Desert Racers - A Band of Brothers

Reaction
I can't tell you just how many times over the years that being a Desert Racer has benefited me, away from the desert. I have on many occasions, because of my association with Desert Racing, found myself the recipient of the generosity of other Desert Racers. I have been on both sides of the equation, the giver and the receiver, of acts of kindness and friendship among strangers – bound only by our love of the desert and Desert Racing.

Just the other day, an old friend (almost a brother) that now lives in Oregon, was driving down Interstate 5, through San Clemente. He has been a little behind the Eight Ball the last few years since his development business in Baja folded. He was driving a beater truck that I bought him back in June and the timing belt broke and snapped the crank in half. He pushed it off the Freeway and into San Clemente, and gave me a call. I drove up to get him and we looked all around the area for a place to park the truck until other arrangements could be made. Everywhere within blocks had curbside parking restrictions or limits and we didn’t want to chance getting the truck impounded; only making his problems worse.

Half a block from where he had landed, I saw a Class 7 truck on the rack at a Muffler Shop – there was our solution, I thought. When I went into the shop office the walls were lined with race pictures, many of cars I knew and that belonged to friends.

I want to thank J.R. Stanley and his son Don of, Stanley’s Exhaust Tech, for helping out a fellow Desert Racer and letting us park the truck on their lot for a few days. I am sure many of you know them; J.R. raced and owned a ProTruck, and has raced in other classes over the years.

Thanks again to the Stanleys; and I will “pass it on”.

What have you experienced as a result of being a Desert Racer?

Fourstroker

Reaction
I have been on both ends of that stick many times. It is unbelievable what guys will do for you just because you share a love of desert racing.

Joser1726

Reaction
AMEN BROTHERS.... Desert racers are one big happy family!

richzajic

Reaction
Dezert Racers Rule.

Have you ever tried explaining dezert racing to a none racer ?

They just stare at you like you are Nuts.

Especially when you tell them how much fun it is to be in the middle of nowhere at night doing 100+ mph.

nimrod

KOOK!
Reaction
I got my second short bus for free from a desert racer and it was YOU!

Ramsey sent me a PM that he needed my address.....I was a little unsure but figured what the heck, he can't be a total axe murderer so I sent it to him.

A few weeks later a Matchbox short bus showed up in my mail box but here's the kicker, it was dropped off in the mail box by hand, it was clear that it had not been mailed.........I soon learned that it was from Ramsey. THANKS BROTHER!

You rock Ramsey and I hope that things get better for your friend!

The bus is my avatar over there on the left..........

Tipracer

Reaction
have recieved and pay foward all the time....I cant imagine NOT helping a fellow racer even if they are in the same class at the same race..

QurtysLyn

Reaction
Dezert Racers Rule.

Have you ever tried explaining dezert racing to a none racer ?

They just stare at you like you are Nuts.

Especially when you tell them how much fun it is to be in the middle of nowhere at night doing 100+ mph.

For those who understand, no explanation is necessary. For those who don't, none is possible. :D The looks we get from passer-bys on the freeway when we're towing the Class 9 on the open trailer are priceless.

Trying to explain how much racers help each other during the race is even harder. Some people just can't comprehend helping a competitor out. Winning cause the other guy broke just isn't the same. :D

A bunch of guys that race with us work at the Big O Tires near where I live, my car always gets taken there for State Inspection and Emissions Testing. I always know it is well taken care of.

Brandt_Anderson

"Rag Doll"
Reaction
I was just having this conversation with my brother at the SNORE 250. We haven't been racing for very long and have been blown away by how amazing the people are!

Brandt_Anderson

"Rag Doll"
Reaction
Speaking of Stanley's Exhaust Tech, there's no way we would have made it to, and won, the SNORE 250 if they hadn't gone above and beyond to get our truck finished last week! Thank you!

Reaction
Playing the Race Card - Desert Race Card, that is.

A few months ago we were having major root problems in the sewer lateral from the house to the main. I figured out that the problem was at the connection to the main, in the middle of the street. Two years ago, the City of Carlsbad "gave" us, the homeowners, ownership and responsibility for the lateral - even where it runs under city property. Thanks!

Well, I called the City, and they sent out a crew to clean out the main. I talked to the head guy when they arrived and got the standard answers and obligatory memo sheet explaining it was my problem.

Then I played the RACE Card and mentioned the name of my motor builder, Randy Cochran, who works as a mechanic at what is affectionately called "The Turd Farm" where these crews work out of.

Turns out the guy has a Sand Car and knows Randy, and wants to use him next time he does his motor. We get to talking Desert Racing and Buggies and the next thing you know is the crew is helping me solve my sewer problem.

Playing the Race Card, The Desert Race Card, that is, pays off again!

Let's here more stories about playing the Desert Race Card.

RFS Motorsports

Reaction
Being our first season with very little experience at hand, we were having a hard time this season. We started with 4 dnf's in a row because of issues we had with the truck. Our suspension was not dialed in, there were many issues with prep and the truck just would not make it through a race. We had the worst of luck and even worse was our prep. Then we met this guy online and all of that changed for us.

We met him on race dezert and he showed us all the tricks of the trade. He spent countless hours in Plaster City testing the truck and passing on his many years of experience in racing and prep. Before we new it our truck was dialed in. You guys have seen how this ibeam truck performs and it all is because of this individual. Right after he finished getting everything dialed in we went and won the Baja 500 on the first try ever. I was just hoping to finish it. Never in my mind did I think we could actually win it.

The great thing about this guy is that he has never once asked for anything. Matter of fact, he has even put out his own money a couple of times for parts that we have needed. I have even offered to give him money and he will not take it. There is very few people in the industry/world that shows their love and dedication for the sport like he does. He is a class act and his experience is incredible. Because of him we have become a competitor and a respected team. Thank you very much for all that you have done in making us a competitive team. YOU ARE A CLASS ACT RAMSEY!!!
Robert

Vtr_Racing

Reaction
I can proudly say its an honor to be part of the desert racing community. I am humbled at the generosity. Thanks for the reminder Ramsey.