Differential Vent

Timmah

Reaction
I'm currently working on a truck that has a pretty heavily trussed Ford 9 inch rear end. Last night while finishing up the 4 link, I noticed that this rear end has no vent. I know the stock rear ends usually have some sort of a vent that probably wont keep dirt out under severe offroad use, but I was just wondering if you guys agree that it's necessary and what a clean solution would be?

GO BIG AND DON'T LOOK DOWN!!!!!!

Kritter

Krittro Campbell
Reaction
Yes you want a vent. We had a dilemna when our new rear was recently built and the vent was not put on yet. We tapped a fitting into the fill hole plug (last minute and couldnt wait to have new vent fabbed) and vented off that...bad idea so dont do it off that. It was only a temporary deal but it was bad. The vent should be off the axle tube somewhere. Run it off the top and then weld some half cut tubing around it to protect the fitting from being broken of by rocks or debree. Route the tubing up one of your links to a K&N type breather and you are set. Make the breathher about 1 foot or so above the axle.

Kris
"I was thinking the exact same thing about you..."

ntsqd

Reaction
Long time ago I was looking at a Rod Hall 8 truck @ the SEMA show. Had rear mounted National 1/4's with about 33 gazillion .100" thick leaves. It's rear vent was a -4 hose out of the top of the axle tube (not the R&P area) that went into one side of the three link's upper A-arm. The K&N vent filter was on a fitting right up against the A-arm's frame pivots at the back of the cab.

TS

"It only seems kinky the first time"
-- Bumpersticker seen in Lost Wages

Crayfish

Reaction
We use a 3/8 i.d. hose for our 9 inch and I think it should be bigger diameter. We blow axle seals every other race.
We run it out of the axle tube and up as high as the frame rail and back down. When I get tired of changing axle seals I guess I will install a bigger one.

Oh well