• Forum membership has its advantages....

Desert racing is officially returning to California. McKENZIE'S 300, June 6, Lucerne Valley, CA.

Wendell #527

We all hate speed zones. That MDR event really ruined it for the rest of us. I don’t think it’ll ever be like it was. I like MORE and I don’t want to go to transponders but I think you’d almost have to in order to stop it.

Jeffers909

My pit monitor always carries a radar gun and lets me know of any issues. This was a very long pit row (2 miles) which is difficult to monitor well. The good news is I am getting close to eliminating speed zones in main pit but we will have to move the cold and hot pits a little further off the course...BLM is actually talking about blading a pit lane with a berm 150' off the race course.

Jeffers909

There were more than several cars that were not just passing and getting back in the race line down pit road. They were just using a smoother line, period. Some were obvious to us as they had been prerunning those lines the day before over and pver and pver and we knew it would happen. There were also some cars, especially in class 10, that simply didn't obey the 50 mph rule throgh the pits the first time by. One was WAY over thge 50mph mark. Just wondered if there were any penalties passed out for this stuff?
Any speeding penalties are enforced by time held at Start/Finish the next lap. There were 2 vehicles in the afternoon heat the had "in race" time penalties at Start/Finish. First infraction is 30 seconds, and second infraction is 1 minute.

Wendell #527

Or a radar gun and a clipboard
With 2 miles of speed zone you’d teally need quite a few radar gunners out there. I think it would be great of Cody could work it out to have no speed zones. It wouldn’t bother me that much to have the pits further back.

Astro

The Radar gun was at the first power line crossing. Having the pits further back works for me. It would be cool to have the cars go by at race speed-more exciting for the guys stuck in the pits.

dhjeepgeek

I can tell you it was very difficult to run 50 MPH down that marked two track. The car just didn’t like it. 55 or 60 and the car would settle right down. (We tried this testing of course lol )My interpretation of the drivers meeting is the same as Bro , you can step out to pass if a car couldn’t maintain 50 mph. We had this happen and I can tell you it was very tough at 50 to move in & out of that deep groved Whooped out two track. We did our best to get back on the marked line as soon as we could but it did take a bit. Racing does funny things to the brain, thinking back if I just stayed behind him probably would have lost maybe 20 seconds.
I may have been the one you passed. I was doing what I was told in the drivers meeting and staying in the line. My car didnt like that speed in that line either. I may have said a choice word or two while I was getting tossed around and beign passed on the smooth line. Cody did an incredible job puttin on the race. Just that darn line was not the one I would have wanted him to use. I am just complaining. I did like the lower section between 28 and 29. That actually was a kick going up and over those little washes. The entire course was fun. Some rough areas and some smooth fast ones. Good time until it wasn't. And who ordered the wind. Wind was great on the course, but it sucked as much as it blew in the pits and camp.

Bro_Gill

Cody, how about an actual pit lane with speed limit and the race lane with no speed limit. If you are going into your pits, you turn off the race line immediately after the S/F line and travel at the pit speed to you pit and get pitted, then re-enter the pit lane until it ends where it re-enters the course? You cannot cut across the ground between the 2 and if you do, immeidiate DQ, applies next time by S/F. Have wondered why we haven't seen this years ago so that spectators in the pits can see cars at race speed rather than speed limits.

Ikaika

I have often wondered why there is no "dedicated" pit lane with a safe speed limit which is separate from the racing lane........

Jeffers909

Cody, how about an actual pit lane with speed limit and the race lane with no speed limit. If you are going into your pits, you turn off the race line immediately after the S/F line and travel at the pit speed to you pit and get pitted, then re-enter the pit lane until it ends where it re-enters the course? You cannot cut across the ground between the 2 and if you do, immeidiate DQ, applies next time by S/F. Have wondered why we haven't seen this years ago so that spectators in the pits can see cars at race speed rather than speed limits.
I did just that at the Barstow night race in 2016 I believe. Works well at outlet center. Lots of race teams complained that they couldn't take times as cars were too far away and going to fast, and then there was controversy about some cars using pit lane under the speed limit because it was actually faster then staying on the race course. So then I said if you were caught using the lane and not going into the pit you would receive a penalty... The joys of race promotion! LOL. lucky for you guys there are a few crazies like me who enjoy it.

jon coleman

Any speeding penalties are enforced by time held at Start/Finish the next lap. There were 2 vehicles in the afternoon heat the had "in race" time penalties at Start/Finish. First infraction is 30 seconds, and second infraction is 1 minute.
penalties are best implemented that way, Right away!!,nothing worse then thinking you won & Patricia says we " cut the coarse"( at plaster city??)and we were DQd', yup, good ole days

jon coleman

I did just that at the Barstow night race in 2016 I believe. Works well at outlet center. Lots of race teams complained that they couldn't take times as cars were too far away and going to fast, and then there was controversy about some cars using pit lane under the speed limit because it was actually faster then staying on the race course. So then I said if you were caught using the lane and not going into the pit you would receive a penalty... The joys of race promotion! LOL. lucky for you guys there are a few crazies like me who enjoy it.
race promoting looked easy to me, of course im talking about Fud....

Bro_Gill

I thinl it would have worked at Lucerne on this course as well. There was a pretty well defined 'Pit' road that ran along the pits away from the race course and all the Class 10 guys then wouldn't compain about how rough the ride was at 50mph on the race line!

Jeffers909

I would just need to come up with a clever way to make it defined....with all the greasewoods at Lucerne it's a little messy. I will have something new for September....Thanks for the feedback.

jon coleman

loop pit some how, you wanna stay on the track, great, if you have to pit, its a big sloooow loop, period, guys staying on race track go by by, if you gotta pit, you gotta pit.

off2desert

We were at the end of the 2-mile pit area and the only cars that obeyed the rules/speeds were the classes/cars that couldn't pull that speed through there.

mrmatt

Race teams complained??? 😆
Thank you for the hard work and a great series to compete in