Dakar 25 years

JrSyko

Jerry Maguire
Reaction
Did any of you guys see the special on Speedvision on the 25 years of Dakar. Pretty cool. It showed the history of the Dakar and all different race cars that have raced Dakar in the last 25 years. I love those Porsches, those things were sick. I noticed that is seemed like eveytime a class got too fast and dominated the race they would out law the class. Especially the rally car type classes in the early 90's, for example the 302's and Citroens.

See ya in the dirt!

Kritter

Krittro Campbell
Reaction
It was a great hilight of the years of racing. How many Protrucks were entered in this years Dakar?

Kris
<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.barneysprecision.com/fabproducts.htm> Fab Parts</A>

JrSyko

Jerry Maguire
Reaction
I think it was just the 1?

See ya in the dirt!

JeffS

Reaction
There were two ProTrucks.

#254 Ford Protruck - Tinseau / Vallet from France
Placed 12th in Cars !!

#232 Chevy Protruck - Vigouroux / Winocq
Placed 14th in Cars !!

Pretty awesome standings considering the HUGE factory teams they were up against, and all 4wd's. Mostly nissans, VW tareks, and of course those gnarly Pajero Mitsubishis.

Some other trucks to note, but that I never saw footage of, were a couple more chevys...
#290 Chevy Blazer ... out at stage 8 ?
#296 Macpherson Chevy : Jakab / Fenesi from (HON)? standings unknown. hmmmm... macpherson ?

Protrucks Rock !!

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.RedRockOffroad.com>http://www.RedRockOffroad.com</A> - There is a fine line between Hobby and Mental Illness.

Jim_Dizney

Reaction
Just to clarify, those two VW's that finished 6th and 8th overall were NOT four wheel drive factory efforts either. Henrard and Kleinschmidt were in VW bodied, two wheel drive, JIMCO two seaters that were custom designed and hastily built in the first part of last year before being sent to Europe for final completion and testing. After their excellent showing expect to see more Jimco vehicles in upcoming Dakar events, maybe even driven by some prominent US off-road racers if European sponsorship comes through as expected.

TimHayosh

Reaction
Jim, that would be fantastic! It would be great to see some Americans in the Dakar. Mark Millers effort in a rental (just my style!) was spectacular. The JIMCO/VW Tareks were looking good this year. BMW proved that diesel works. The Mitsubishi strangle-hold may be coming to an end!

There's no doubt that an American driver, in the right car, with the right support, could win the Dakar.

Happy motoring, Tim

Jim_Dizney

Reaction
Tim, I'd like to see more American participation too but it's doubtful without the financial support of European backers. An American sponsor can't justify the expense of assembling and fielding a competitive team without some return for their investment and this is unlikely with the Dakar exposure targeted primarily at the European community.

There's no doubt we've got the equipment and drivers capable of winning the event overall with the right financial backing. Recent partnerships between French race teams and American vendors may be the very catalyst necessary to draw more participation from the US. Following the progress of guys like Skilton, LeDuc, and Miller was exciting but they weren't participating in vehicles capable of an overall. We may see a prominent SCORE buggy racer battling for that overall Dakar win within the next year or two if that complete package finally comes together.

I'd heard a rumor that Mark Miller was receiving driving offers from European teams after that impressive finish in 2002. Any truth to the rumor Mark?

obr184

Reaction
who was this class 1 racer??

e_lunatic

Reaction
wouldn't it be cool to see an "american dream team" race the Dakar in protrucks? Ivan Stewart, Larry Ragland, Mark Miller, Curt LeDuc, Robby Gordon, and the Herbst's pounding across Africa in full on Stars and Strips paint!!!!!!! You'd think corperate sponcers would line up around the block to help arange this deal. heck i'd donate $20 a paycheck to help out (im poor ok). maybe this is just a pipedream, but it sure is fun to think about...

Marshall

Reaction
I saw Robby Gordon on "wind tunnel" And he made a comment about wanting to do the race in the future. Cant forget the Moto boys holding it down for the US. I've heard the rumors of KTM having a strong US team in the future event.

DarrenSkilton

Reaction
FYI - The latest info for the 2005 Dakar is now on www.dakar.com. I will post more info on US teams as it becomes available. Anyone needing more info on how to enter please email me.