Danzio Performance engines

Student

Reaction
Hello all,
I am writing a research paper for school about High Performance engines. I have gotten onto the Danzio website, and couldn't get all of the information I need. I will be comparing the engine(s) used to race the Baja 100 vs the engine in my jeep. Then explain how I would rebuild my engine to perform well enough to race in the Baja 1000. I was reading about the Danzio Geyser Trophy Truck, which uses a chevy small block with upgrades on everything. Does anyone know about these vehicles?

pgarfinkle

Reaction
Have you tried calling Danzio?

Student

Reaction
I e-mailed them and was told that they don't give that information out and to check out some forums

Crusty Shellback

Reaction
Trying to get a engine builder to give you specifics on how they build their engines is going to be rough. That's their bread and butter and they don't want to give out info.
The big stuff to make an engine last in any race is balance of the rotating assembly, good high quality parts, reduce fristion, precession machining. Most race motors run a dry sump oil system and run their pistons rigns with larger gaps than you would on the street. becaus eof that, they also use oil. A good cooling system is also a must as you want to keep the motor at a constant temp. And a good filteration system to keep the dus, dirt and water out of the motor.

MTPyle

Reaction
You don't need a "Race" motor to race the Baja 1000. Lots of classes us stock engines and do very well. In fact as a group the guys with "Race" engines have more failures than the stock guys. Look at TT vs TT spec. how many TT spec guys are blowing engines at the races compared to how many blown TT engines?

It's all about how much power you want to make and how reliable you want to make it. I don't think Danzio or any other engine builder has figured out how to create reliable, High output, and cheap engines. You get to choose two of the 3 listed before.

Your Jeep engine can finish the Baja 1000, may not be as fast as you want but it can finish. Stock UTV's finish.

Mike

dzrt performance

Reaction
there are countless publications (books to you younger generation) that go into great detail of the art of "blueprinting" an engine (assembling an engine to exacting tolerances for optimum performance) going back to the 50's and the golden era of hot rodding.

DanMcMillin

Crane Motorsports
Reaction
Josh is on this forum quite often. I’m sure he would give you some ball park numbers to help accomplish your goal.

Or for $100 I’ll give you his cell #

Crusty Shellback

Reaction
Dzrt P, there is a difference of blue printing a street motor and doing one for racing. One has to last for 100K miles plus, the other for 1000.
Oh, and MT. there are several high HP TT motors out there that will last 1000 miles. Just ask Rob Mac, or one of the McMillin boys for starters.

scottm

Reaction
There are many builders of top level engines - Dougans, Pro Power, Patton, Kroyer, off the top of my head. Any local machine shop should be able to help you understand rebuilding and modifying your own engine for racing. But keep in mind that a TT engine is not rebuilt oem stuff; it is all new high dollar aftermarket. A trend lately is called the spread-bore block. These are blocks made by Brodix and Dart of the ford or chevy small block design, but with a wider bore spacing. A stock sbc has a spacing of 4.400 inches between the bore centers, but a spread bore has a spacing of 4.500. This allows a 'medium block' of 470-480 cubic inches, but also requires matching cranks, heads, cams, intakes, pans, etc. This of course is very expensive. Danzio now has a TT with a big displacement big-block Chevy, I think it's 540ci. I have always thought this approach should be more common than it is. A 500+ ci engine can be built with off-the-shelf parts to deliver the torque and power needed with less rpm, less radical cam, lower octane requirements, and much longer life.

Slippery P

Reaction
Camel hump heads, an RV cam, and pop up pistons are all you need...

Crusty Shellback

Reaction
Camel Hump heads are a thing of the past. A good set of aftermarket Vortec heads will do better. :p Vortec heads, flat top pistons and a RV cam in my 350 I built. Pump gas, 9.5:1 CR Sniper EFI, and pulls 375 HP, 425 TQ. with a flat Torque curve from 2 to 4500 RPM. :cool:

One other big difference between a stock motor and a race motor is the RPM range the run in. Your stok engine will rarley see 6000 RPM, unless you drive like me. o_O But that's still only in 1st and 2nd gear. A race motor like a TT is built to run up in the 8 to 9000 RPM range for long periods of time. That requires a special valve train set up, full roller rockers and lifters. Shaft mounted rocker arms. Good springs and heavy duty valve seats. heavy duty guide plates and push rods. It also requires light weight forged rotating assembly, pistons, rods, crank, all properley matched and balanced.

GBRACER

Reaction
Speaking of school projects this thread has so many spelling mistakes maybe we should all go back to school!!!!!

Bro_Gill

Reaction
This is what happens when they don't have their spell check running on the phone...

MARXICO

Reaction
Student, You picked a category that your yogurt eating sandal wearing Prius driving teacher has no clue about other than the size of carbon footprint is going to leave .
My senior year high school science paper was written straight out of Dirt Bike magazine word for word. I copied an article about Altitude carb timing, I got an A because it was way out of the teacher element and had no clue about what I was talking about and already proof read by a publisher. Find a couple of hot rod magazines or circle track and poof you will be done in about half an hour. Small block Chevy's are in every issue of circle track and hotrod magazine .The difference between your jeep and a trophy truck is big they use the LS version fuel injected and computer operated ,I would limit subject matter to the article you find don't paint yourself into a corner because you chose difficult subject matter that is unatainable
If you copy word for word you will not need spell check

Last edited:

dzrt performance

Reaction
Dzrt P, there is a difference of blue printing a street motor and doing one for racing. One has to last for 100K miles plus, the other for 1000.
Oh, and MT. there are several high HP TT motors out there that will last 1000 miles. Just ask Rob Mac, or one of the McMillin boys for starters.
of course there is. and I thought that is what the point of the post was about......learning what tolerances are used and why, what components are selected and how to assemble. these is golden information from countless years of racing experience in numerous publications.

El Mamito USMC

Reaction
Speaking of school projects this thread has so many spelling mistakes maybe we should all go back to school!!!!!
damn you beat me to it and ESL.. so this is really sad..LOL

dan200

#BSF200
Reaction
Student, You picked a category that your yogurt eating sandal wearing Prius driving teacher has no clue about other than the size of carbon footprint is going to leave .
My senior year high school science paper was written straight out of Dirt Bike magazine word for word. I copied an article about Altitude carb timing, I got an A because it was way out of the teacher element and had no clue about what I was talking about and already proof read by a publisher. Find a couple of hot rod magazines or circle track and poof you will be done in about half an hour. Small block Chevy's are in every issue of circle track and hotrod magazine .The difference between your jeep and a trophy truck is big they use the LS version fuel injected and computer operated ,I would limit subject matter to the article you find don't paint yourself into a corner because you chose difficult subject matter that is unatainable
If you copy word for word you will not need spell check
But, that’s cheating

Student check and see if copying is against the rules. In racing if there is no rule against it, it’s allowed.

Slippery P

Reaction
But, that’s cheating

Student check and see if copying is against the rules. In racing if there is no rule against it, it’s allowed.
No no no Dan, it’s all about how said rule is interpreted. ;)

crazyeye

Reaction
But, that’s cheating

Isn't only cheating if you get caught.