DARPA Autonomous Vehicle Challenge

pjc

Chairman
Check this out!

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.darpa.mil/grandchallenge>http://www.darpa.mil/grandchallenge</A>

Klaus, FYI... I tried to make a 55.6k file attachment but, the BBS app says that the file is too big.

PJCinLV

ACID_RAIN28

I don't understand the vehicles that are to be used?

At one point it says it can be any thing unmaned, then it goes on to say that it cannot be remotely driven????? How would the vehicle know where to go, I am sure you could plot a course and use an on board gps to allow it to navagate a predetermined path, but how does it pass or what does it do for the unpredictable. Mabey I need to read more about it but from what i did read it doesn't make sense?

Anyone can escape into sleep, we are all geniuses when we dream.

JrSyko

Jerry Maguire
I'm sure Kris can enlighten us, but I think they are suppose to be like those ROV's they send to mars for exploration. They are suppose to know what to do and how to do it. They kind of "feel" their way around.

See ya in the dirt!

Kritter

Krittro Campbell
Smart Logic is the word you are looking for JR

Kris
"Buy American before it's too late..."

FABRICATOR

It looks like a financial experiment. They are going to see what can be done by the "public" for $1,000,000. The DOD or their contractors probably can't do it for less than about $500,000,000. The car and the refueling should be simple enough, but the data on where to go and what speed could get a bit tricky. It looks like they do allow input from GPS. The trickiest part is that the vehicle would have to be programmed for the course. This means that it cannot just be pre-ran and logged. However, they will reveal the check points "well in advance" of the event. All it would take is a computer wiz, an expert on data acquisition, GPS, proximity and position sensing, wireless communications, and a good vehicle. Hmmm...

<font color=orange>The best ideas are the ones that look obvious to the casual observer.</font color=orange>

ACID_RAIN28

ahhh, but don't they command the mars rovers from earth, as in where to go and what direction. I am sure that the basic knowledge is implanted in the brain of the machine, it just seems like a LOT of programing to have it feel its way around. Mabey I am just getting it all confused.

on one of the pages it said that it will be similar to a desert off road race, and in my mind that is a fast rough ride, and can't understand how they can program something to do that. but mabey they are not going to go fast at all.

also don't the mars rovers only go like no more than a mile from the landing craft, or out of line of sight? this race is supposed to be like 300 miles right?

Anyone can escape into sleep, we are all geniuses when we dream.

jeff

"The vehicles must not damage the environment or infrastructure."

So I guess tossing R2-D2 into the Land Shark is out? Oh yeah, this includes Kritter's "spectator" damaging machines too I guess.

Aloha

pjc

Chairman
This is a natural extension of the competition that has been held for Autonomous flight as of late. I would imagine that a lot of the same software logic and hardware input and controls mechanisms will apply. Add terrain mapping radar and sonar and it should be a snap for the Caltech and MIT kids.

Where is the "Jolt" Soda?

PJCinLV

TROPHYSEDAN

They just showed it on 4 Wheeler T V .Sal Fish was talking on there.