• Forum membership has its advantages....

Diff cooler set up questions

Fifty

My diff holds 1.5 qts, the commercially available aluminum finned one (afe) adds another .5 qts

I cooked the crap out of my fluid on the last trip out. Smoke, smell, and then emptying it.

So I’m adding the bigger (lol) cover, but I’m thinking of adding a cooler set up.

I’m used to race cars and notbhaving to deal with an axle that will be at minimum 20 inches under the radiator.

And worse if I mount the cooler/radiator in the bed cage.

Do I need to worry about 1 way valves or will the pump act as one?
I plan on running a temp sensor to automatically turn the pump/cooler on over 190-200 degrees and then shut back off under 180.

I just am concerned about airpockets in the cooler, or everything draining back into the diff when the pump isn’t on and over filling the diff.

Kyle D

I have to ask the question of what oil you’re using? Adding a diff cooler seems like pretty great lengths to go to if you just need to adjust the viscosity and type of oil you’re using.

mebuildit

There have been studies done on aftermarket covers. They restrict oil flow over the ring and pinion gears. Put the stock cover back on it and see how it does. I've always had great luck with Redline oil. Might search online for the studies shown. Might even be Banks who did the test if I remember correctly.

Fifty

Lol... Banks is doing it now. That lovely showman. He is just getting ready to sell his version.

Go listen closely through his four videos where he contradicts himself over and over to badmouth different designs.

Par for the course with that guy...
take his **** with a grain of salt.
And since he is releasing his covers this month, I doubt his **** is scientific

Fifty

It’s the new Dana m220... aka Dana 46
Holds 1.6 qts and the afe cover jumps it to 2

Bert is my name

I'd be willing to bet that g.m. comes up with a revised fill level if they haven't already. How did you come to the conclusion that it is running hot? Did you smoke the bearings? I've seen diffs with too much bearing preload run hot. But that was a setup problem.

Bert is my name

I'm becoming less trusting of synthetics and fill for life fluids. Toyota is now running 0w16 in some of the cars and these things sound like they are going to grenade right off the show room. I'm a fan of schaefer lubricants. This stuff sticks to the gears and doesn't fling off. I've also been adding some molybdenum based assembly lube to diffs and gear boxes since most of the oil manufacturers are removing the high pressure lubricants. I pre mix it in my oils prior to filling. My n.p. 435 shifts smoother and runs quieter since doing this.

mebuildit

Lol... Banks is doing it now. That lovely showman. He is just getting ready to sell his version.

Go listen closely through his four videos where he contradicts himself over and over to badmouth different designs.

Par for the course with that guy...
take his **** with a grain of salt.
And since he is releasing his covers this month, I doubt his **** is scientific
I guess, we will have to agree to disagree then. All I can say is that he seems to be trying at least. More than others have done.

Fifty

I guess, we will have to agree to disagree then. All I can say is that he seems to be trying at least. More than others have done.
There have been other companies that have tested all of this.
Lots have tested in the race car world as well.
It’s not a new thing. Manufactures wouldn’t be selling trucks with stock larger covers. Manufacture backed race teams wouldn’t be using covers either.

Heck look at the hall racing cover for the new Chevy Colorado. Square top. And that diff, the m220 shared with Jeep and Rover (and possibly others) only holds 1.5 qts stock.
The factory performance cover holds an extra .5 qts.

I’m just saying if it was anyone BUT banks I think I would pay more attention.

I would think that any of the axle manufacturers would have addressed the cooling issue quite some time ago. It's not like there has been any major changes to axle design in the last 75 years or so. They all run some sort of hypoid gear design and rely on splash oiling. Increasing the oil capacity would allow for a larger area to absorb and disperse heat. Same theory as any other lubricated component. Banks "aerodynamic" design makes him sound like a **** salesman with a mouthful of samples.

Fifty

As an update. “Shockingly” his vids were a lead up to his new cover line.
And his last video didn’t show any of the testing results. He just spewed off that there was a disaster.

Long story short I ran the redline shock proof when I put the new cover on.
My problems seemed to have gone away for a bit, but I haven’t run as hard as I did in the summer and it was also summer.

A few of the bolts backed out of the cover (I forgot to use loctite blue). There was some oil residue in 2 spots on the outside and I figure, between the gear sets being new ish, with only one flush (at 250 miles or so) I might as well drain and replace the fluid. It is more peace of mind than necessity.
I’ll know the fill level is correct, and any gear junk will be gone.

Im wondering if I should step down from the shock proof and go with a torco 80-140 or something else?

It’s a nitro gear set, I have no idea what their metal specs are, but they sell a rebranded 80-140 with their name on it.

The Schaefer gear oil is super tacky and clings to everything. I've run that stuff in quite a few diffs. It's tough to clean during services though. Doesn't seem to discolor or anything. The guys at pro gear here in San Diego use it exclusively in there builds.

jon coleman

The Schaefer gear oil is super tacky and clings to everything. I've run that stuff in quite a few diffs. It's tough to clean during services though. Doesn't seem to discolor or anything. The guys at pro gear here in San Diego use it exclusively in there builds.
yup , shaefer oil has what they call great ' climing' characteristics, lucas too, you know the crank display at the auto parts store u have to crank..also my diff guy told me add an extra court or two, just have a good vent set up, its off road racing, dont worry about leaks.never had an issue w- my 9" in 10+ races never evan looked at when preping.when i sold, still running great.jason hughs built.