• Forum membership has its advantages....

Desert racer charge with vin cloning & vehicle theft

NIKAL

Detectives determined Brandon McNeil of Lakeside was the mastermind behind selling the cloned cars in San Diego. McNeil and his family are well-known in San Diego’s and Baja’s off-road racing community.
NBC 7 Investigates learned this was not McNeil’s first run-in with the law. He and his brother Tyler McNeil were convicted in Arizona for running a similar operation. They sold salvaged cars for more than they were worth, according to court documents."

People Sell Stolen Cars Through 'Car Cloning': Detectives

Dezertpilot

Wow.....sad.

Shannon

Bear on a Unicycle
I know Brandon, TK, as well as the rest of the family.. I think you all need to sit back and let it all play out... I'm not here to say they did nothing wrong. The news is good at blowing things out of proportion..

Sent from the RDC Mobile App. Get it for your IOS device today

Dezertpilot

I know Brandon, TK, as well as the rest of the family.. I think you all need to sit back and let it all play out... I'm not here to say they did nothing wrong. The news is good at blowing things out of proportion..

True on the news part but that is one HELL of an accusation by the media/LEA's involved. Not like saying he was speeding.

Shannon

Bear on a Unicycle
True on the news part but that is one HELL of an accusation by the media/LEA's involved. Not like saying he was speeding.

I agree fully.. I was just saying .. Let it all play out.. For sure a bad deal

luis saenz

I have personally known the McNeil family since 1983 and know for a fact that Reece McNeil and sons,Perry Mneil and sons are the greatest people out there very honest and very hard working

Louie Saenz
El Paso, Tx

buckwild

"NBC 7 Investigates learned this was not McNeil’s first run-in with the law. He and his brother Tyler McNeil were convicted in Arizona for running a similar operation. They sold salvaged cars for more than they were worth, according to court documents"

JDDurfey

selling a "salvage car for more than it is worth" isn't a crime that I know of. Now, swapping VIN plates so a salvage car no longer is associated with the salvaged VIN is a crime. Or putting a salvage VIN on a stolen car so it can be resold is also a crime. This would be more difficult, because the first time a salvaged car is re-titled it must go in for a level 3 inspection in Arizona. Upon passing inspection the state issues a state ID number for the vehicle and the VIN is removed from the firewall and the state tag installed by the state run inspection station.

I dealt in wrecked cars for a brief time in Phoenix. We had people buy from us that we suspected were using the VINs to put on stolen and or other wrecked cars. Many of the cars we sold were wrecked rental cars and they all had clear titles no matter how bad they were wrecked because most rental car companies are self insured. So I could sell you a wrecked 3 month old car with a clear title that needed $5 grand to get it back on the road.