Dakar: Should there be a 2 car per team limit?

standfast

RDC Crypto
To me it takes a lot of excitement out of it when you can show up with 11 cars. Its like taking a bomb to a gun fight. Surely one of them will make it through with few problems. It's too predictable.

Chris Tobin

RDC Crypto
Re: Should there be a 2 car per team limit?

They would just change the name on the ownership and still show up with however many team cars they want...

Roice

RDC Crypto
Website
www.tcbperformance.com

^^^^ Exactly!!

pwerwagn

RDC Crypto

I agree it makes it boring. I've already stopped caring about the overall and where the minis are and just pretend they don't exist.

But...in the off chance there is an upset from a 1 car team, it makes the race that much more awesome!!

RGFan

RDC Crypto

I agree it makes it boring. I've already stopped caring about the overall and where the minis are and just pretend they don't exist.

But...in the off chance there is an upset from a 1 car team, it makes the race that much more awesome!!

Agreed!

SteveRacer

RDC Crypto

I have no problem with Mini showing up with 48 cars. If you beat them it makes it more impressive. It sounds like they build new cars every year for their top 4 drivers and the rest get rented or sold. Guys renting the cars get to race with an elite team they would not otherwise be able to do. I dont think Minis huge team would be such a big deal if there were a few other mega teams to compete with. If VW was still around beating Mini with their 4 touregs, I dont think we would be complaining about it now.

biffgnar

RDC Crypto

If you are prepared to spend the $$$s (or Euros or your other currency of choice) you should be able to bring however many cars you want. Others need to find competing $$s. Its called the free market.

vegasloki

RDC Crypto

They do well because they are good, not because they field several entries.

Offspring

RDC Crypto

If you are prepared to spend the $$$s (or Euros or your other currency of choice) you should be able to bring however many cars you want. Others need to find competing $$s. Its called the free market.

And besides, the first one is the most expensive one.

randy s

RDC Crypto

if people have entry money and membership money, then anyone should and do enter as many as they want..there's enough rules in this outfit as it is and boredom depends on who you're for..in this case in order to avoid boredom is not to suck and right now most on here are bored in that sense.

randy s

RDC Crypto

i think in order to make it more interesting for folks disappointed with the home teams struggles, it might be good to scan the competitors list on the dakar site and go through and just pick someone..if you're a buggy dork or have a brand favorite or the drivers look like they might have interesting backgrounds, then tag along with them instead of just hatin' on teams you don't much like..for me as a ford man, i'm hoping those guys do well...if this sounds lame then go back to being bored and baggin' on the minis..baggin' on em' seems to really work well so far and being miserable is just so much more fun...of course if rg and poor old bj can break out of the funk and get stage wins and maybe position themselves to have a say so in who wins this thing, that would be the sweetest thing..

rubberdust

RDC Crypto

I'll keep following Sainz a bit out of it but expect a few more top finishes before it's & seems to be someone who could get to Roma's head

vegasloki

RDC Crypto

of course if rg and poor old bj can break out of the funk and get stage wins and maybe position themselves to have a say so in who wins this thing, that would be the sweetest thing..

#justabobson has zero chance of a stage win. No shame in that for a first effort. It will be an accomplishment if he finishes. Big learning curve and they haven't made a mistake to put them out at this point.

With Gordon's major cooling system overhaul at this point I don't think a stage win is likely but he's closer than Baldwin.

standfast

RDC Crypto
I think manufacturer involvement would increase if there was a 2 car limit. To compete with a 11 car team and probably even more next year would be a deterrent. It would take 5+ years for them to get there and lots of $$$. If VW were still in there dominating with a 5 car team I think I would still feel the same. There would be 11 minis right there with them in the mix. Now if the minis were sold to private teams that did their own race support that would be different. Especially if they had their own sponsors and motivation. I think these super teams are the harmful to the spirit of this race and inhibit potential growth and entertainment value. Not to mention the fact that a privateer has no chance of winning if teams like this continue to grow. I will continue to watch either way but it would make it a lot more exciting. With only 2 entries, no matter how good your car is, your chance of throwing it all away go way up.

EMS702

Rescue 1
RDC Crypto
I am not bored with a winning effort. I am exhausted with getting my hopes up with Robbie and BJ. The minis bring a quality product other than tyres, not quite as cool to see running in the desert like the modified vehicles. The minis have good support great drivers and navigators. They have made navigation mistakes, however not many teams could capitalize. Had Robby and BJ not had the problems in the start we would see a whole different race. My biggest problem is ASO and how some of the rules or penalties favor the "HOME" team. Realistically not many on home turf here. I wish I had more time to watch some of the Live feeds.

mexgamer

RDC Crypto
Mathematically the MINI team has way more chances of winning than any other team. Math doesn't lie. Also, Peterhansel had 6 flats in one stage, imagine if they didn't have that many cars, who would have given him 3 spare tires?

I disagree with the logic behind "if you have the money, why not?". The REAL point of auto racing is to show everybody else who is the best driver, NOT who has the deepest pockets! If it's about money then Sven Quandt should go compete against Bill Gates and Carlos Slim to see who can make the most money in a certain period of time. This is also why I think "team orders" should be illegal in all motorsports.

But it makes me think, why is X-Raid investing so much money? What is in it for them? Are they really getting BMW/MINI thousands of new customers thanks to the Dakar?