Day in the life of an mdr volunteer

drj777

home late friday - off work @ midnight...
home to pack the truck - then a nap.

up @ 500am to meet jim & patricia by 8am for course marking

grab a little sustenance for the day @ cafe 247 - theyre breakfast burrito HAS GRAVY IN IT!!!

by the time i hit the lake bed - jim & patricia have already set the 1st course marker...time to work!

dave & james were also there to help - i just forgot to take their picture
(dave also makes the GPS files for us all to use)

my supplies for the day...a couple different staplers - signs - stakes...reflective tape

the weather was pretty nice - and that makes the work a little easier...:)

heres just some of the trash i removed from the course...some of it right on trail!

this stuff was @ least a foot tall...:eek:

(i snuck in a little ride afterwards to relax)

then on the way home - traffic was stopped on the 210 to allow a medi-vac chopper to land @ the scene of a bad accident...(the same chopper that came to the rockpile sunday)

(earlier on the 15 i saw a tire explode on a passenger car, and later a windshield popped out of someones vehicle and flew into another car - weird day)

my round trip was about 15 hours...then home to un-pack the truck...till race weekend.:eek:

RACE WEEKEND :

up @ 8am to repack the truck...thankfully its a night race - so i get to sleep a little more than 4 hours...but now traffic sucks bad.:(

430 pm i arrive @ pit row - get my "assignment" & then make my way to RM30-40...
end up chilling with CHECK 2 (you guys were great!!) throughout the race...& by the time its all over - i make it back to START FINISH @ 330am...then after a few drinks and SOBE bombs with some of my fellow volunteers - its lights out a little after 4am...:p

unfortunately my chic was kinda naggin' me before i left & i forgot to pack something to sleep in/on...so it was a night in the passenger seat sleeping uder a towel for me...WOO HOO!!:mad:

i woke up with the sun - as usual in the desert (with no camper) - everyone else was still asleep - so i decided to begin "clearing the course" alone...about 4 hrs later i had cleared the first 23 miles of the course of markers and even more trash than last week!!!:eek:

by the time i finished - i got the call that DAVE (rover 4) had cleared the other half of the course - phew!! - that was good news!!

once again - i had some time to ride - so i decided to run the 2nd half of the course - wow - it was pretty torn up & killer to ride - but it beat me up good!!:cool:

got back to start finish to find jim & patricia were packed & ready to go when they realized that theyre f150 had a leak in the power steering...luckily i keep an extra quart of transmission fluid on hand - and that was enough to get them safely down the road.:D

hot, exhausted & on very little sleep - i pack up the truck (again) & ALL THE NEW TRASH...and make my way home (about 150 miles)
...then in about 2 weeks - i'll do it all over again.

i average about 3 days of work & 1300 miles of driving per race...i make about 60 -100 signs...and pound just as many stakes, all because i love offroad racing...:D

...and i am just ONE MDR volunteer...

drj
:cool:

JAM 1600

Rep sent your way for what you do for all of us racers ! :)

stokessdca

nice post, thanks for your commitment to off road racing. the night races
can be brutal on the volunteers.

drj777

...myself and the other volunteers are happy to do it...:D

drj

LARDOG

Its guys and girls like you that make it possible for families like mind to be able to race offroad. For that I have to say THANK YOU so much for all you people do for us racers. I know there will be a day when I am to old to race and when that time comes I will be a volunteer for sure. Thank you again for the story and your help. Remember people, its people like this who make our sport happen. Give'm some love!

TROPHYSEDAN

Being a racer and a volunteer you get to see both sides.
as a racer, thanks to all the volunteers for waiting on the last car tell 2 in the morning to finish. the check points getting your number and letting you go while cheering you on.
as a volunteer, sitting in the sun eating dirt for 6-8 hrs. gotta love it. flagging start finish you get to see some of the biggist smiles on there faces when they finish.
Thanks Dennis

TreyP

"F" you Bill
Being a racer and a volunteer you get to see both sides.
as a racer, thanks to all the volunteers for waiting on the last car tell 2 in the morning to finish. the check points getting your number and letting you go while cheering you on.
as a volunteer, sitting in the sun eating dirt for 6-8 hrs. gotta love it. flagging start finish you get to see some of the biggist smiles on there faces when they finish.
Thanks Dennis
You hit it on the head Dennis. No matter what race series you volunteer for, the look on the faces of the racers when they finish is the best. The best ones are the people that have driven thru hell and back, limping into the finish with only seconds from time out and making it. That makes the volunteers life worth every minute.

All I can say as a volunteer and racer is a huge thanks to anyone that supports racing by volunteering. It a boring job, but without you we can't race.

A note to all racers...Honk as you pass a course worker. It is the ultimate tribute to them.

Tundranation

I flagged the MDR night race at Plaster City in the driving wind start to finish and wouldn't have traded my spot for anything !!!!! The look of Joy on Luke McMillin's face when he finished, waiting to see if he won his class was priceless !!!!!!!!:eek::D close but no cigar !!! The joy and happiness of every racer that night that finished was awesome !! Made Volunteering so much fun !!!!!!! I also staged the the racers for the event .....from the pre race anticipation to the post race exhaustion it was a great experience ....cant wait for the next race to do it all over again ... !!!! :D

CHASER

Janota!!!!! Dude get a job or something. Or at least come down to SD and get a beer with me. Going to make the 1000?

kwood

I'm a believer
Awesome write up! Very cool all you do to make sure the racers get to race.

I for one love volunteering. I get to go out and watch a race (my favorite thing in the world), wave some chase trucks and spectators through the road crossing I'm at, hang out with/meet awesome people and just relax and hang out all day. Its either that or I sit at home staring at my computer, I'll take volunteering anyday! Just did a road crossing at the KC hilites midnight special and will be at the SNORE 250 for a road crossing next, can't wait!

drj777

i drove more than 3000 miles in the first 6 MDR races i volunteered for...going up to lucerne & then down to plaster city for course marking 1 weekend and then the race the following weekend...and that was back when course marking took 2 full days!!

we'd have folks volunteer to help - then not show up...or they would come down then split after a couple hours...brutal. :mad:

i cant even fathom the $$$ i spent on gas alone...thats how much i love offroad racing!!!

drj

tmathews

I flagged the MDR night race at Plaster City in the driving wind start to finish and wouldn't have traded my spot for anything !!!!! The look of Joy on Luke McMillin's face when he finished, waiting to see if he won his class was priceless !!!!!!!!:eek::D close but no cigar !!! The joy and happiness of every racer that night that finished was awesome !! Made Volunteering so much fun !!!!!!! I also staged the the racers for the event .....from the pre race anticipation to the post race exhaustion it was a great experience ....cant wait for the next race to do it all over again ... !!!! :D
Same goes for me !!! Couldn't have said it better !!