design your own 4-link in 4wheel & offroad

hoeker

Reaction
for those of you interested in the why's and hows of a custom 4-link you may want to check out the june, july issues of petersens 4 wheel & off road. not desert racing based, but they give credit to mostly desert truck builders for the info they printed. the july issue is pretty step by step on coming up with the concept for your vehicle. not sure if it's on the web.

www.rosshoek.com

partybarge_pilot

Reaction
Good article! Just remeber, there pivot point formula may not work for everyone. It all depends on how much power/wieght you have......

Crashbig

Reaction
Just got mine and it answered a ton of questions, I would pick it up if your thinking of linking, add it to the list of required reading in my book.

gary

Reaction
any one got any opinions on a 1:1 type 3 link, like this one? seems like it'd be easier to get the geometry right...not really more travel than 62s on a yota, but more adjustable, it seems (spring rates, ride height)

more pics at:
http://ts2fabrication.com/anthony.html

michael_loomis

Reaction
ok this might sound kinda stupid , but ive got to ask . I always assumed that the little coil at the top is a 3rd spring with an obvious LIGHT capacity. Am I right or have i just never looked close enough ? secondly , if it IS a 3rd spring , what is the actual point of it , if its fully compressed at ride height ?

i just noticed the electrical tape holding on the resi's .... has Austin been workin on this thing !!

DESERTTOOL

Reaction
OK I haven’t seen the article yet, so I don’t know what info they put in it, but I’ll tell you this……There is a lot more to designing a proper 3 and/or 4 link than just finding a place to mount it. In a nut shell here are a few items that you need to know…….overall weight of the truck, front axle weight, rear axle weight, center of gravity of the truck, wheel base, tire size, angle of lower arms, height of the front pivot of the lower arm, height of the rear pivot of the lower arm, angle of upper arms, height of the front pivot of the upper arm, height of the rear pivot of the upper arm, the relation of the lower and upper front pivots to each other, the relation of the lower and upper rear pivots to each other, width of the upper arm at the pivots, the side angles of all links, squat or anti-squat percentages, if there are any rear steer problems with your design, induced weight transfers due to acceleration, weights due to anti-squat effects, and lets not forget about brake hop effects due to arm lengths.

As to the question of the third spring on the coil over…….it is only used to keep the other 2 springs “seated” at full droop, it does nothing for the wheel rate of the rear suspension.

Donahoe

Reaction
Read the artical. Look at the sources....Some good people put alot of time in that artical.

toddz

Reaction
Good people including Kreg :). That article is definitely a keeper. I've never seen more link information packed into one article. If you combine the knowledge of Kreg, Jon Nelson, and Randy Anderson into 5-6 pages, you know it'll be good.

My $0.02,
Todd Z.

Donahoe

Reaction
Dylan Evans Did Like 90% of the feedback and drawing for the artical.