Desert Racing Pioneer Stan Parnell Dies

Tony_Barraza

Reaction
It has been brought to our attention by Harold Nicks at Parker Pumper, that desert racing pioneer Stan Parnell passed away Saturday in Florida.

Parnell experienced failing health in recent years, however, the exact cause of death was not available at this time.

Stan Parnell, who's name and accomplishments have been the subject of several trivia questions here on RDC, is credited with developing the original "Parker Pumper" fresh air system in the 70's.

We thank him for his enthusiasm, and for his many contributions to the sport of desert off road racing.

Our thoughts and prayers go out to the family and friends of Stan Parnell.

Godspeed!

Parker Pumper Helmet Company
Tony Barraza Designworks

Tony B.

"Get Creative!"

Jimmy8

Reaction
I had the opportunity to meet Stan Parnell at his house about a year and a half ago. He amazed me and the 4 other guys I was with. His wife and him were sincerely nice and down to Earth people. They were full of stories of off road's past, and sincerely loved the sport and the people involved with it. Stan did so many things for the sport in the early years, and the off road community will be forever greatfull for that. The Beaver family's thoughts and prayers go out to all those close to the Parnells.

Trophy Truck #15
www.JimmyBeaver.com

G

Stan also used to help out Walt Lott at the HDRA races. He was the flagman at my very first race at Barstow back in 1981. Occasionally I would blow through a check point or stray off course too far and Stan would be there at the end of the lap with a red flag in his hand. He's just smile at you and stand in front of your car for a few minutes until he thought you had been penalized sufficiently. Then he'd give you a friendly wave and send you out for the next lap. He was a great guy who always supported the racers and always welcomed new people into our sport. He is truly an off road legend.

DMSRACE

Reaction
Stan was a real good guy....he will be missed greatly....DMS' thought and prayers are with his family.

Kevin

Racer

To live life half throttle would be a waste....

pciscott

Reaction
Stan had a great personality and when he spun a tail with his southern drawl everyone listened. Stan gave me my first ride in Greg Vaughn's class 5 race car in 1987 at the Mint 400. That guy could drive, after our first test session he said we just went 10 miles and you didn't say a word. I was speechless and that is when I fell in love with the speed of a desert race car. Godspeed Stan and our thoughts and prayers are with you Joyce.

God Bless America

Scott Steinberger Trophy Truck #7

Vtr_Racing

Reaction
Very sad news. Stan was a great guy and will be greatly missed. The off road community will surly miss him. My prayers go out to his family.......

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.socalmotocross.com/vtrracing//>Vtr Racing.com</A>

Sumthngfun

Reaction
Stan played a large part in starting a monthly publication called "Checkpoint Magazine"with my parents in the early 70's. This magazine soon became "Score News"...... And so it all began.......

I'm sure he followed it all through to the end.

Say hi to M & T Stan!

rdc

- users no longer part of the rdc family -
Reaction
MY DEEPEST SYMPATHY'S TO JOYCE I GREW UP AROUND STAN HE WAS ALWAYS A GREAT GUY ALWAYS WILLING TO ANSWER QUESTIONS HE GAVE ME A FEW RIDE IN THE CLASS 5 CAR ALSO HE AND MY GRANDFATHER (WALT LOTT) WERE REAL GOOD FREINDS I KNOW THIS MUCH STAN IS IN A BETTER PLACE AND YOU AND MY GRANDFATHER DONT GET INTO TO MUCH TROUBLE UP THERE STAN WILL BE TRULY MISSED I CAN HERE THOSE STORIES NOW

LUCAS

rdc

- users no longer part of the rdc family -
Reaction
TONY IS THERE ANY WAY I CAN GET AN ADRESS FOR JOYCE MY GRANDMOTHER WOULD LIKE TO TALK TO HER IN SOME WAY SHE HAS BEEN TRYING TO GET AHOLD OF THEM FOR MONTHS