Diesel Brothers Return to Discovery Channel with The Mint 400!

Reaction
Diesel Brothers Return to Discovery Channel with The Mint 400!

“DIESEL BROTHERS” RETURNS TO DISCOVERY CHANNEL

diesel-brothers-season-4.png

Series Premieres Monday, September 4th at 9 PM ET/PT

Diesel Brothers Return to Discovery Channel w/ The Mint 400 - race-deZert.com

trentk

Reaction
Cool to see off road racing getting some more mainstream coverage, the premise for the show was doomed to fail which was sad to see. 1 week to build a truck and then try to race it with 0.0 test miles?

ehall

Reaction
Test miles? Didn't even have time to cycle the suspension. Lol. Lots of publicity. Cool retro looking truck too.

ehall

Reaction
The suspension had more travel than the driveshaft. Rookie mistake. ( for me it was the brake line) They should of hired a consultant to give them some help.

biggjim

Reaction
I dont think the truck was built in a week....from what I read on it back at mint time was the truck was almost completed and they finished up a few things.

Dirty Harry

Reaction
They show doesn't appeal to me personally but I guess the exposure is good for desert racing. Like TrentK said it would have been nice if they took the racing seriously but maybe properly preparing for a race doesn't create enough drama for a reality show.

dan200

#BSF200
Reaction
Obviously trying to redo suspension, swap motors, and paint a truck (and whatever else they had to do) was quite a bit to try and accomplish in the short amount of time they had. Its my understanding that even though this was a "reality show" that the time frame was pretty accurate and that it was like a week to go from a roller to the starting line.

The original guy who built that truck "Uncle Donny" is a pretty legit dude. I met him a few months before they made this episode. I was happy to see that the producers didn't make him look like a goof or dummy on the show. Donny's cool. Just a regular guy like any of us. You could tell he wasn't really into being a TV star and that the cutting up of his dream truck wasnt exactly what he wanted to see happen.

I was at main near these guys pit most of the day and hung back watching them and eventually went over and introduced myself and told them that myself and the giant inventory of the SDHQ vendor trailer was nearby and available to them. Their track side effort to get that thing to at least be able to do a lap was tremendous. I sorted out some safety equipment they needed, helped them hunt for yokes and a drive shaft and gave them some grade 8 hardware.

I was glad to see that on the show they mentioned that there were total strangers from the desert racing community who sacrificed their own time and parts and knowledge to get these guys onto the track. They could have easily edited that out and made it look like it was all them but they did not. Instead they made our community rightfully look helpful, giving and even heroic.

Sure they failed at the racing part. If I recall correctly they never made it very far once they got the truck back on the track. But who cares? I've seen fantastically more experienced racers give up fairly easy but these dudes really did put in a solid effort to try and save their race that weekend. Was it all for TV/ Maybe but, it seemed to me they really wanted to race (even if it was just for a lap.)

There were a few ways that our "community" and the event could have been portrayed and I am thankful for the way this race, racing and the race community ended up looking on television. I am sure the fantastic popularity of their television series and the positive light it put on our sport can net our little world some gains with this global exposure. And I also hope they come back in 2018 with a more serious effort and try again with a better and very tested vehicle and I hope they do well.

Also, I am pretty hyped that now Uncle Donny has "a famous truck"(or at least a partnership in one) and that in spite of it being a door slammer with only a DNF to its name that it has become something of significant value and might be a race truck that's actually worth more than it cost to build.

Last edited:

az_amsoil

Reaction
Dave Sparks ran V2R in a 6100 (I think Safecraft)...so maybe a solid Mint 400 in 2018 is a "reality" :)

JoeyD23

Reaction
I dont think the truck was built in a week....from what I read on it back at mint time was the truck was almost completed and they finished up a few things.

Nope. The truck was a roller essentially. But in a week they did a motor swap and damn near back halved the truck. Painted it also. They did a bunch. What's cool, knowing these guys and having helped get them to the mint, is while this is for TV stuff, they genuinely love Off Road racing. Heavy bought a Pro-Lite and raced loorrs as well. They have done some off road races in the past and also raced 6100 at V2R. It's great exposure for Off Road racing from a standpoint that they show how fun and cool it is from an outsiders set of eyes, not just our own media.

JoeyD23

Reaction
They show doesn't appeal to me personally but I guess the exposure is good for desert racing. Like TrentK said it would have been nice if they took the racing seriously but maybe properly preparing for a race doesn't create enough drama for a reality show.

They took it serious but they weren't planning to race until their schedule freed up about two weeks prior. Then they said let's do it. They are working to finish up the Truck and get it back in the desert more consistently. But they are pure rookies right now learning what it takes to have a full race team, not just some drivers and equipment.

Chris Tobin

Reaction
I haven't had time to watch the episode yet and I wasn't at the mint. Did the truck run a diesel or gas engine?

JDDurfey

Reaction
Here is my question...

Did the Mint not sell out all the available entries this year? I thought that it sold out every year. So how can someone decide two weeks before the race that they are going to race? Did they purchase their entry in advance with the thought of racing and then last minute were able to do so?

I am not a big fan of the show, but I do follow them on Facebook and I really do like the guy's outlook on life and his genuine concern for others. After hurricane Harvey, they loaded up a bunch of their huge trucks and gathered a massive amount of donations and headed to Houston. They did rescues with their trucks and they also paid for a helicopter to rescue people as well. I think they were a little "late to the party" because by they time they gathered their stuff and made the drive to Texas from Utah the majority of the rescue missions were completed. I just hope what they did was not just a publicity stunt for the show.

I had a reoccurring role on a Discovery Channel show back in 04-05 called "Wingnuts". It was executive produced by Thom Beers, (Deadliest Catch, Ice Road Truckers, and a whole slew of shows) The premise of the show was cool, but the onsite producer was trying to hard to re-create Orange County Choppers and that made up drama crap didn't work for our show and it was not renewed for a second season. So I am familiar with how these shows work, and producers love to have drama even though it is a "reality" show. One of the easiest ways to create drama is by having impossible deadlines to meet. Even if there is really no deadline to complete a project, they create one so the cast is in turmoil, which creates drama and is supposed to make great TV. My point is, while I firmly believe these guys love off-road racing, much of what they do right now is driven by the show and trying to keep it on the air.