Dirtbikes

rdc

- users no longer part of the rdc family -
Reaction
I was thinking of getting either a yamaha yz250 or a Honda cr 250 between the years of 1998-2002. I'm trying not to spend to much on a dirtbike if I don't have to. I know these bikes haven't gone through to many changes in these years but is there a certain year you could recommend? What are some pros/cons and what is your experiance with these bikes?

hoeker

Reaction
heard the 99 cr is lots better than the 98, that's the bike i'll be buying next. old enuf it won't cost a fortune, but a good engine and that nice aluminum frame.

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.rosshoek.com>www.rosshoek.com</A>

"to be successful, you must first learn to disagree without being disagreeable."

SJP12

Reaction
If your going to ride places where you need a green sticker then your going to want to get something 97 or older, if you plan on riding tracks the newer the better. First ask yourself where your going to be riding and how much you want to spend. From the year bikes you had talked about getting i would look into the YZ250.

I LIVE MY LIFE 1 SET OF WHOOPS AT A TIME!!!

dezerts10

BANG!! BANG!!
Reaction
given those particular bikes your looking at i would go withthe yz250. i think a yz will probably be my next purchase when its time toget rid of my kx.

Gregg

motoxscott

Reaction
I had a 1999 CR250 and now have a 2001 YZ250F. The CR was awesome, a lot of people say the aluminum frame was too rigid. I beg to differ. When I had the CR I was 135 lbs soaking wet and it was fine. Let the suspension do the work rather than factoring in frame flex as well. The power was awesome, no one builds a better bike than Honda. I never had any problems with it. I also had 100 dyno runs on it, if that paints a better picture of how much use it had.

I rode a 99 YZ250 and didnt like the feel of the bike, it felt small, cramped and low, but thats just me.

I only buy Honda and Yamaha's. If it were me, I'd go for the CR250.

-Scott

rdc

Reaction
Im going to do about 20% track riding and 80% barstow, ocotillo, glamis, beumont etc riding. Whats the deal with the green stickers. Isnt it you can only ride certain times of the year? what times? Im looking to spend $3000-$4750 hopefully around the $3500 range. Im going to be using the bike mostly for jumping also.

singlehanded

Reaction
for that much you should be able to get a 2002. My buddy bought a 99 cr250 1- 1 1/2 years ago for like $2000 or $2500 its an awsome bike, in good shape with the supension all done and most other little upgrades.

midnight landscaper working overtime and I'm full throttle I'm full throttle tonight

motoxscott

Reaction
There are a million ways to get around the green sticker problem. They give out red stickers now for "race" bikes and you can only go riding in different areas based on a schedule they have established for the place. I've even seen new bikes get green stickers still. For the most part as long as you have a spark arrestor it's not a big problem.

You can go to your local dealer and get a out of state resident green sticker for $20 and it's good for a year.

Buy an old bike and use the green sticker for that on the new bike.

The list goes on.............

rdc

Reaction
I knew there were ways around it because I have seen plenty of new bikes with green stickers. I wouldnt want an older honda either. Im upgrading from a 92 yamaha. Still cant decide.

desertratt

Reaction
i have had 2 yzf's and both where great. right now i have a xr 650 that i race. since you are going to be riding mostly in the desert, if i where you i'd think about getting a four stroke. i know they're not as exciting as a 2 stroke but it will live longer with less maintance. as for the red stickers. i never had a problem with them. they are good in all the areas you want to ride in the parts of the season you want to ride. attached is a pic of my recent expeance with an 02 cr 250.

drive fast and take chances!!

Attachments

rdc

Reaction
I dont think I will ever see myself owning a 4 stroke until I have too. I have ridden a few and dont really care for them and Im mostly going to be jumping so a dont want a heavy bike since I only weigh 150 lbs. My dad has a honda 650 and its unbelivable its has all the california engine restrictions removed and it hauls a$$. Thanks for the input and nice arm looks like mine did not to long ago.

motoxscott

Reaction
Have you ever ridden a YZ250F or 426 ?? If not you'd be amazed on how non-4 stroke like they are.

rdc

Reaction
I have ridin both. The 426 feels to big but has gobs of torque, fun bike just not for me. It doesnt compare to a 2 stroke 250 IMO. I have ridin a yz250F once and it didnt have enough power I thought. Im a person that loves to rev a bike out and be on the throttle all the time. All that compression release stuff bugs too but you would get used to that. Just not into the 4 strokes so what about the 98-02 cr's and yz's?

motoxscott

Reaction
Go with a CR250. You won't be disappointed. I still wish I had my '99. I think Hondas quality is a little better than Yamaha.

IDRA_CRB

Reaction
If anyone is interested in a Kawasaki KX 500, Honda of North Hollwood recently bought the remaining stock from a Kawi dealer that went out-of-business.

They have one 2001 and two 2002 KX 500's. These are brand new with full warranty.

$3995.

Reese

cleartoy

Reaction
Ive got a 99YZ250 and I love it. ITs got a nice powerband and handles great.

94 Toyota stdcab 2x4
99 Yamaha YZ250

Got Sand??

sirhk100

Reaction
Okay, first off. The green sticker red sticker thing is seasonal. For the places you listed to ride at you probably won't be doing a ton of riding during the summer and those are the months that are off limits for Red stickers. That being said, I've never seen anyone being harrassed about it yet... Also, it's easy to get green stickers.

As for the bikes you've mentioned. Might stay away from the '98CR250, my friend has broke his frame twice. Go to a local track on a weekend when they are busy and talk to people, half of them will probably let you take some laps on them.

4 strokes kick ass. My YZ400 had some power but I'll agree it did feel heavy. Also, that top end was VERY expensive when it grenaded. My '03CRF450 though feels WAY light. My friend rides '00 YZ250 and both he and I think mine feels lighter, and narrower, as well as more flickable in the air. The power on mine destroys his on the track and in the dunes. Mine in the dunes kicks ass.

Shoot, duh, I also forgot my friend has been riding a '00YZ250 since it was new in '00. He's never had a problem with it as far as I know and is very happy with it. He too is 2 stroke till the end but he rode mine for about 30 minutes at Glamis and said if it rides that good at the track he may be persuaded on his next purchase.

Khris

'92 Ford Exploder (AKA Dezert Limo cause it's loaded)

Ryno

Reaction
Either the CR or YZ are great bikes. I will second or third the motion to stay away from a CR until '01. I've ridden every year from 94-03, and they got the bike to stop the headshake in 01' I've had my 94 for almost 5 years now, and I refuse to sell it because it has been so good to me. Never done a top end yet, all I do is normal maintenance (ie-oil, filter, muffler packing, etc). My friend has a 00 YZ and he loves it, the bike feels skinny to me. My CR feels like a cadillac that went to Jenny Craig.

Ryno

Build it like a Rhino, and Leave it be.

michael_loomis

Reaction
RIDE RED

rdc

Reaction
2001 Dirtrider shootout results
1st 2001 Honda Cr250 (solid chassis, weak low end)
2nd 2002 Yamaha Yz250 (Best power band, good front brake, cramped riding position)

2002 Dirtbike magazines shootout results
1st 2002 Honda Cr 250 (complaints about vibration, very lightweight)
2nd 2002 Yamaha Yz 250 (great engine)

2003 Dirtrider shootout results
1st 2003 Yamaha Yz 250 (New frame, great motor)
2003 Honda Cr 250 (Best suspension, lightweight, seat to peg tight for tall riders)

Anyone know the results for 1998, 1999, and 2000 or even justify these results?