deavers and 62"

toyotaguy

Reaction
deavers and 62\"

ok I thought they were the same thing. But what is the difference between them. I thought deavers were a race pack and were the same exact thing but a different company. can someone help me out. I will be running then on a tacoma prerunner

looking for info on quality tacoma long travel.....any ideas?

Dillon

Reaction
Re: deavers and 62\"

Deaver makes different packs for different things. 62s aren't a Deaver-only thing, its just the thing you hear most often that they happen to make. On a Tacoma, Deaver makes a prerunner pack that bolts into stock location, 62s need a bunch of fab work to work (long long shocks, move hangars, new shackle, probably need a fuel cell, etc...)

havahockey

Flipper
Reaction
Re: deavers and 62"

There is also a pretty big difference in price between the two.

Deaver Prerunner Pack - Springs, Shocks, Shock hoop - $1500 + or -

Deaver 62' Springs - Springs, Shocks, Shock hoop, New front hanger, New rear shackle, spring perches, plus install of leafs - $2500 +.

Those prices are included with non bypass shocks and are only rough estimates, but you can get the idea between the price differences.

With the prerunner pack you'll get about 14" travel, with 62" Deaver you'll get 18"-20" depending how you set it up. MXC Motorsports set up my truck with a 13" shackle over the frame and it gets a clean 20". You can buy a shackle from Destroy Motorsports that based the length of their shackle off my truck as to get that same number of travel.

The difference between the two packs is pretty noticable, and if you are serious about making your truck a prerunner I would go with the 62" Deavers.

Race-Dezert Anonymous - Step #1:
"Hello, my name is Jason. And I'm a Race-Dezertaholic."

sirhk100

Reaction

Does the longer shackle really add travel? I'm having a hard time visualizing that. I would think eventually you'll hit a length where no matter how much more you go you won't get more travel. Doesn't the shackle just have to be long enough to allow the leaf to go from full natural droop to whatever the lenght and position is when it's completely flat? I'll be getting a Yota someday if I can ever get my Exploder fixed and sold and will be running 62" deavers w/bypasses in the rear. What length shocks are you running? 16" or 18"?

Khris

'92 Ford Exploder (AKA Dezert Limo cause it's loaded)

Kritter

Krittro Campbell
Reaction

Destroy shackle minus the cool iron cross! 12.25 inch on center

Kris
<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.barneysprecision.com/fabproducts.htm> Fab Parts</A>

Attachments

sirhk100

Reaction

That's cool, I'll do the "cool" iron cross on the CNC Plasma here at work!!! NOT!!!! I'm getting the springs and shackles ready to go already from a friend. I may redo the shackles though. Not sure, I'll see how it cycles when i get the truck and get them mounted. Funniest part is I'm buying parts for a truck that I might not have for months!!!!!

'92 Ford Exploder (AKA Dezert Limo cause it's loaded)

dirtydezracer

Reaction
Re: deavers and 62"

In response to the initial question, stock spring packs( on the pre taco yotas at least) are 54" in length whereas the deaver pack is 62" this accounts for an 8" difference in spring pack lengths. In order to compensate for this, one must move the mounting points. It s been a while but I believe I moved mine 3 inches forward and 5 inches back with the shackle(12") mounted above the frame. This was good for about 19 3/4" inches of travel. The shackle should point back at ride height. Any other questions you could call Eric or Jeff @ Deaver, they are really cool guys.I think they have a link on this site, if not they are in Santa Ana.

Drive vigorously, break, repair, repeat.

CRAIG_HALL

Reaction

So do you just have thier drawing or did you make them a drawing? Couldn't that cool half tube(sometimes a pain to do) be a bent angle? Of course you could always laser the tube in half with the cutouts on the ends

Kritter

Krittro Campbell
Reaction

A buddy asked me to make those and I always draw parts before I make them so it is not a "cut this here and then there and then weld it together" product and they can simply be reproduced wihtout any ambiguoties

Actually the cut tube is an utter waste of time but apparently it "looks cool". The problem is that not many fab shops, if any... have a big press...if they were my own design the edges of the flat stock would be 90 degree flanges and they would not have the 1/2 cut tubing as in the drawing (save material, time, and also reduce weight of finished piece if it was flanged)....also the inside boxing would be one piece of sheet metal...not 3 seperate pieces welded together. With a press and some ingenuity, not only would weight decrease on most fabbed components that are being produced, price would drop because welding time AND material would be reduced significantly....but what do i know...im not a manufacturing engineer, that would be Sirhk100's niche. Lean manufacturing would go a long way in shops and in the end bring the consumer a superior product at a lower price.

Khris...the iron cross comment was sarcastic!! If you want all the individual files put into dxf files I will do it and send it your way.

Kris
<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.barneysprecision.com/fabproducts.htm> Fab Parts</A>