Did a broke kid from Pahrump just solve the 4 Wheel Drive Trophy Truck Reliability problem?

Reaction
Did a broke kid from Pahrump just solve the 4 Wheel Drive Trophy Truck Reliability problem?

This is going to be fun to watch! That's what I love about this culture, you have guys in their garages solving problems with no resources. Off-Road is punk rock!

Check out Robby Woods new Battleborn engineering: D9 Transfercase

This one is going into Jesse Jones new 4 Wheel Geiser drive trophy truck.

Battleborn_engineering_D9_Transfercase_01.JPG
Battleborn_engineering_D9_Transfercase.JPG
Battleborn_engineering_D9_Transfercase_02.JPG
Battleborn_engineering_D9_Transfercase_05.JPG

Battleborn_engineering_D9_Transfercase_04.JPG
Battleborn_engineering_D9_Transfercase_03.JPG

Battleborn_engineering_D9_Transfercase_06.JPG

BANNED4LIFE

Reaction
he wont be broke anymore if he can fix this.....and all the other front drive issues......

retroblazer

Reaction
I see relatively thin gears and a thick housing. Where’s the rest of the stuff? Is their a diff or something to split the power between the front and rear?

Sent from my iPhone using race-deZert

Dave_G

Reaction
I always get a laugh when someone try's to reinvent the wheel. We built the Herbst transfer cases 19 years ago for the 4x4 trophy truck and they worked flawlessly. They had an electric clutch so they stopped driving the front wheels when the speed sensors saw the front and rear driveshaft speeds close to the same and engaged the clutch when they didn't.

But good for this guy on making some money. ;-)
Tcase1.jpg
tcaseparts.jpg

Attachments

Dezertpilot

Reaction
How does this differ between what Weissman, Fortin, etc put out?

pdailey

Racer
Reaction
I always get a laugh when someone try's to reinvent the wheel. We built the Herbst transfer cases 19 years ago for the 4x4 trophy truck and they worked flawlessly. They had an electric clutch so they stopped driving the front wheels when the speed sensors saw the front and rear driveshaft speeds close to the same and engaged the clutch when they didn't.

But good for this guy on making some money. ;-)
View attachment 190436 View attachment 190437
How do you think that T-case would hold up in today’s TT’s with the courses being rougher, bigger tires, more horsepower?

Dave_G

Reaction
Actually just fine. The T case was never the problem. The real problem was the lack of wheel travel and the CV joints not being strong enough. Also the steering angles were limited and it got even worse when the suspension went to full compression or full droop. They made it work but by today's standards of wheel travel it would not be able to compete. I think the front had a whole whopping 16" of travel or something like that while the rear had 22".

BigBlue&Goldie

Reaction
Sweet click bait title with a couple of pictures and zero content as to why this has solved 4x4 problems.......will this be on Huffington Post as well? Also, Robby Woods is pretty established, he's no longer some "broke kid".

Dave_G

Reaction
Props to Herbst and their team - they were pioneers!
Yes they were. Mike Smith was (and is) always thinking outside the box and looking for the better mouse trap. (Think Landshark...) We were really privileged to be a part of those adventures for the last 20 years and still enjoy working with them.

Dave_G

Reaction
To be honest, having the front wheels drive doesn't really come into play until you're doing 100+ mph on a dry lake bed. During testing it was noted that the aerodynamics of the Trophy Trucks was total shiat and they start to get light at those speeds and the rear wheels lose traction. Driving the front wheels added about 12 to 15 mph to the top speed. Was it worth it? History tells the story...:confused: At least that's to the best to my shattered memory.

Dirty Harry

Reaction
To be honest, having the front wheels drive doesn't really come into play until you're doing 100+ mph on a dry lake bed.
I would think doing 100 mph is the last place 4WD is a big advantage in desert racing. But if you can pull harder out of every corner and you don’t need to change the rear tires every 200 miles that could be advantageous.

Dave_G

Reaction
I would think doing 100 mph is the last place 4WD is a big advantage in desert racing. But if you can pull harder out of every corner and you don’t need to change the rear tires every 200 miles that could be advantageous.
When the difference of a win and 2nd place is now literally within seconds or minutes, I'd disagree.;)

Slippery P

Reaction
Not taking anything away from Robby Woods, because it is bad ass! And I have a lot of respect for what he does. But the problem is NOT the T-case. So the title of this thread is a bit misleading.
That being said, once the drive train issues are no longer an issue Jesse will be unstoppable.

Last edited:

Slippery P

Reaction
When the difference of a win and 2nd place is now literally within seconds or minutes, I'd disagree.;)
Dave I respect your opinion greatly but now days corner to corner speed is huge.

Reaction
I rode in the new Team C Mason 4 wheel drive truck with Ricky Johnson and it was mind bending! Dave - it's all about speed out of corners. The only things I can compare it to is a pro-4 or and open rally car. Whoever figures out 4 Wheel drive first is going to dominate. Pretty exciting to watch this evolution happen.

A few years ago I rode with David Higgins at a rally test and that was the most incredible ride I have had. I couldn't process what was happening fast enough. The ride with Ricky in the Mason truck was the same. For the next week I kept thinking about it just going....wow...that was amazing!

J Prich

Reaction
When you’ve got half a dozen or more 2WD TTs that are all capable of running 130-140, it’s hard for my limited capacity brain to imagine that max top speed is going to win the day. It seems rational to me that the difference maker is speed in other places...corner to corner, etc as noted.

Happy to concede that you’re infinitely smarter than I am with this stuff but it doesn’t seem like top speed in a drag race is really the key to success these days.

Honda48X

Reaction
Top speed is not a big deal. It’s how fast can you get from 0 to 70 without spinning tires. That is why 4 wheel drive will start to win more and more races.

BANNED4LIFE

Reaction
4wd BIGGEST advantage is QUALIFYING....just wait till one of the "A" guys gets one and starts first EVERYTIME.....then you guys will get it...