Jammminjay

Reaction
People remember Dave Shoppe as the champion Class 8 driver sporting his yellow and white General Tire Ford F150 race truck who duked it out in Baja with the legends such as Walker Evans, Rod Hall, and Frank Vessels. What they don’t remember is the 1991 F150 that he never raced; that’s because we remember Frank “Scoop” Vessels and Robby Gordon driving it. We recognize it as “Roseanne” that used to champion the legendary Valvoline livery. After selling the freshly built Class 8 in 1991, he left offroad completely and didn’t look back. Thirty years later, he would have the opportunity to buy the truck and be reunited with it. When I found out, I asked Dave if I could come to check out the truck for myself and write this story. But this story isn’t just about just Roseanne; it is a story of how Dave is being not only reunited with a truck he never had a chance to race but being reunited with the offroad community...

Continue reading...

Last edited by a moderator:

Jammminjay

Reaction
Great article! I got goosebumps just reading it. I wasn't around to watch the racing but man I wish I had been!

True legends of the sport!!
I appreciate the kind words, I spent hours talking to him. I wasn't even alive when he was racing so hearing the incredible stories from Dave was an absolute honor, I wish I had seen him race. I ended up spending 4 hours at their shop talking to him.

Jammminjay

Reaction
Thanks to @Mark Newhan for getting us in contact with Dave and suggesting this feature!
I just talked to Dave and here is what he said about the article.

"When you have to let something go that is a huge part of your life it’s hard to even talk about. I haven’t smiled like this since I could remember Thank You Jason"

- Dave

Will_Higman

Dakar Finisher
Reaction
Website
www.willhigman.com
Best RDC feature for quite some time... So cool!

:)

Bro_Gill

Reaction
Heard many stories about Dave from one of my captains, Dave worked for the same fire department I did as well as owning the junkyard all the old CDF guys went to around Hemet/San Jac. I only saw Dave at races when he flew by!

Anger Issues

Reaction
I think my first race was the Gold Coast 300 with Mike Coleman in about 1987. I was fortunate enough to see Dave race, along with Scoop, Manny, Rod, Walker , Mears, and SO many other legends "back in the day". We were hooked on off-road racing with goose-bumps from that very first red truck going by (Larry Minor maybe?). Mike built his first truck from a 3/4 ton Chevy long-bed and we (he) won the stone-stock full-size championship in La Rana in 1990-91. I am very happy to see this truck go back to Dave and I hope he fully wraps her back to the true 99 Valvoline stickers. I tried to talk Mike into it, ha ha. Great article, I'd like to see more of these! By the way, Rosanne's original "rear-end" with tube supports and trusses now sits under a linked square body 74 Chevy C10 named "Red Dog", with an LSx. I hope Tony V gets my dad's early love back in the baja dezert soon!!

Old Truck Guy

Reaction
Is this the truck he built to replace the 1988 SCORE class 8 championship winning truck that he sold to the Mc Millin family in '89? If I recall correctly, he raced a portion of the next season in this newly built state of the art class 8 that had some design issues that sidelined him for the latter part of the season. I also thought that truck had an inverted 1/2 elliptic spring layout in the rear.