakar 2021 - Stage 9: Neom > Neom

MiguelB

Super Moderator
Reaction
From a Pr that just came in:
"Gearbox trouble on Stage Nine has ended rookie Seth Quintero’s hopes for a podium finish in the Lightweight Vehicles race. The Dakar’s youngest ever stage winner was on to set another fastest time before his OT3 came to a standstill, eventually getting towed to the finish line by the team's assistance truck."

Tipracer

Reaction
Bummer...if he gets towed in can he still continue tomorrow? He was up by 4 hrs or so... at the rate he’s traveling he might be able to hold on to third

ekozy39

Reaction
Bummer...if he gets towed in can he still continue tomorrow? He was up by 4 hrs or so... at the rate he’s traveling he might be able to hold on to third
No, I think that's it. You can fix within a certain time, and continue, but towed back and pretty sure you end up in the experience class like one of the 4WP Polaris' did on Stage 2 or 3.

MiguelB

Super Moderator
Reaction

2021-RBDW-DakarS9-6.jpg2021-RBDW-DakarS9-5.jpg2021-RBDW-DakarS9-3.jpg2021-RBDW-DakarS9-4.jpg2021-RBDW-DakarS9-2.jpg2021-RBDW-DakarS9-1.jpg

Tipracer

Reaction
Not sure if I got this right but o found this o. The Dakar website:
GENERAL
2021 Dakar Regulations comply with article 27 of the 2020 FIA Cross-Country
Rallies Sporting Regulations, except for art. 27.2.4. It is supplemented by the
following articles.
2) Throughout the Itinerary (Selective Sections and Road Sections), all Vehicles are required to drive with their lights on.
3) Towing and/or pushing by a Vehicle in Race is permitted, as well as by a Vehicle / Service Crew, when Race and Service are on the same Itinerary, including in the Control Zones.

No penalty will be applied.

JDDurfey

Reaction
If being towed takes the competitor out of the rally, it is a new rule. I have seen plenty of videos over the years of cars and motorcycles being towed by the "fast support" vehicles through a stage. The first time Dakar went into Bolivia it was a marathon stage for bikes only. I believe it was Laia Sainz that towed one of the other Honda guys all day on the second half of the marathon because they couldn't fix his bike. A lot of time was lost, but I don't believe there was a DQ because of it.

Tipracer

Reaction
As if his day couldn’t get any worse looks like they have had to backtrack... isn’t there a time limit for each stage?
And it’s approaching 1:00am....good grief
How long does it take to change a transmission?

450grl

Reaction
There IS a time limit....they have to complete the stage within a certain time frame or they go to the Experience Class to be allowed one more shot at just finishing the event - without being scored. This happened to Kristin Matlock in Stage 2, but she's still just finishing if she can.

ekozy39

Reaction
If being towed takes the competitor out of the rally, it is a new rule. I have seen plenty of videos over the years of cars and motorcycles being towed by the "fast support" vehicles through a stage. The first time Dakar went into Bolivia it was a marathon stage for bikes only. I believe it was Laia Sainz that towed one of the other Honda guys all day on the second half of the marathon because they couldn't fix his bike. A lot of time was lost, but I don't believe there was a DQ because of it.

No, I think that's it. You can fix within a certain time, and continue, but towed back and pretty sure you end up in the experience class like one of the 4WP Polaris' did on Stage 2 or 3.
My bad. Got that wrong. Thought there was a rule change along with the dumb no tire change rule for moto.

ISRengine

Reaction
We have talked about tires, Nasser with 15 flats in 9 stage, Loeb have stop is dakar since he had 6 flats in 2 days he did a lot of flat tires, I think Glyn Hall (Hall speed) Gazoo have talked about 45 tires in his team

Bf seems they didn't update their tire from South America, 4wd car look like they have more poncture