Design Advice – Class 12 Stroller

Erik Irvine

RDC Crypto
Website
www.FinishLineWELD.com
Hey guyz, been throwing around a plan for building a stroller for my kid, who’s coming into the world April 2014. Thought I’d share my thoughts here and get some input, because the collective experience here phenomenal.

Plan to build a 1/3 or ½ scale car around a Simpson racing car seat or something similar, replica of my Lothringer SS 12 car, graphics and all. My thought was to build it as light as possible, with the hopes to convert it to a pedal cart when the kid gets a little older or maybe battery powered.

Here are my thoughts for a ½ scale car:

Chassis – ¾ in. dia. 0.045 tube with ½ dia. 0.035 tube for lacing
Suspension – ¾ in. dia. 0.045 tube, for now no movement,
Steering – TBD, probably a handle out the back for me to steer for now, add a working steering wheel later
Tires – TBD, but most likely a light weight narrow golf cart tire, around 15-16 dia.
Aluminum panels/skid plates – 10 gauge aluminum, riveted directly to chassis to avoid weight/complexity of fasteners

Want to make the roof/cab pivot to make convertible if the baby doesn’t want a roof, or to put the baby in, but when parked will look like the real thing
Engine cage and transmission area will be empty for now, may make alum panels and use for storage. Hoping to keep costs below $1,000. Plan to do all work myself

If I come up with a good design, and it seems like it will be functional, I'll make sure to post pics of the build.

Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_8288.png
    IMG_8288.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 638
  • chassis.jpg
    chassis.jpg
    229.7 KB · Views: 1,453
  • seat.jpg
    seat.jpg
    15 KB · Views: 4,273

KillinTime

RDC Crypto
Congratulations! I too have been thinking about building a wagon for my son who is now just over a year old.
I was planning on putting a pedal car pre-runner body on a red wagon and have it painted to match my race truck. I did not plan on having a lot of tubing though to keep weight down and be as kid friendly as possible. Of course either the hood or rearmost bed area would house a cooler. Shocks were going to be mountain bike shocks or air struts like on a hood or truck cap but I'd like to have something I could adjust with nitrogen. I've also heard people using atv shocks.

I think 1/3 scale might be closer to being functional. I'd like to keep mine narrow enough so I can fit it though the side door of my enclosed trailer. I think when they get so big most people put some type of assist motor on it to help out.

DesertGuy1

RDC Crypto
Must be your first kid...

Start building immediately, if that is your plan - that kid will come popping out before you know it. A year or two will fly by and you don't want to still be building 'their stroller' when they are heading to college.

If you do build it, chances are it will only get used once or twice before it becomes a dust collector. Having a 'real stroller' that breaks down easy, lightweight, maneuverable will ultimately be the preferred travel... the 'breaks down' part being very important.

Congrats on the mini me

M.Harvey1600

RDC Crypto
I think this is the best stroller ever created.

ImageUploadedByrace-deZert1382154300.741622.jpg

ImageUploadedByrace-deZert1382154326.613554.jpg

ImageUploadedByrace-deZert1382154284.796332.jpg

Sent from the RDC Mobile App. Get it for your IOS device today

M.Harvey1600

RDC Crypto
Erik contact Brian Freeman about the stroller either he built it or Bruce Fraley did I believe .

Bruce Fraley built it. Exact replica of Bryan's class 12

Sent from the RDC Mobile App. Get it for your IOS device today

CentralWAbaja

RDC Crypto
Must be your first kid...

Start building immediately, if that is your plan - that kid will come popping out before you know it. A year or two will fly by and you don't want to still be building 'their stroller' when they are heading to college.

If you do build it, chances are it will only get used once or twice before it becomes a dust collector. Having a 'real stroller' that breaks down easy, lightweight, maneuverable will ultimately be the preferred travel... the 'breaks down' part being very important.

Congrats on the mini me

He might have a point....

I say make the thing so that it can house a gas grill in the engin bay, and a beverage cooler in the drivers compartment. Think long term use here.

Here is the bed I made for the "Kid" that will make the graphics for this 12 car stroller of yours... lol
anooc2.jpg

And the reason why we do this stuff

2z3uv0j.jpg

Yes I made him sleep on it til he was about 6, his head on a pillow resting on the trunk and his feet hanging over the hood.

And yes it still sits in the corner of the garage collecting dust, witing for me to have a man-cave someday to hang the thing from the celing of... haha