Dimple die

singlehanded

Reaction
I just set up my shop press today, 20 ton harbor freight one($169) and I am trying to dimple die some 14 guage plate. How exactly do you do it? when should you stop pumping and should it be easy to get the dies apart? HELP PLEASE!!!!

Bonzen

Reaction
If you cant pull the dies apart then you probably didnt make the hole big enough and they are stuck in the bevel.....good luck man. Oh yeah the metal plate will flex up and then flex down and at that point you can stop the press if it's hydraulic..if it's hand operated I dont know maybe someone else does here.

-Ryan

singlehanded

Reaction
oK, I got it figured out but what should I use for my 1/2 die they didnt have any 1/2 hole saws at home depot does anyone make them or should I just use a drill.

CRAIG_HALL

Reaction
What dimple dies do you have? The ones that are sold at Kartek,G&J and a few other shops I think are from leduc but I think resident Dave G machines them. If so the male end is about .005 thousands small so what ever size it looks on a tape use that size drill or if you can use chassis punches(knockouts)just be sure they aren't for emt clearance, although a larger hole wont hurt.Take the time to deurr or bevel the hole. I wish the had a relief machined into them for springback, on large multi dimpled plates they coin real bad.

Anybody know of dimple sets that are made for a particular hydraulic machine,press style with a 1" top holder and common bottom sizes. I have the whole 8 pc. set and all the O.D.'s are different sort of clumsy for multiple/production parts.

singlehanded

Reaction
I got the dezert tools ones 1/2, 1",1 1/2" and 2 inches. So bevel the top side of plate that the male will be touching first. thanks

picone

Reaction
on all the purchased dimple dies, does a piece of tube fit real snug inside so you can weld it?
For example: 1.5" dimple - hole saw 1.5" and after it's dimpled, is it tight enough to weld a 1.5" tube in the hole?

I made a test 1" die and it is dimpled 45 deg. 1" hole saw. I like the stiffness added to the plate and it looks real nice but the hole is too big for a 1" tube. Is this how all the others are? If not i'm going to take some angle out of it and make it fit the 1" tube (maybe 30 deg).

Dominic

Attachments

V8Ranger

Reaction
I have a set that Leduc made and the radius is much smaller. If I remember correctly, a 1" dimple produces a hole about 1 1/8" in diameter. Its about the right size for welding in a 1"x.035" tube. I hope that helps.

Matt

picone

Reaction
Took a while but I've got most of them now. They work pretty good.
[image]http://www.race-dezert.com/ubbthreads/download.php?Number=94838[/image]

Attachments