Decresaing ball joint angle to increase travel?

geoff

Reaction
I have made a front end almost identical to the total chaos balljoint front for my 87 2wd toyota. Right now it cycles about 12" with the ball joints being the limiting factor in the movement of the arm.

The two options i was looking at were trying to make the upper a uniball type ($$$) like duffco i believe does. That would obviously eliminate the binding, but would be a pain in the ass for someone as lazy as myself.

The other option i was considering was to machine (i already made the shape just havent drilled the holes) a 1" piece of billet into a space between the upper arm and the upper ball joint. this spacer would decrease the severity of the angle in the upper ball joint and should work out... anyone ever do this before or have any ideas? Thanks...

Mathmatics is the language of nature.

DuffcoDan

Reaction
It is not a good idea to utilize a spacer on the ball joint. This will have an adverse effect on the camber curve and on the handling. As the suspension goes through the travel the top of tire would push out (positive camber). Ideally you don't want the camber curve to cycle pass positive, otherwise the tire is not in full contact with the ground. We have had good luck with modifying the stock spindle by adding material to the upright and then plating it in. This relaxes the angle on the upper ball joint and with some other adjusting give you more drop out and a proper camber curve.

geoff

Reaction
wow i guess i thought that it would be more of a constant arc (unchanged) becuase the path that the upper control arm follows is still an arc of the same radius as it was before the spacer.

well since youve done it, which works better a uniball at the top of a stock height spindle, or an extended height spindle with a balljoint? Or both....

thanks alot duffco.

Mathmatics is the language of nature.