Desert Racing in IV

lf1952

Reaction
I saw a post for the More McKenzie's race and was curious about how do races get approved. I think it is great that the high desert has races but I am wondering if there will ever be a real desert race in Imperial Valley. I guess I just miss the FUD races. I guess we nee the BLM people from Barstow to be transferred to El Centro.

Fourstroker

Reaction
What you really need is the people from the Ridgecrest Office transferred to El Centro

JDDurfey

Reaction
Why screw up Ridgecrest...
That's kind of what I was thinking. If you take a "good" officer from one area and put them in the other, who will fill the void? A complete tool most likely that won't be cooperative!

Reaction
I always see "IV" as "Isla Vista," rather than "Imperial Valley" and think "Fat Chance" 'cuz they can't even get a motocross track in Lompoc.

GlamisGurlie

goddess like
Reaction
I think the main problem is having enough entries to cover the high cost of putting a race on down there. You'd also have to charge a fairly heft entry fee and the usuals who race down there aren't going to want to do that most likely. Gone are the days of cheap racing :(

MikeAdams

Reaction
I thought that last IV race score did was great as a spectator. Not so sure all the dead cars that entered thought the same. I hope that wasn't the last.

Zac Reish

Reaction
what makes iv so expensive compared to other ca desert race areas.

NIKAL

Reaction
what makes iv so expensive compared to other ca desert race areas.
On the way home from the MORE race today we were just talking about this very thing. My understanding is the BLM event permit process is the same for all our CA deserts. Why is it an open desert race was possible in JV this weekend, but not possible or even affordable in the IV?

It can't be the BLM officers in that local office, as they all need to follow the same laws & requirements. If anything it should be easier in the Imperial Valley as the safety track record at FUD, MDR & the short lived Drive series never had any major accident related issues. Also D38 still holds races out of Plaster City and the desert is not closed. As of last year D38 also added UTV classes, so you can't say its a handle bar thing.

lf1952

Reaction
Mike, I appreciate if we have any racing in the U.S. but if we could have a long lap format in like the FUD races where you could spectate in different locations, like Plaster City was and like the Barstow is now, rather two corrals for spectating would be great. There are many CA and AZ people that are waiting for this to happen some day

nickybobby333

Reaction
My first race was the last FUD race before he passed when I was 13 or 14 on bike. My grandpa and dad used to run a 16 car in his series so I practically grew up in Plaster City watching the races. It was awesome camping along the pits in the middle of the desert, having the handle bar guys roaring off in the morning, and then gearing up and riding out to a remote location on Gypsum mine road or the trussels and watching the cars come by. If there is at least a similar set up out in IV, I am for sure there!

MikeAdams

Reaction
I nominate NIKAL for the voice of IV. How FUD could have such an active series boil down to nothing is painful. My fondest memories ever have happened because of events put on by that enigma. I wish I could help, I'm too busy surviving CA much less getting a race team together again.

Rocket 450

Reaction
I always see "IV" as "Isla Vista," rather than "Imperial Valley" and think "Fat Chance" 'cuz they can't even get a motocross track in Lompoc.

I think they overturned that. Hopefully it will be coming soon!!!! But theres always Zaca Station

dwasser

Reaction
I nominate NIKAL for the voice of IV. How FUD could have such an active series boil down to nothing is painful. My fondest memories ever have happened because of events put on by that enigma. I wish I could help, I'm too busy surviving CA much less getting a race team together again.
I agree. Maybe NIKAL can bring safe and affordable racing back to IV. He's got a lot of inside information on the whole thing.

MikeAdams

Reaction
I agree. Maybe NIKAL can bring safe and affordable racing back to IV. He's got a lot of inside information on the whole thing.
Sorry, I re-read that and I hope I didn't offend. I thought DRIVE was a super solid effort I just wish my car was done so I could of joined in on the fun..

coilover88

Reaction
So does anyone know the answer to this question?
Cost Recovery is more expensive in IV mainly because of the MOU with outside law enforcement. How the man hours incurred in the approval of the permit and the monitoring of the race are accounted for and tallied is up to the individual field office. The SRP subgroup had tried in vain in the past to get an audit of cost recovery fees and how they were assessed. Additionally, insurance varies from location to location based on any number of risk factors that insurers look at.

Want to make a difference? Get on the SRP subgroup. Apps are being taken as we speak.
Special Recreation Permit Subgroup, Desert Advisory Council, Bureau of Land Management California

Race Whore

Reaction
Agreed!