desert buggy frame

1992f150

Reaction
Im going to be building a 2 seater vw rail/buggy soon for mostly desert play, but alittle sand too. I was wondering what peoples opinions are on different frames. Right now im looking at a chenowth 4LWD, but Im clueless on who else makes a reasonably priced frame (ie not a cromoly 12 car chassis). Also if possible id like to buy just a tack welded frame and weld it out myself to save some $$.
Thanks!
(here is a pic of the chenowth Im looking at, its about 900 bucks)

Azusa: shame of the foothills

singlehanded

Reaction
that things looks like fun. Id call mckenzies and kartek and ask them if they dont sell it they will know where to get it or what company makes it.

midnight landscaper working overtime and I'm full throttle I'm full throttle tonight

John Bitting

Administrator
Reaction
That is funny you posted that pic. Before I bought my blazer I wanted to build that exact car. Something about that picture makes that car look super fun and reliable.

slimjim

Reaction
that car can be super fun and reliable. i have a friend with a 4lwd. it has alot of off road time on it, and it's still in great shape. with a vw motor about 2200cc, it moves pretty good too. i think its a great car. you can build it with one kyb shock/wheel and cheap torsions, or make it a long travel beam car with some 930's and whatever big-dollar shocks you want. chenowth cars are great, and for use in both dirt and sand - on a budget, the 4lwd is almost unbeatable.

put on your seatbelt...

1992f150

Reaction
yes all the points everyone has mentioned I have also had the same thoughts, especially the sand thing, sure would be my truck at glamis. I really wish they would sell the frame just tack welded though, the savings would let my buy more goodies for it.

singlehanded

Reaction
I know vw mag has adds for tack welded frames in it not sure what kind thou.

midnight landscaper working overtime and I'm full throttle I'm full throttle tonight

Wayne_Nosala

Reaction
I inquired about that chassis a few years ago when I built
my buggy. Good chassis for the price, but the guys i talked
to at Chenowith didn't want to do any custom variations on the
frame (I wanted one with a longer wheelbase & wide torshin housing)

I ended up having my chassis custom built, My brother & I then copied it
for another one
You can check out the complete construction of the second one
at the following link with PICs, back in year 2000

http://extremebuggies.com/members/builders/2/stage1.asp
Wayne

Nosala.com

michael_loomis

Reaction
chenowth beam frames are one of the best ! look at the old one cars and how long they were competative , Herbst , Gordon , Fortin just to name a few .

curt

Reaction
Did you call them? In the real old days Chenowyth used to sell it 3 ways, welded, tacked, or just bent depending on what you wanted....I'd also get a Dusty Times and see if you can't buy a "retired" race chassis or whole car since its almost still between seasons and some race teams inevitably fold every year. It always looks cheaper to build it yourself but sometimes it works out to be cheaper to buy used or built by the time your done with it...Curt

VORRA Class 7

1992f150

Reaction
Yes I did call them and ask, was told no.
Wayne I was looking at your buggy in the readers rides section of that site, thnx for a better link of the buildup.
Also thanks for the advice on the dusty times I will look into that.

MNotary

Reaction
DEFINETLY, the only way to go is to buy a used race car. 10 times the bang for the buck...

Unless you are doing a "show car"....

1992f150

Reaction
I cant really afford a race car right now, and I also dont want/need some tweaked motor that likes to blow up. Maybe if I could find a rolling chassis at a good price.

MNotary

Reaction
Yea, no motor.... roller... There is no way you can do better, even building it yourself...

1992f150

Reaction
besides dusty times and RDZ classifieds, can you reccomend anywhere else to look?

Thanks.

Timberwlf

Reaction
1992f150,

Check your private messages

Later
Brandon

94 Ranger X-Cab 4x4 5.0 H.O. v-8 Pre-Runner/ Chase Truck

Tom

Reaction
Hey, if anybody has a hot tip on an older race car (vintage late 80s) with or without motor, please let me know. Any shape welcome. I have been looking for awhile

Thanks