• Forum membership has its advantages....

Death of Wildcat XX?

mspina

I can't remember the exact article but I read on a deep web travel that Textron was backing down production and sounds like going to almost build when bought status. Anyone heard something similar?

slvrbullet

I can't remember the exact article but I read on a deep web travel that Textron was backing down production and sounds like going to almost build when bought status. Anyone heard something similar?
They are doing this on the snow mobile front. It's working out very well for one of my local dealers and the dealer likes it so they don't have to pay interest on the floor models. The XX is being private labeled for Bass pro shop and the 2021 models Arctic cat wildcat XX will be upgraded compared the Bass pro version. There's a lot of BS going around the internet lately about Textron and Arctic Cat. some true but mostly false. The biggest problem right now is keeping up with parts availability as the demand for the machine is growing.

Bricoop

Their manufacturing facilities are being reorganized. I've been told they are also addressing weaknesses in the model. Certain recommendations from RGM didn't make it into the initial designs. Seems that some of those are being addressed.

mspina

I hope so! I always liked their platform and felt like they were the best overall out of the box. Just not the most popular by name and slightly down on hp

Nessy

I saw several commercials on MavTv last weekend from Textron about a lot of new models coming out.

michael.gonzalez

I look forward to seeing more XX's out there. They seem like a very good platform.

novaman64

Ive been trying to keep up on social media. Form what I have gathered from Todd Romano, they actually bought their own manufacturing plant are going to be building there own UTV's (seperate from Textron). 72" wide with 22" travel, the 4 seater will be 116" and the 2 seater will be 105". 2 motor options, 1000cc turbo and a 1400cc 300hp turbo. The 1400cc engine is only allowed to be produced under 500 units per year because of some weird mfg laws. Upgraded diff, transmission and also in house built engine (not outsourced to Yamaha). Seems very affordable for what they are... 1400cc models will ship with 35"s, everything else will come with a 32".

Oh ya, and they are coming factory with a 20 gallon tank. If they sell enough units to make the production rules, these should dominate the new SCORE Pro Production class.

Last edited:

Ol' Curmudgeon

RDC's resident crackpot
Reminds me of the Tiger ATV story.

Total Loss

also in house built engine (not outsourced to Yamaha).

That is nearly impossible he will find. Cost and engineering into a new motor is astronomical.

I don't believe that.

NIKAL

I can not see RGM/Speed developing and manufacturing engines. The engines will be an outsourced product just like the dIf, trans & clutches will be. Just dealing with the CARB compliance would be a huge undertaking and expense.

I’ve said it before and even talked to Todd Romano about it before. Weber/Textron motors makes a great twin cylinder engine used in Marine use, and is in the Arctic Cat Havoc. My understanding is that (MPE) engine has huge potential and is highly detuned in the Havoc (100 hp) The torque #’s are better then all the other UTV engines, and can still pull 7500 rpms that the CVT’s like. The MPE engines cylinders are sleeved so you can replace a sleeve vs the block if worn or damaged. This also allows for the use of bigger pistons (larger CC displacement) without actually boring the block if possible. Other innovative design features are reversible cylinder head, power can be driven off either side of the engine. And this engine is designed for multiple uses, from 20 hp to 155 hp applications. Biggest question is it’s CARB compliance for the application? (The 155 hp version does have its US-EPA certs)

I would only be speculating but if Robby is keeping any sort of relationship with Textron, that could be s very viable option for a power plant, that is already proven in harsh environments and is already used in the Havoc UTV. But is the high HP turbo version CARB compliant for Automotive use?

Bricoop

Ive been trying to keep up on social media. Form what I have gathered from Todd Romano, they actually bought their own manufacturing plant are going to be building there own UTV's (seperate from Textron). 72" wide with 22" travel, the 4 seater will be 116" and the 2 seater will be 105". 2 motor options, 1000cc turbo and a 1400cc 300hp turbo. The 1400cc engine is only allowed to be produced under 500 units per year because of some weird mfg laws. Upgraded diff, transmission and also in house built engine (not outsourced to Yamaha). Seems very affordable for what they are... 1400cc models will ship with 35"s, everything else will come with a 32".

Oh ya, and they are coming factory with a 20 gallon tank. If they sell enough units to make the production rules, these should dominate the new SCORE Pro Production class.
Damn, We'll see what BITD and SCORE have to say about them running in the production class. These seem like a great platform to turn into a racecar.

Bricoop

I can not see RGM/Speed developing and manufacturing engines. The engines will be an outsourced product just like the dIf, trans & clutches will be. Just dealing with the CARB compliance would be a huge undertaking and expense.

I’ve said it before and even talked to Todd Romano about it before. Weber/Textron motors makes a great twin cylinder engine used in Marine use, and is in the Arctic Cat Havoc. My understanding is that (MPE) engine has huge potential and is highly detuned in the Havoc (100 hp) The torque #’s are better then all the other UTV engines, and can still pull 7500 rpms that the CVT’s like. The MPE engines cylinders are sleeved so you can replace a sleeve vs the block if worn or damaged. This also allows for the use of bigger pistons (larger CC displacement) without actually boring the block if possible. Other innovative design features are reversible cylinder head, power can be driven off either side of the engine. And this engine is designed for multiple uses, from 20 hp to 155 hp applications. Biggest question is it’s CARB compliance for the application? (The 155 hp version does have its US-EPA certs)

I would only be speculating but if Robby is keeping any sort of relationship with Textron, that could be s very viable option for a power plant, that is already proven in harsh environments and is already used in the Havoc UTV. But is the high HP turbo version CARB compliant for Automotive use?
Good info! Based on the lawsuits, it seems the there will not be much cooperation between the 2 going forward.

NIKAL

Lawsuits are just business. He could still have a good relationship with the company & management, as it’s my understanding that the lawsuit is in regards to the private label of the XX to Bass Pro & it’s Tracker brand. I have not read it, but was told it involved Robby & Todd’s royalties being excluded on the Tracker brand as it’s not an Arctic Cat vehicle.

Who knows maybe this is all part of an arrangement made, where Arctic Cat manufacturing builds this new car for Speed Unlimited. Honestly that would be a win for both parties. Arctic Cat becomes a contract manufacture for Bass Pro & Speed Unlimited and still builds their own product. Currently and for years past Arctic Cat’s Sled & UTV production had been seasonal. Becoming a contract manufactures could keep production open longer or all year. And for Robby to start a real production manufacturing facility would cost in the tens of Millions, and that’s before employees and actually building a single unit.

novaman64

Damn, We'll see what BITD and SCORE have to say about them running in the production class. These seem like a great platform to turn into a racecar.
According to the rule book, they just need to produce "quantities of at least 1000 units for sale to the general public"...