Dimple Dies

The_Hulk

Reaction
I purchased a set of dimple dies (the LeDuc style), they are supposed to be able to dimple up to .125" thick material but when I try it the piece becomes concave. Anyone have any experience with these kind of dies, and if so any help solving this problem? I am using a hydraulic press to dimple the metal.

Jerry Zaiden

Reaction
They really do not work that great with .125. Is it 4130? If so you might need a bigger press.

jim_moulton

Reaction
After you push the die thru the first side flip it over and run it down till it straightens out. The thicker the material the more you have to straighten it. The leduc dies are best for thicker materials than others on the market. JMHO

V8Ranger

Reaction
I have found this to work pretty well and it may or may not be what Jim was trying to say. You have a male and a female die. After you dimple the hole, flip your piece of metal over and put it back in the press using only the female die and a flat surface. This should straighten out the metal for the most part.

Dave_G

Reaction
Re:"The leduc dies are best for thicker materials than others on the market. JMHO"

Jim,
We designed and manufacture the dimple dies exclusively for Curt. We've been making them for the past 15 years. One of the reasons they work so well on the thicker materials is that we make them out of 4140 and machine them after their heat treated. Makes for a very durable part.

Dave

"I know it all, but I can't remember most of it..."

JrSyko

Jerry Maguire
Reaction
Time for an ignorant question.....what is a dimple die?

See ya in the dirt!

Kritter

Krittro Campbell
Reaction
A 2 piece die with a radius that sandwiches a sheet of metal in between and then is screwed or pressed together and give the "dimple" to the matierial. It is used more for looks it seems in the off road bolt on industry. A lot of industries need to reduce weight, so instead of having a whole saw whole which doesnt look very nice they have a dimple die that makes it look pretty.

Kris
"I was thinking the exact same thing about you..."

motoxscott

Reaction
The dimple also kinda adds strength to the sheet metal. It's gives it a thrid dimension which keeps it from warping and twisting as much.

Did that make sense...........

michael

Reaction
Like this:

Michael <A target="_blank" HREF=http://mkparker.com/goose>mkparker.com/goose</A>

Kritter

Krittro Campbell
Reaction
Is that a Baldwin? If not what?

Kris
"I was thinking the exact same thing about you..."