Dash 08 Shootout Stories

Deenracing

Reaction
Lets hear em! The good the bad, and the ugly!

First thank you Todd for putting the shootout together. Totally first class from my stand point. Fun, Action, and Drama. Copy write it and turn it into a motion picture.

So from the start, there was some talk about a big HP 1600 motor gunna pull me and beat me out of the hole shot award. So I had some thing to prove making sure that my Major's motor beat out a Fat motor. I will give it to you Cody you nosed me off the start. You were really going for it, kudos. Unfotunatly once I grabbed second gear, I passed him, and never looked back and beat him to the hole shot cone. Winner! Maybe next year. Cody and I battled back and forth to the first corner, he would get a car length in front then I would get the better line and the pull him. We were pretty close to side by side right up to the first corner when I got in front of him and never saw him again. I cought the next 2 cars that started in front of us on the staright before the next right hand corner that turnered back to the pits. We fought some dust passed a truck and another car and then turned my sights on Timmy. Timmy and I go way back and I wanted to catch him and pass him in a car that he used to set up. How'ed that feel Tim. LOL. Anyway I cought Tim in the ruff and chased him down he was moving and hade it hard to catch and pass. Trying to get around him I really pushed our car to the limit, Tim said maybe a little further, but I had it undercontrol. There were a few times however that not all the rubber was on the ground in the good way. We got around him about mile 20 or so and had clean air untill about 30 or 35 mile marker when my co-driver said Ladezma was right behind us. He got around us in some ruff stuff and then then I took a better line and passed him back. I was like 2 inches in front of him through the snow cones by the prison and was waiting for the "love tap" as we dropped into the wash. I headed for hard ground and he stayed right I found some traction and was grabbing gear and put some distance between us. I never saw him after that but knew that he was still there. The rest of lap saw no behind us.

Second lap kept the foot on the wood and tried to put some distance between me and the rest of the field because I knew that there were fast guys that started in the back that were trying to make up ground. Towards the end of the second lap I noticed that when I shifted it felt like the clutch slipped but I kept telling myself everything was fine. If you say its not broke its not right?:rolleyes:

Third lap about mile 18 or 20 my fears were coming true. When i would shift into third I could hear the motor rev for a second then come back down. After awhile every time the car left the ground and landed the clutch would slip. I babied it around the rest of lap but by the time I got under the second trussel I had to play with the throtle just to keep the car going. By the time I headed to the start/finish line I knew it wouldn't make it around again, so I made the call to change it, knowing that it would be the loss of the race. We still had a 5 minute lead at this point.

Forth lap, Stopped at the pit, pulled the motor and saw that the rear seal for the transmission was spitting oil out and had soaked the clutch. We pulled the seal out, I tightened the seal spring put way to much silicone on it. Shoved it back in cleaned everything, put the motor back in and took off. That took about 45 min. Desprate to make up some time I was pushing the car pretty good. At mile 18 or so I broke the pass rear torsion bar. And that was that. We drove the car getto style, 3 wheel motion baby, all the way to the finish.

Great race, lots of fun. If I could afford it I would do it again tomorrow.

Congrats to everyone. Good time and good people. Thanks again Todd!

I want to thank my crew for getting to the clutch problem and all the help we recieved from neighboring pits. Thanks to Todd's crew for tring to locate Andy, from Major Performance.

Cody, I would look into getting that motor looked at. I think the best mine puts out is like 84, 85 HP.

Dave, I want my 10 dollars!:D

MALABANAN

Reaction
Lets hear em! The good the bad, and the ugly!

First thank you Todd for putting the shootout together. Totally first class from my stand point. Fun, Action, and Drama. Copy write it and turn it into a motion picture.

So from the start, there was some talk about a big HP 1600 motor gunna pull me and beat me out of the hole shot award. So I had some thing to prove making sure that my Major's motor beat out a Fat motor. I will give it to you Cody you nosed me off the start. You were really going for it, kudos. Unfotunatly once I grabbed second gear, I passed him, and never looked back and beat him to the hole shot cone. Winner! Maybe next year. Cody and I battled back and forth to the first corner, he would get a car length in front then I would get the better line and the pull him. We were pretty close to side by side right up to the first corner when I got in front of him and never saw him again. I cought the next 2 cars that started in front of us on the staright before the next right hand corner that turnered back to the pits. We fought some dust passed a truck and another car and then turned my sights on Timmy. Timmy and I go way back and I wanted to catch him and pass him in a car that he used to set up. How'ed that feel Tim. LOL. Anyway I cought Tim in the ruff and chased him down he was moving and hade it hard to catch and pass. Trying to get around him I really pushed our car to the limit, Tim said maybe a little further, but I had it undercontrol. There were a few times however that not all the rubber was on the ground in the good way. We got around him about mile 20 or so and had clean air untill about 30 or 35 mile marker when my co-driver said Ladezma was right behind us. He got around us in some ruff stuff and then then I took a better line and passed him back. I was like 2 inches in front of him through the snow cones by the prison and was waiting for the "love tap" as we dropped into the wash. I headed for hard ground and he stayed right I found some traction and was grabbing gear and put some distance between us. I never saw him after that but knew that he was still there. The rest of lap saw no behind us.

Second lap kept the foot on the wood and tried to put some distance between me and the rest of the field because I knew that there were fast guys that started in the back that were trying to make up ground. Towards the end of the second lap I noticed that when I shifted it felt like the clutch slipped but I kept telling myself everything was fine. If you say its not broke its not right?:rolleyes:

Third lap about mile 18 or 20 my fears were coming true. When i would shift into third I could hear the motor rev for a second then come back down. After awhile every time the car left the ground and landed the clutch would slip. I babied it around the rest of lap but by the time I got under the second trussel I had to play with the throtle just to keep the car going. By the time I headed to the start/finish line I knew it wouldn't make it around again, so I made the call to change it, knowing that it would be the loss of the race. We still had a 5 minute lead at this point.

Forth lap, Stopped at the pit, pulled the motor and saw that the rear seal for the transmission was spitting oil out and had soaked the clutch. We pulled the seal out, I tightened the seal spring put way to much silicone on it. Shoved it back in cleaned everything, put the motor back in and took off. That took about 45 min. Desprate to make up some time I was pushing the car pretty good. At mile 18 or so I broke the pass rear torsion bar. And that was that. We drove the car getto style, 3 wheel motion baby, all the way to the finish.

Great race, lots of fun. If I could afford it I would do it again tomorrow.

Congrats to everyone. Good time and good people. Thanks again Todd!

I want to thank my crew for getting to the clutch problem and all the help we recieved from neighboring pits. Thanks to Todd's crew for tring to locate Andy, from Major Performance.

Cody, I would look into getting that motor looked at. I think the best mine puts out is like 84, 85 HP.

Dave, I want my 10 dollars!:D
I was at mile marker 32, before the prison right turn, you were haulin'!!!

Deenracing

Reaction
In-car camera footage coming soon!

NIKAL

Reaction
Eric,
I need to get with you as I have your $500.00 cash for the fast lap award from Team Agro and Elite Auto Center. Hopefully that should get you some torsion bars! BTW is the car still for sale?

<Cody Agee>

Whippersnapper!
Reaction
haha I will need to get my motor looked at because I think it's grenaded. Nice job you ALMOST won it it all:D

Deenracing

Reaction
Eric,
I need to get with you as I have your $500.00 cash for the fast lap award from Team Agro and Elite Auto Center. Hopefully that should get you some torsion bars! BTW is the car still for sale?

Yeah no kidding! maybe a few dollars to spare too!

Yes the car is still for sale! I'm am going to post it up as soon as I get it all cleaned up.

TLR fab

Reaction
Ya ya Eric, I hear ya, you were the fastest for a while, I guess I was just thinking of a pace that would be fast, but still give Jason a good car for the last half. Jason and I concured ps would have been nice, it will be there for the next race! The old timer that I am, I was driven to finish, by the way, how'd you finish fast guy........oh ya never mind....hehehehe!!!

A

Andy McMillin

I have my incar footage that worked until about halfway through the first lap. I'll see if I can post it up on here.

REEVESRacing

Reaction
I have my incar footage that worked until about halfway through the first lap. I'll see if I can post it up on here.

Nice - would love to see it, man you guys / the truck looked great, sorry about dnf, next time.

Deenracing

Reaction
Ya ya Eric, I hear ya, you were the fastest for a while, I guess I was just thinking of a pace that would be fast, but still give Jason a good car for the last half. Jason and I concured ps would have been nice, it will be there for the next race! The old timer that I am, I was driven to finish, by the way, how'd you finish fast guy........oh ya never mind....hehehehe!!!

Your a funny guy! My brothers and I came to the agreement that if we raced we were going for the win or break. Well We all know what happened! I didn't care about the finish just the win! I guess I was seeing $$$$$$ before it was over. Oh well!

On a sad note I am officially retiring from 5-1600. As of this weekend if everything goes through I will be racecarless:( and posting on here how fast I was and how nobody could beat me unless I broke LOL. Anybody need a back up driver!;)

Oh yeah Tim I almost forgot even though my co-dawg forgot to turn the camera on for the start (bonehead) he turned it on when we passed you! So I got that going for me.

Deenracing

Reaction

Attachments

• DSC00980.jpg
    DSC00980.jpg
    262.8 KB · Views: 201
  • DSC00981.jpg
    DSC00981.jpg
    259.8 KB · Views: 158

DSRacing

Mini Metal MOD
Reaction
Had a fun time at the Dash, I was hoping to pre-run the course the day before and it just didn't happen. It looked like one of the rear shocks had a bad seal and I spent most of the day trying to track down a replacement to no avail. To hell with it, we will simply run and if it goes, oh well. We downloaded a GPS map of the course from JC Andrews at around 9:30 that night.

I started the race and my plan was to simply put down some consistent laps. Though I hadn't seen the course, I was familiar with some sections which we had raced on before. The first half had some new sections and was very tight and technical, the second half was very fast. The course had a little bit of everything. After two laps I came into the pit for a driver change and fuel. We with about a 10 minute lead on JC. Normally we can get the drivers switched out before the fueling has been done. When I finished buckling in my partner, I notice our crew was already done with the gas. (Remember this part):D

Our third lap was uneventful but JC had to stop and change out his driveshaft. About three miles into our fourth and final lap, we get a call on the radio the truck is stopped with steering issues. The steering shaft had loosened where it connects with the sterring box. After about ten minutes of downtime, they got going again at a reduced pace. Now we only had about a five minute lead on the Fantelli truck. At about the halfway point our lead is down to about three minutes. At about mile 35, our driver calls in again saying the engine is stumbling and down on power, they stopped to clean the air filters and Fantelli passed them for the lead.

As our truck passes through the last checkpoint about seven miles from the finish, the engine dies. I head over there and guess what, we are out of gas. Oh hell, I'm resigned to salvaging another second place finish if we can get the truck fueled and stay ahead of Andrews. We borrow 10 gallons of fuel from a spectator and got the truck fired up again and on it's way. At the pit stop, we dumped 23 gallons of gas which is about normal, We needed an extra five gallons. Our pit crew didn't take into account the extra fuel we burned with the deep sand and high speed sections.

Not even two minutes later, we get another call on the radio and I'm thinking the truck died again. They had just passed Fantelli who apparently had broke down. We had the lead back and we got our first win this year.

JC Andrews took first place this year in 7s and more importantly he captured the overall points championship for the MDR Superstition series.

Deenracing

Reaction
Had a fun time at the Dash, I was hoping to pre-run the course the day before and it just didn't happen. It looked like one of the rear shocks had a bad seal and I spent most of the day trying to track down a replacement to no avail. To hell with it, we will simply run and if it goes, oh well. We downloaded a GPS map of the course from JC Andrews at around 9:30 that night.

I started the race and my plan was to simply put down some consistent laps. Though I hadn't seen the course, I was familiar with some sections which we had raced on before. The first half had some new sections and was very tight and technical, the second half was very fast. The course had a little bit of everything. After two laps I came into the pit for a driver change and fuel. We with about a 10 minute lead on JC. Normally we can get the drivers switched out before the fueling has been done. When I finished buckling in my partner, I notice our crew was already done with the gas. (Remember this part):D

Our third lap was uneventful but JC had to stop and change out his driveshaft. About three miles into our fourth and final lap, we get a call on the radio the truck is stopped with steering issues. The steering shaft had loosened where it connects with the sterring box. After about ten minutes of downtime, they got going again at a reduced pace. Now we only had about a five minute lead on the Fantelli truck. At about the halfway point our lead is down to about three minutes. At about mile 35, our driver calls in again saying the engine is stumbling and down on power, they stopped to clean the air filters and Fantelli passed them for the lead.

As our truck passes through the last checkpoint about seven miles from the finish, the engine dies. I head over there and guess what, we are out of gas. Oh hell, I'm resigned to salvaging another second place finish if we can get the truck fueled and stay ahead of Andrews. We borrow 10 gallons of fuel from a spectator and got the truck fired up again and on it's way. At the pit stop, we dumped 23 gallons of gas which is about normal, We needed an extra five gallons. Our pit crew didn't take into account the extra fuel we burned with the deep sand and high speed sections.

Not even two minutes later, we get another call on the radio and I'm thinking the truck died again. They had just passed Fantelli who apparently had broke down. We had the lead back and we got our first win this year.

JC Andrews took first place this year in 7s and more importantly he captured the overall points championship for the MDR Superstition series.

Congratulations! Overall points is a big deal, SWEET! I this the same truck that I see a Spirt's shop all the time? Jeremy is a good friend of mine and my brother in-law is Erin Flaherty used to work for him and on that truck. Small world.

WideOpenMotorsports

Reaction
Let me begin by thanking MDR and ALL the racers in the Superstition Series. We decided to race MDR when all of the quality racing promoters in Az. went by the wayside. It was a long season traveling from Tucson, Az each race, but well worth it. Our hopes were to run and finish every race in the sportsman unlimited class and we did.

Our race was uneventful as 2 of the 6 entries didn't make the starting line and by the time I was on my third lap everyone in the class either crashed or broke down. We did suffer 2 flats, but other than that the car ran well and with the exception of 1 rather hard nerf from a 5-1600 car in a dusty area, we enjoyed every minute.

We will not be making the banquet on Sunday, but I do want to extend my gratitude to everyone who was involved or raced with MDR this year. You guys are all a class group and I will be recommending this series to everyone I know in Az.

A. McCollum
Wide Open Motorsports
2008 Sportsman Unlimited Class Champion

harleys dad

Reaction
now thats funny, forgeting to turn the camera on lol but thinking to turn it on for the pass on timmy. Didnt work out for me to race this one, but I have everything to put one together for later in the year if they plan on another maybe me and the now racecarless faster now than when he had a car poster will get together. Just not enough hours in the day to do all the things I want to. But I am trying!!

TLR fab

Reaction
The double shear plates are already on king dave. the templates he's talkin about are the rack mount plates. Thanks for the offer Eric, but I like doing my own stuff. I actually already figured out a way to do it without raising the rack, as that adds leverage to the slider inside the rack by moving the inner tie rod pivots farther from the rack.

Deenracing

Reaction
The double shear plates are already on king dave. the templates he's talkin about are the rack mount plates. Thanks for the offer Eric, but I like doing my own stuff. I actually already figured out a way to do it without raising the rack, as that adds leverage to the slider inside the rack by moving the inner tie rod pivots farther from the rack.

We thought of that already and knew that it would be a problem so we checked constantly. But know it's someone elses problem. the new owner and I met in barstow this morning. I am racecarless now:(

JCA

Reaction

Thanks Cliff. It was a great year for us, that is for sure!!!

Congratulations! Overall points is a big deal, SWEET! I this the same truck that I see a Spirt's shop all the time? Jeremy is a good friend of mine and my brother in-law is Erin Flaherty used to work for him and on that truck. Small world.

Thanks. We are totally stoked about the overall championship as well as the class championship. If you are asking if my truck was at Spirit, no it has never been there, though I did buy the frame from them when we first started building it.

mexracer10

Reaction
Its better late than never. I raced in the 1202 raceco and we had 6 race cars racing out of our camp the racing 905 toyota 708 and the 16 rancho racing car my 1202 car, and 3 ,5-16 cars. So by race day the rancho guys were dns with motor problems. I was 4th car off the line and everything was running smooth and the car was fast. This being my second race in class 12 the car is way fast for me. I caught the first car at rm2 and wsa in the dust of the Jason Gregory car. Only having preran once i was taking it easy on the first section and slowly realed in my team mate in the 708 truck. I was behind him not being able to get around for about 7 miles. This is where i noticed the 2 lead 16 car blasting past me on "alternative lines" Well i was pissed the 16 cars got around me so i caught up thr truck and left him behind in my quest to catch the 16 cars. Well crossing the first tresstle i got on the gas and was flat out and then at rm 30 the car makes a pop and locks the rear wheels and starts to slide over to passenger side. I thought i broke a cv or hub. Well i coast off the course and hop out and look and notice some smoke comming from the engine. Taking a closer look i can see me crank shaft and #1 rod looking at me though a hole about the size of a soft all on the top of the block. So that was the end to the last day of the year for me. So for our camp there was a first place finish for the 708 truck and a second to last place finish in 5-16 and one roll over for another 5-16 with a dnf and the other 5-16 dnf with broken transmission. So it was one of those races that you were having so much fun even for such a short time you cant wait to get out there again. So far we are 0 for 2 with this raceco its due for a finish soon.