dashboard removal

dezerts10

BANG!! BANG!!
I have decided that its about that time to start to remove the dashboard from my truck. since i do not have any heater/defroster or a/c anymore my dash is just holding my gage cluster and stereo. I want to build an aluminium dash but i have two air bages in my stock dash. my question is will disconecting my battery disable my air bags? i dont wanna be loosening my dash and get a suprise in the face by way of an exploding air bag.

Thanks for the help
Gregg

jeff

I'm not sure on the S-10 but here's what I know about most air bag systems... even after the battery is disconnected the SRS systems retain enough reserve juice to fire the bags for anywhere from 1 minute to almost an hour. When I took my crash/rescue stuff in school they covered how to deal with them at the site of a crash. You can look up your vehicles time chart online at www.nhtsa.dot.gov[url] - at least y...dash repair with everything connected. Aloha

fishd00d

What A Joke
Sell your bags on ebay....you'd be suprised what they are worth....

Go Big Or Go Home
United Jumping Truck Society

evan_clanin

there were lil hoodlums coming down here from miami and stealing just airbags, and selling them to chop shops for like 250 each

aim for the moon even if you miss you will land among the stars

fishd00d

What A Joke
Ya Tacoma airbags are worth the most I have seen on ebay...like $500+ each!

Go Big Or Go Home

Curtis Guise

Administrator
What do you think about a '95 T-100 airbag in the steering wheel? I would like to get rid of it and replace the wheel but it also has cruise control and I would like to keep that if possible since I have long freeway trips to get to the desert on 5. If I could get a bunch of money for it though I might just replace the wheel with or without CC. It always scares me having an airbag in front of you when I am out on a race course....

evan_clanin

is there any way u can jimmy the switch out of the wheel, and mount it some where then u could just sell the whell, i think they make like caps that cover the holes for the switches

aim for the moon even if you miss you will land among the stars

Curtis Guise

Administrator
its a lever that is behind the wheel but I can't tell if its attached to the wheel or the column because it turns with the wheel. So it isn't a switch that is part of the front of the wheel, which might be good for what I want to do. I need to check it out some more I guess.

Dillon

Dang! I don't need airbags do I?? lol They sure didn't help last time I rolled my Tacoma.

fishd00d

What A Joke
The air bag comes out of the wheel. Its not all one part....you can just take out the airbag it is just bolted in with like 2 bolts. Then you are stuck with a hole in the steering wheel though...my friend just duct taped his up lol...

I am sure the T100 airbag would be close to the price of the Tacoma airbag....start the bidding at like $300 and let it go from there....also get the controller for the airbags out and that will make them be worth more...

Go Big Or Go Home

ACID_RAIN28

Safe way to remove them, if you are not selling them.

Take a hammer and smash it on the sensor on the front core! Pop them off, then remove them with the knowledge that they are safe.

IF ALL ELSE FAILS.......DROP THE "HAMMER"!

Kritter

Krittro Campbell
Save those sensors and make it activate something like a light or flasher that goes off when you go big!

Kris
"Buy American before it's too late"

ACID_RAIN28

that better yet hook it to a pressure switch that works when some one sits on the seat and get your sister, brother, or foe to "Check out" the kool gauges!

beamdream

Dude, first unplug the battery. Then take off the two bolts under towards the back of the wheel and disconnect the wiring inside. It took like 10 minutes to do. Then turn around and sell em' on eBay. I got like $300 for the drivers side alone. And yes, the duct tape is damn ugly (huh Austin!), but better than getting whiplash by an oversized plastic shopping bag deploying in my face.

C-$

ACID_RAIN28

Has anyone heard of or has experianced the airbags deploying while "gett N busy" ? Mabey after a good hit on the front, I figure it is possible, just wanted to know if it happend to anyone?

Kritter

Krittro Campbell
ask fish for the video of the guy in the F150 from oco over the summer.

Kris
"Buy American before it's too late"

fishd00d

What A Joke
Ya here is the video:

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.pencilart.com/photo/plastercity.htm>http://www.pencilart.com/photo/plastercity.htm</A>

Go Big Or Go Home