Diesel smog

650Rider

Reaction
I've got a diesel (1983) regestered prerunner, not so much deisel anymore. My question is, what do you think the prospects are in the near future of having to smog this vehicle? Thanks!

ProfessionalPitMan

Reaction
I've got a diesel (1983) regestered prerunner, not so much deisel anymore. My question is, what do you think the prospects are in the near future of having to smog this vehicle? Thanks!
Not going to happen. They didn't make them with smog equipment. The smog test will be backdated to diesels that were required to run smog equipment.. I think 05 or 06ish? Not sure on the dates, but you should be fine. If not, time to move to Nevada. But really it shouldn't be a problem.

nohandslance

Reaction
I have an 1985 VW Diesel and it needs a yearly smog test, this is just in Washoe and Clarke counties here in Nevada. What does the California DMV say?

sloride

Reaction
Never say never. This is the great democratic state of California afterall.

Uncle_Bob

Reaction
Never say never. This is the great democratic state of California afterall.
Look whos calling the kettle BLACK after our prerun for V2R last year in your truck................. soot boy. ha ha ha

LENNY

Reaction
There going to do some sort of blurp test where you have to take your truck in and they blurp the throttel to see how much black smoke comes out.Dont no how far they will go back.

Uncle_Bob

Reaction
There going to do some sort of blurp test where you have to take your truck in and they blurp the throttel to see how much black smoke comes out.Dont no how far they will go back.
Well that means Sloride will definitly FAIL in this test!

Mike Hobbs

Reaction
Never say never... About two years ago I was getting on the freeway and noticed a white Van with sensors 4"-5" from the ground on both sides of the on ramp. A few months later got a notice in the mail from the Cal Air Resources Board....

Basically, it said to check out a website and fill in my truck info. Also, if I'd like to have my diesel truck used as a Ginny Pig for some testing, it would be returned with a full tank of fuel... One more thing, something about voicing an opinion, as they were rethinking the laws or some nonsense.

BRINGTHERUCKUS

Nimrod de PMC
Reaction
I was talking to a dude at work today, he goes around putting smog equipment on all Large (i believe government?) trucks in CA cool guy.... I know all big diesel trucks for MWD are smogged....

650Rider

Reaction
I mean, can they really make people invest thousands of dollars to retro older diesel trucks that had absolutely no requirements to begin with? Seems a but of a stretch to me.

LENNY

Reaction
I mean, can they really make people invest thousands of dollars to retro older diesel trucks that had absolutely no requirements to begin with? Seems a but of a stretch to me.
O yes they they can.I own concrete pumps and there after any motor over 50hp I have a pump that is a 2002 and CARB says i cant use it to do bussness.I could get a 10,000 fined if im caught.Its ok if your a illegal working in Ca. but if my pump is on a job im a criminal.

chase for food

Reaction
watch out they have been trying to pass a law to test everything that burns any type of fuel,look at the buggy builders bar approved motors.keep your old smog equipment on any vehicle,be ready

650Rider

Reaction
I guess what I'm after is the trucks that have no smog equipment on them... How are they going to test that?

sloride

Reaction
I guess what I'm after is the trucks that have no smog equipment on them... How are they going to test that?
They'll do the snap idle test and an opacity test plus if they want to be real picky about it, a visual test for aftermarket intakes, turbos, intakes horns...etc. Anything that isn't CARB approved and isn't OEM can be illegal.