deaver spring co 110 years old

drtdevil93

Reaction
deaver spring co. has now been in business for 110 years! hope i dont bore anyone, but id like to give a brief history of, as far as i know, the oldest still-running business in OC.

the shop opened as a blacksmith shop in 1892. they did general blacksmithing and spring work (for trophy horse buggies, stock mini horse buggies, etc.(jk)). it passed to Frank Deaver in the late teen's- early 20's, and somewhere around this time is when the shop moved to the current location. he got a large contract from ford for installing solid rubber tires on steel wheels, and was quite successful. the business then passed to Franks son, Don Deaver. Don preferred the blacksmithing part of the job, he wasnt greatly interested in the spring work, so he offered a job to Gary Crosby, his son in law, who had returned from Vietnam, and was looking for something to do with his life. Gary took the job, and handled all the spring work. Gary had been interested in hot rods, and drag racing and always catered to that industry. He later on took over the business, and brought in his son, Jeff Crosby, to help out. Jeff became interested in off road racing, and began to branch the business out into that direction, leading us to where we are today.
anyone that has not visited out shop, i invite to do so. we still use machinery from the 1920's (and some newer stuff), and are still in the original building. we have two machines powered by an overhead belt-drive, which were originally run by steam engines, now run by a much more modern electric motor (from the 30's i believe). much of our equipment customers come in and stare at, its pretty neat stuff.
a lot of people think we are just off road springs, but in actuality that is just one piece of the business. We still do muscle cars(our fastest leaf spring car went 10 secs. in the 1/4), antique cars (i had the pleasure of working on a late 1910's rolls-royce), and LOTS of work trucks and RV's. Thanks to all the loyal customers, distributors, and race teams for making us successful.

erik

1992f150

Reaction
right on, ive heard about those overhead belt powered machines.

Now how bout some discounted prices to celebrate??? =)

Azusa: shame of the foothills

Mike_HKmtrsprts

Reaction
I heard deaver is raising there prices by alot is this true or just a rumor?? congrats on 110 years

everyone thinks they are superman when the camera is pointed at them...untill they land!!!

MH20

Reaction
Thats pretty cool, I knew you guys have been around for a long time but I didnt know it was that long. And the shop is really interesting.

Erik, Im the guy with the black ranger that was up there the other day - you guys rock!

1993 Ford Ranger Supercab 4.0L 2WD

sirhk100

Reaction
If you get a chance can you check out my thread I started tonight in the shop section about leaf maintenance? It's basically asking if there's anything special to do to the leafs while I've got the pack apart to cycle the rear end to mount my shocks?

Khris

'92 Ford Exploder (work in progress)

drtdevil93

Reaction
raising our prices? there was a price raise done about 6 months ago. nothing since then. out of curiousity, who told you that? you can send me a private message about that.

what we did change is what we offer. the price increased, but now includes ubolts and bushings. but like i said that took place a while ago.

erik

Donahoe

Reaction
Ya know I have to say I have never met a person who stands behind there product as much as Gary and Jeff at Deaver Spring. Donahoe racing will always use and support Deaver.. They have always taken great care of us. Congates guys.

NEVER LIFT!!!!!

V8Ranger

Reaction
I had no idea the company was that old. I think it would be pretty cool if you guys tried to contact Huell Hauser and get him to film a show at your location. I think his show (California's Gold) airs 5 nights a week on KCET around 6:30. It would be a good way to get exposure to both Deaver and Desert Racing.

Tim

Reaction
I think part of the price raise controversy is because the tacoma prerunner pack was available for 400 dollars for a few years and now I "heard" that it went up to 600, so I hear. No idea if this is accurate, but I've heard some people talking about it. Tim
p.s. again this is here-say!! my money is going to deaver when I get a new leaf pack anyways...

Kritter

Krittro Campbell
Reaction
You get what you pay for! People who dont like the price, blame it on Adam Smith and his invisible hand. $600 is not a bad price either! Jeff is an awesome guy and he stands behind his product 110%. They are the best leaf springs by far.

Kris

havahockey

Flipper
Reaction
I think $600 for the Tacoma/Ranger prerunner packs is a little over priced. For the same price you can get the 62" Toyota pack. I have a lot of friends who wanted to buy the Tacoma pack when it was $400 but now that its priced $200 more they don't plan on getting it.

Crayfish

Reaction
If someone was to let $200 stop them from puting one of the most important pieces of suspension on their truck they deserve the unhappiness they will most likely get.

Buy the best, cry once

Deaver makes a great spring pack at any price.

sirhk100

Reaction
Seriously!!! If their not getting them cause they can get the 62" pack for about the same money cool but if they just aren't getting them because of the price increase that's pretty lame and they should probably evaluate the purpose of their truck. What are they going to do when they break something big if they can't even justify $200.

Khris

'92 Ford Exploder (work in progress)

Crayfish

Reaction
What would a tow truck charge to pull your truck out and tow it home after you snap a spring in the desert. Or how much damage is caused when the spring snaps behind the front eye and tears your U-joint and shock apart, more than $200 I think.

Just my opinion though

havahockey

Flipper
Reaction
To some people $200 doesn't come easy. I don't see the justification of raising the price 50%. Its the same exact spring, there aren't any changes to it so why raise the price? If they wanted to have the price be $600 they should of charged that in the first place, not a raise the price down the road. I know they sold a lot of those at $400 so its not like they aren't making money off it. So why not leave it at $400 and let more people enjoy their springs?

drtdevil93

Reaction
i cant get into the whole thing here as it is not my job to do any of this. i will say that it has to do with our distributors being able to make money off of selling our springs. in addition, it is normal for a company to sell a product for a discounted price in the beginning to get it out in the market, and to raise the price once it has caught. like kritter said, read Adam Smith, and it will make sense to you. as much as id like to paint pretty pictures for you all day, the true reason that deaver spring has been in business for 110 years is the same for any business that succeeds: making profit. we help out everyone as much as we can, but if we arent making profit, our doors must close.

erik

ps. just as i have always done, i will talk to jeff and gary about the matter.

Kritter

Krittro Campbell
Reaction
If you dont want to buy them from Deaver, buy them from a distributor who buys from deaver(Camburg, Kartek, Donahoe, etc..) in bulk and you canget a better deal. Kartek has them on special right now for $495. It doesnt matter to deaver if you actually buy them from Deaver because it all trickles back to them.

Kris

havahockey

Flipper
Reaction
I know all companies can't exist without profit, I know companies offer product at discount to get it into the market, I know Mr. Smith and all his theories. I know Deaver makes great springs ( I have 62" on my Tacoma) and that they are a great company. My point is that raising the price of the prerunner pack from $400 to $600 may end up hurting the sales of the pack.

As I said before $200 isn't chump change for everyone. I know personally of about 7 or 8 people who have told me they are no longer going to buy the spring because of the price increase. Is that going to hurt Deavers business? Probably not, but keeping it lower will have Deavers products on a lot more people's trucks. You can make a lot more money selling a product at a lower price selling it to more people then if you have a higher price and don't sell as much.

But back to the subject of the topic...Congrats to Deaver for 110 years of business! :)

1992f150

Reaction
its a bussiness decision...it may or may not bring them more profit (though it probably will). One thing that no one has mentioned, is other competitors. Insted of just going to deaver, alot of ppl will be calling up national spring, etc... to compare prices (me included).

Azusa: shame of the foothills