• Forum membership has its advantages....

Dana 44 front axle

partybarge_pilot

Believe it or not, a major source of the ears getting broken is the U-joint caps spinning. When they spin they spit out the clips. From there it's only a matter of time to you have total failure. Tack weld the cups to the yoke.

Crusty Shellback

Nope, did about 5 donuts and heard the banging. Stopped and put it in 2wd and unlocked the hubs. On the way out of the beach, dropped it in 4wd and heard the noise so went back to 2wd to drive the 2 miles back to the beach house. Then saw the carnage.

Crusty Shellback

Pulled the U joint out of the inner axle today. Full clips were still there. But the ears are bent in some which made it a bit hard to get the clips out.
20180708_122243.jpeg
20180708_122253.jpeg

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

PaulW

The Trutrac was specifically designed for front solid axles. Yes its a limited slip which is good or at least OK for a front. An advantage of the limited slip is it is friendly to stock axles.
ARB sure is a winner, but is not friendly to stock axles, especially on a heavy rig like a Blazer. Going with an ARB alloy forged axles are probably a must. On my latest rig - D44, Superior triple heat treat forged axles with the ARB. Superior is gone and now the go source is Revolution. Having said that spend more dollars and RCV axles are made of 300M and are even stronger than any others.
BTW, my stock axles looked like yours, then I upgraded to alloy axles. No more issues.

jon coleman

The Trutrac was specifically designed for front solid axles. Yes its a limited slip which is good or at least OK for a front. An advantage of the limited slip is it is friendly to stock axles.
ARB sure is a winner, but is not friendly to stock axles, especially on a heavy rig like a Blazer. Going with an ARB alloy forged axles are probably a must. On my latest rig - D44, Superior triple heat treat forged axles with the ARB. Superior is gone and now the go source is Revolution. Having said that spend more dollars and RCV axles are made of 300M and are even stronger than any others.
BTW, my stock axles looked like yours, then I upgraded to alloy axles. No more issues.
my recolection clutch type ls diff are tuneable, stiffer or weaker cup spring, or double up either or drive/ driven plate and u can get it close.i did these tricks in i.t. road racing diffs.and use shaefer oil.