Dan's truck and "the piece" in off-road!

matt_helton

Racer
Reaction
Re: Dan\'s truck and \"the piece\" in off-road!

no no no, i think you meant to say....... INFAMOUS.

yotatech

Reaction

Saw that while looking through the new off road today. Nice pic. But i cant believe there was no prerunner in this issue, the whole thing is basically about H2's
, I would have been happy to take my truck out for a photo shoot.

schafer

Reaction

What i Find funny is that every add is see it in it doesnt have the stickers on the doors that were infact there in every other video and everyihing else LOL....

SDranger

Reaction

Ya besides Fish and Dan, the new off-road blows!!!!

Kbach66

Reaction

That's true....Off Road's definitely taken a turn for the worse.

They do have some nice prerunner shoots in there though. It kinda makes me laugh because way back in like the Oct or Nov 98 issue, my "prerunner" s-10 was in there. Nothing like some fabtech arms, coils and bumpers that I made to be considered a "prerunner". I guess knowing the editor Craig Perrone (sp) at the time didn't hurt!
It's kind of funny though to see all the high dollar exotic prerunners in there now, and think that my crapper was in there, plus the story Craig came up with was the funniest part!!

orvacian

Reaction

Theres probably no money in showing expensive prerunners cause its mostly custom fab that the majority of their readers don't know much about. Now showing people skying out H2's with 6" lift blocks and 12" lift kits, the magazines would fly off the shelves! LOL

ALEX

Reaction

I didn't know total chaos was stretching to 50's.

Bonzen

Reaction

Corey, look at the obvious photoshop hack job on the door....the black airbrush over the Baja sticker doesnt even match the paint on tortuga! Either way thats pretty cool and good advertizing for TC cuz those trucks work!

-Ryan

JoelMollis

Reaction

If you would be so happy to bring your truck out for a shoot, then why didn't you let me know? Send an e-mail or a photo. Certainly, you can't expect me to know every trick truck in SoCal. Maybe you should try and deal with the deadlines and broken feature trucks sometime; you'll have a whole new attitude on how hard it is to get a prerunner/TT truck out to Barstow and shot and written.

Joel Mollis

JoelMollis

Reaction

Also, what truck was "airbrushed?" Maybe you're thinking about another magazine. We don't remove any stickers from trucks, except for window banners for the cover. Maybe 4WOR or Four Wheelie? As to the other comments, try and find any race coverage or TT truck coverage or prerunner coverage in the other mags -- very little. OR could be better, and we're trying, but that issue did have H2s in it because IT WAS AN H2 SPECIAL ISSUE. Next issue: Geiser Bros. Silver Chevy; issue after that: Nestor's F-150.

Joel

hoeker

Reaction

joel, the airbrush was in an add, not a feature. thanks for keeping prerunners and REAL off road race trucks in print.

hope to see you at the next CORR race.

www.rosshoek.com

Waldo

Safehouse
Reaction

Even though Joel isn't one of my favorite guys (bashing me way back when), from what I remember, they do not airbrush any feature articles. If the ads are generated in house, they are modified through the request of the advertiser.

Also, Jerry ? wasn't the eidtor of OR in 98. Brent Ross was. He might have been an associate editor or something but I don't remember his name....and I was there until Nov-98. Rick Shandley the editor after that for a few months.

BTW, OR mag has covered prerunner/race trucks/etc. the same for many years since the early to mid ninties. They produce what the masses want. All the one-off fab stuff we all dig does not sell ads to the major deomgraphics. The masses want to see the lifted H2's and other disco trucks. Our hearts are in the right place but it's a localized niche.

JoelMollis

Reaction

But Waldo, if -- as you say -- I'm not one of your favorite people, then why did you invite me over to your house for Thanksgiving dinner? Should I make other plans or did you still want me to bring that liter of cranberry sauce?

Joe

PS -- all of you who think H2s are junk have never had the opportunity to really go off-road in one. I took an H2 to Moab last year and, trust me, I didn't take it easy, and the thing is incredible. No, it won't go fast (too softly sprung and under-damped) but it climbs and articulates and hauls on the freeway -- until the transmission blew out on the way out of Vegas. No comment on the plastic interior.

Bryan_D

Reaction

Isnt the H2 a majority Tahoe?? I thought that they were built on the same platform and ran many of the same parts? Is this true?? Hey Rod Hall made his Dez worthy and all but like has been said the custom fab work cant be done everywhere or appreciated as well.

jeff

Reaction

The H2 is not a Tahoe. The majority of the suspension is based on Suburban 2500 and 1500 parts but GM engineers modified a lot of those pieces. That's why H2 vehicles have H2 specific lift kits/systems. Jeff Cummings has an H2 that he runs in Baja on 37" Krawlers and that guy is pretty tough on equipment. They aren't the best factory off-road vehicle by anymeans but they are still better than most. If I bought a Hummer I'd rather have a new H1 Wagon but my budget screams no. Even the H1 isn't super capable off-road but it's just badass in its own way.

Aloha

matt_helton

Racer
Reaction

Jeff is right but to take it a little further on this allready hi-jacked thread......... the H2 chassis is nothing more than a cluster F that GM threw together like so many other models they have released lately. the front half of the frame and suspension is a 2500HD p/u. the rear of the frame and suspension is basically a 1500 tahoe/sub design with the option of 3/4 ton coils or air bags. and instead of the 10 bolt 1/2 ton axle that the tahoe/sub has it has the 12 bolt axle with a 8 3/4 ring gear.(i think)

so basically they took 2 allready existing chassis and spliced em together and threw the new H2 body on it. whatever, i guess.

even though i work for GM im not real keen on alot of their design and engineering(or lack there of) habits as of late. the SS Silverado and the SSR truck are 2 more examples of what i just spoke of.

John Bitting

Administrator
Reaction

My guess is that Total Chaos modified that ad, why pay to advertise someone else's company.. and as for my thoughts on the H2, they have really grown on me and would take one in a heartbeat, the ultimate take the family to the race mobile.

And as far as Off-Road magazine. I think Joel is doing an awesome job given what he has to work with, keep up the great work. I look forward to my new magazine each month.