Deaver Contingency

Jkrell

Reaction
Now without starting a war or major issues I want to know if any other racers have had problems with Contingency payouts from Deaver. Don't get me wrong I love deavers product and for the most part Jeff and Eric have been way cool with me.

This is my problem. After winning the wildwash last year I was really excited becasause the MDR Contingency form for Deaver says race winner entitled to either "service, prep, or new" ( <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.mdrracing.com/pdfforms/2002contingency.pdf>http://www.mdrracing.com/pdfforms/2002contingency.pdf</A> ) ....I'm thinking sweet I am going to get a new set of springs. Finally somebody who gives back to a racer. I call up Jeff at Deaver and ask him if I can get a set of the 62's for my race truck. Jeff laughs and said no that must be a misprint all I am able to get is a spring prep. I'm bummed but figure, hey the guys got to make a living so I don't push it.

So this year I win the wildwash and now I have two "spring preps" coming from Deaver since I never used last years. So we are lifting the tow vehicle for my race truck and I need the springs re-done. My friend had called last week and got quoted at 190 for the spring rework. I called yesterday and asked if I could use one of my contingency awards toward the spring rework. Jeff tells me no the price is still 190 and he will throw in a set of u-bolts. Great....so I say fine...I guess I will take what I can get. So my buddy takes the springs down there today and now the price is 300 and maybe he can get to them in a few days. So now we have an 03 chevy sitting with no rear springs that we are supposed to take to parker this weekend.

Again, I stress that I am not trying to slander Deavers name or cause problems for them. I am just stating the facts and asking if anybody else has had similiar problems with them

Jon Krellwitz

jimpat

Reaction
welcome to the club....
never count on the contingency pay offs.....
We won 3 MDR championsips and second last year in the class 8 SCORE .
Optima owes us 2 batteries.....
MSD and American wheels.........
KC highlites.....
Inland drive line ( cheaper to go somewhere else and pay retail than have them do it and deduct contingency award)
and many more....
nothing but promises.
The ones that paid promtly:
De Nunzio
Kreg Donohoe
Sign pro
Jeff Howe steering

never count on anything, till its in your hand
I have fought this problem for years, the deal is that in SCORE, the contingency donor blames Score ( or MDR ) for not sending in the paper work, Score and MDR blame the donor for not sending the awards.
Its back and forth and I just got tired of fighting it..now i just put a big X over the decal of the company that owes me....if every one did the same or united, it would make it so much easier.....
jim patelli

when everything is under control, you are going to slow!!!!!

hoeker

Reaction
msd, kc, and american racing are all very good in the corr series. they have great products and are great supporters of the series. i had a problem with one contingency sponsor last year and i know how frustrating it is, in time we worked it out, but they no longer support our series.

we have to remember to work with the contingency sponsors, and the sanctioning bodies to work this out. we need these sponsors, and not handling this properly can easily cause them to pull out. it is not that difficult to get the contact persons number and call just to ask why it's not working out. most likely they don't realize where the problem initiated, and want to work it out with you.

some contingency sponsors give a percentage off retail. none of us pay retail, so your right, it may not be a savings. generally i call the company and let them know why i'm not running their decal. they usually want everybody to be happy with their program, and will listen to suggestions.

what ever you do, remember we need these people to support our sport. cool heads and good conversation will help the sport, especially when problems arise. hot heads and sponsor bashing will cost us all. remember that even if their program isn't a super good deal for you, it may be for another racer, in another class, and at least the company is trying. maybe they need a little guidance to get the program better.

many contingency problems arise from improperly filled out forms (by the racer). first, make sure you did your part at the track and took care of the paperwork. Jim Conner does contingency for about 10 companies in CORR. he stresses this regularly, because he sees it every week. i see numerous cars on the track missing decals on one side of the vehicle, or none at all. this is our job, this is what they are paying for. i'm in no way saying you guys didn't qualify, but lots of people don't, yet they expect the prize. that isn't how it works

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.rosshoek.com>www.rosshoek.com</A>

Some are born great, some achieve greatness,
and some have greatness thrust upon them.

jimpat

Reaction
agreeing with everything you posted, Jim Connors has always been fair.
The problem is that in 2000, 2001 " I DID NOT" receive what was due to me.......The Excuse was: Patricia (MDR ) did not send me the proper paper work.
Patricia: I sent all the proper paper work, its Jim Connors fault.
the bottom line?
I got nothing.....
They blame each other...
just ask the guys that came in third or fifth on the SCORE series in 2002.....none got the Optima battery they were promised.
I phoned Optima, then Charlie at SCORE, same thing, they blamed each other. I lost 2 batteries and every guy that came in 3rd or 5th in the races after San Felipe lost out also.
We have to respect the contingency companies but not kiss their ass!!!
I always have the correct logos and what ever required at the start...it i loose a fender and the stickers on it during the race, its not a disqualifying point.
jp

when everything is under control, you are going to slow!!!!!<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1>Edited by jimpat on 02/05/03 01:17 PM (server time).</FONT></P>

curt

Reaction
We had excellent responses with Jim Conner Racing. Last year we won 4 times with VORRA and got product from KC, AR Wheeels, Mastercraft, and K&N. There was one glitch between VORRA and JCR but that was worked out within a month. From the time I sent in the certificates we had product in about 2 weeks. The only people who have never honored their contingency was MechanixWear. I would check out what other people say from other series and see if a pattern develops. It seems as if it might be the racing bodies who have the problem. Curt

VORRA Class 7

Kritter

Krittro Campbell
Reaction
I have seen my share of problems with Deaver recently, seeing that I am down there every other month getting springs, but the one thing I do have to say is that Erik is the best thing Deaver has. I went in today to pick up a new set of race springs that for some reason were not made 2 months ago as asked and Erik was bustin his ass to get them done for me...even when his lunch came and the guy helping him along with everybody else went and grubbed ass...he stayed there and banged them out. I think without Eric, there would be no more racing springs coming out of there, no more preps, nothing to do with dez racing...just the off the shelf standard issue prerunner springs and Edge springs. I appreciate Deaver a lot, but they can't bite the hand that has fed them so long and expect it to be OK!!! Seems like racers got outcasted like the red headedstep child!!! I just hope Deaver doesnt get in over there head and become another National spring!

Thanks again Erik for handling my springs and even loading them up for me.

Kris
<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.barneysprecision.com/fabproducts.htm> Fab Parts</A>

Donahoe

Reaction
Kritter, Just to let you know Jeff's little brother was in a bad Glamis crash on his bike about a month ago... he broke his back in a few spots and things are a little screwy over there right now.... But Never EVER question Deavers Commitment to the RACERS... Its number #1.... I get pallet loads of springs from Deaver everyday for the superduty stuff we do... And I have had to wait to get Jeff's attention becuse he was deep into a set of race springs...... Deaver is just going trough some growing pains right now. The real test will be how meny people will help them grow or FORGET ABOUT ALL THE HELP THEY GAVE THEM IN THE PAST......Give them a liitle time they will get Better... I have never met a group of guys that care more about there customers.

NEVER LIFT!!!!!

Kritter

Krittro Campbell
Reaction
I didn't know about that Kreg, but I do know that they always cared about their customers hence the reason I still go down there to get springs, but it has just been in the last 6 months to a year or so that things have started to change. Jeff is a great guy I never said he wasn't...I just said it seems the priority is not racers like it used to be... before all the "prerunner" and Edge springs.

Kris
<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.barneysprecision.com/fabproducts.htm> Fab Parts</A>

orvacian

Reaction
I have had two sets of Deaver springs; a prerunner pack and a set of 62's. I can honestly say that both sets of springs have far surpassed my expectations and performed flawlessly. Jeff and Eric are very cool people to deal with and Deaver is one of my favorite places to spend my hard earned money. They have always taken the time to talk about my setup and answer all my (sometimes stupid) questions. I don't want to make light of you guys issues, I just wanted to voice my opinion.

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1>Edited by orvacian on 02/06/03 08:04 PM (server time).</FONT></P>

drtdevil93

Reaction
thanks orvacian. i think jon made it clear that he wasnt bagging on us or anything. just a problem he had with us that he was concerned about. its okay to have conflicts time to time. as long as no one is a hothead about it, things get resolved. jon, if you have time call me tomorrow at the shop. i want to get the whole thing from you, im still a little confused about the whole thing.

erik

havahockey

Flipper
Reaction
I agree Aaron, Jeff really took care of me when I bought my 62" for my truck. I had been waiting for them for a few months and because of that he gave me a discount just because I had been waiting. Also when they gave me the wrong Ubolts for them Erik delivered them to me the next weekend at the Malibu Dan event.

Race-Dezert Anonymous - Step #1:
"Hello, my name is Jason. And I'm a Race-Dezertaholic."

Jkrell

Reaction
I didn't get a chance to call erik today...I will try tomorrow. We did get the chevy springs picked up today no problem though. Thanks erik....deaver definately pulled through for us.

Jon

Jack

Reaction
I don't want to give to much personal info, but Jeff has had several personnel tragedies in the past year, so with all that he has always done for racing, I would cut him a brake.

drtdevil93

Reaction
jon: we arent there tomorrow. ill be there on sunday pulling my truck apart, but i dont know what time exactly, and i dont answer the phones when we are closed.

erik

shrek

Reaction
Does anyone have an e-mail address for Jeff at Deaver. I have had several bad experiences with them and I would like to try to resolve them with him before I publicly brodcast them.

Matt

Racing isn't everything.............it's the only thing!!!

drtdevil93

Reaction
jeff doesnt have an email address that is available. i take care of all the internet stuff for him. you can email me with whatever problems or questions you have. just remember that jeff and i both work very hard, and dont take what we do lightly. we are also going through a lot of changes and a lot of expansion right now, and as much as we try to avoid problems, they do happen from time to time. also remember that i do all of the internet stuff voluntarily without pay, on my own time. i have no problem answering any questions, or helping out anyway i can, but things like your prices are too high, or your springs suck will quickly dead-end any help from me, and jeff backs me on things like that. just think about coming home from work and having customers give you crap. thats not cool.

erik

drtdevil93@aol.com

Jkrell

Reaction
people really email you with crap like that....what a joke.

i would hope people in our sport would be defined by a little more character than that. Having issues is one thing....being stupid is another.

Jon