Dick Dahn heads to the track in the sky.

TROPHYSEDAN

Reaction
Dick Dahn was one of the pioneers of Off Road racing. He passed away on Thursday around noon.
He starting racing in the Santa Ana river bed in raced Class 3 and Class 4 along with building tracks for HDRA, Walt Lott at Glen Helen. and SCORE with Mickey Thompson at Riverside. up tell the CORR tracks. He also raced for Brian Chachua and T&Js off road. Dick also raced for Brian in 79 Londen To Sydney Rally for the USA team in a Jeep. He has more miles going around the tracks on a Blade or any equipment then anyone i know. Know hes up there with Mickey and Walt building a track
God Speed uncle Dick.

Bill

Carlos Danger
Reaction
sorry to hear about Dick.he was a great person. R.I.P.

MALABANAN

Reaction
What a great life he led. It must have been amazing to contribute to our sport as he did. God Bless him.

Old School 8

Reaction
I remeber Dick. He was at all the HDRA races and Riverside. I think I met him at the Phoenix HDRA "Orange Crush Classic" short course race, in the early 80's. He always went out of his way to come by and say Hello. RIP

BajaRun

Reaction
I'm very sad to hear this news about such a great man. I always loved to sit and listen to his storys about the old days of offroad racing with Mickey Thompson and James "Rockford" Garner. Dick knew anybody and everybody in the sport. He was a very kind man and his wife Shirley was an even kinder lady !!! Dick was the hardest working man I have ever met, and he always seemed the happiest when he was on top of that loader moving dirt or cruising around with Shirley and his dog "Needles"

R.I.P Uncle Dick you will be missed !!!

BobBower

Reaction
Does anyone have any information about services? When? Where?
BB

TROPHYSEDAN

Reaction
Uncle Dicks service will be next Friday at 1pm in Victorville at the Victorville cematery. then he will be laid to rest with aunt Shirly. If all goes well a part of him will take one last ride with the boys in Plaster city on Saturday.

IGOBAJA2

Reaction
Sad news. I have been looking for Dick at some of the races to catch up on good times. Raced with him,prerun with him,stayed with Dick and Shirley at the gates house numerous times. Remembering his London to Sydney stories. Those who heard them would know of the Opera House steps story. One great, respected off road pioneer.RIP Dick. Ok Paul P. were are you?

Vtr_Racing

Reaction
Dick was around in the very beginnings. He was THE "Doctor of Dirt"! RIP. Prayers go out to his friends and family.
Thanks for posting Dennis.

Jack

Reaction
I will definetlly miss his stories and all the knolegable help that he always had. For me this is the last of the old timers that I know.
End of an era, so many things have changed over the 15 years I have een here, I hope that we can be as insprational to the next gernerations as Dick and many others have been to us.

Gadzooks2

Reaction
Dick Dahn was larger than life to me. It was Dick, Tom Barnett, John Zahn and Gene Jacobsen that made my introduction to Off Road racing a defining time in my life.
Anyone that ever met Dick will always remember him as a fantastic story teller with a mesmerizing personality. There are so many memories of racing with Dick and the T&J's guys from Mexico, Barstow, Parker and especially my last memory a couple years ago.

I was sitting at a pit and saw a class 11 car pull in and this great big guy poured out of the co-driver side and he was a real old timer :eek: so I walked over and damn if it wasn't Dick Dahn! He came over to our pit and sat and told stories and for an hour kept trying to convince me how great a ride and how fast the 11 car was. Compared to some of the old class 3 rides Dick used to race he may well have been right.

The great thing about it was here he was in his 70's and talking about the car like a kid that had just had his first ride. Dick taught me two things that I will never forget, one is never give up, or quit and the other is that Racing is really about friends and family more than anything else.

My heart goes out to Dennis and his entire family and I so hope when my number is up Dick and Shirley and Tom and Gene are all there to share some more memories.
RIP Dick.

Last edited:

HDRA1

The Godfather
Reaction
dick was a great man and a pillar in the sport i can only imagine what kind of course dick walt and mickey will be working on over a few beers

godspeed R.I.P

Bill

Carlos Danger
Reaction
I got to work with Dick and Robert Henderson on the AV CORR track and he hurt himself one day and still didn`t stop working on it.Dick was an awesome guy and really had a passion for off-road racing.

dIRtY gIRL

Reaction
Over the last 4 years, i have gotten the privilege of getting to know Dick, as my best friend is his granddaughter Heather... from the second i met him, he hugged me and treated me like one of his own... he was my Grandpa... I had a special place in his heart, as did many of heathers friends throughout the years... he was one of the kindest and funniest men ive ever met... he told it like it was... and man did he love flirtin with the ladies ;) he loved this sport and he loved what he contributed to it... the first thing out of his mouth every time he saw me, was a question about the last race, or the next race, and if i was going... if id heard about so and so and how awesome so and so did... spending time with grandpa and listening to the old baja days never got old... there was always a new story and something to laugh about... hanging out with him at the CORR tracks was always a good time... he was sharp as a tack and always on the go... when he became sick this january, it was a heart breaking blow... we never would have thought Dick was going to leave us so soon... but instead of worrying about the cancer or worrying about the future, all he could think about was when he could get back out to the track, back on a dozer, back to a race... it was in his blood... we took Dick out the the last MORE race and the entire family made the trip out to watch his cousins, nephews, grandson, etc. race... Dick sat there and watched every lap of the race... he knew who was leading in every class, who was losing, and where we stood... he barely paid attention to us... lol... he didnt care, he sees us all the time, he was there to watch a race... it was also the first race his new grandson-in-law attended with the family... it was a priceless day... and unfortunately the last off road race Dick would be able to attend... i feel very privileged to have shared it with him... his heart was in off road and he will be greatly missed in the community... and Needles will miss her days at the track too :)
... Hope to see some of you Friday at the service...

... God Speed and RIP Grandpa...

TROPHYSEDAN

Reaction
Uncle Dicks service is Friday at 1 pm at
Desert view funeral home
11478 Armagosa rd
Victor ville Ca 92392

Warren you got mail from Paul P

Baja Big Dog

Reaction
Well, we said good bye to Uncle Dick today, great service, not sure the minister was ready for what he got into, and needless to say, Dick didnt have a regular precher type guy!!

They had to cut off the people that wanted to talk about him...Most of us went just make sure he wasnt telling another story...loved the old fart, we will miss you!!!

Old School 8

Reaction
Can you post / scan, a picture or two of Dick ? It has been a long time since I last saw him.

IGOBAJA2

Reaction
Hey Mike, I'm working on that. I have a press release from the celeberty jeeps I built in 78. I will scan and post. You should have made the trip out. Dick had so much love and respect from his immediate family, extended family and friends. He understood off road comradery. A lesson that can be learned today. Great family, Great service.....

IGOBAJA2

Reaction
Yeh-camaraderie thats what I meant. Seems like in short supply sometimes.