destroking a SBC 283 engine

old283guy

Reaction
I am an old guy who loves 283 engines. and T buckets. Still have my '23T Gasser from 1965 when I was 18 and hot into cars and racing at good old Cayuga(Kohler)Dragway in Southern Ontario. Got a 488BBC in it now but want to restore it with another 283. There in lies my problem Finding a good 283 that does not have to be bored is impossible 'SO' what I'm looking for is a destroked 283 crank to put in a .030 bored block and still maintain 283 cu. in. which is critical for my set up. So the big question is: where do I find such a destroked crank? does anyone have an old one laying around? Who can do one for me? I could have a steel 283 crank destroked and use smaller journals than the 2" like in some of the Nascar engines which use 1.88" journals???? yes-no??? Then use a longer H beam rod which would give me a better rod/stroke ratio and cut side wall thrust therefore allowing a slight higher RPM yet. I am using a front drive 4-71 blower new T bucket pics 016.JPGnew T bucket pics 017.JPGnew T bucket pics 011.JPG1927 T drfiving at yard.jpg which is right direct on the nose of the crank and therefore cannot be over driven. My blower adapter has the distributor mounted at the front of engine on my very unique blower mount/adapter. This will throw you,,, my in and out box was on that adapter to start with on a boat and I put it at the back to give me a reverse gear and not have to run altered. I have another car with a 400SBC bored to 416 and running a V6-71 in front BUT I want to restore my old '23T, old mans stubbornness. It still has a '58 Olds 9.3" Statiom Wagon narrowed rear end, cut-pinned+welded axles, 4"dropped cae axle, vw torsion bar suspension, Anglia spindles and 5 spoke spindle mount wheels! I love 4-71s and 6-71s more now cause I AM now 71..... HA. I obviously need help and would appreciate any and all info/help anyone can render me. I just signed up for this blog tonite in desperation to see what info I can garner. Thanks and happy rodding brothers

scottm

Reaction
Scat cranks will custom grind a crank for you, but it won't be cheap. Another option would be sleeving the block to get back to stock bore. Lastly you could offset grind a stock crank for reduced stroke, then use rods with a smaller big end, like the honda journal size. If you do reduce the stroke, you will need either custom length rods or custom pistons with a unique compression height. JE pistons will make you any compression height you want for a lot less than anyone will make custom rods for.

brad inch

Reaction
i wonder if sleeving the block would be the cheapest way and you would have new bores.do you need to keep it 283 for a class?