Design Question; I beams and radius arms

that_slow_5.3

Reaction
Hey guys, my friend and I are building a I beamed ranger in our garage. Right now we are getting stuck on how to do the beams. We’re in high school so buying a beam set is out of the picture. Do you guys have any tips/ tricks that could help us get some beams made up? Right now we have a engine cage with 14” kings coil overs and unequal beam stock mounts. We would not be opposed to doing equal length if we could also get some help with placement/ brackets. Thanks guys!

Reaction
There are literally 100's of threads about the exact thing. Search back through the Ranger builds and you will get an amazing amount of information.
However... The skinny is: You need beams off a 89 or older ranger/ f150. Buy the 4x4 beams off a f150/bronco 95 and older. trust me it will be better to have some dana 44. OR... if you can get your hands on some king pin beams off a 86 or older Econoline van or F-100. Now there are some equal length kingpin beams out there but you will need to search.
NOW, once you got your beams (DO NO USE THE ONES THAT SAY "DO NOT WELD BEND" ON THEM!!!) go ahead and cut them just after the bolt that holds the radius arm and extend them to what you want. The Mcneil Beams on my buddy explorer have held up over 18 years and they are mounted straight down from the frame rails.
If you dont have the fab skills or the tools to build a solid setup please dont hack some beams up and catipillar weld them together. You will only hurt your self or others.
If you want to keep them unequal length...IE easiest setup... Just cut the beams on the SPINDLE side of the bolt for the radius arms and extend +4 or +5 in.
You also need to extend your radius arms

Reaction
But if you have the chance/time, go for it!!!
Every single race shop, top Fab guy, expert fabrication school started in a garage somewhere with dreams of being something bigger!
There are many knowledgeable people on here who are happy to give you guidance...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk